• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Auld Lang Syne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Text wall edit

Um, you didn't identify the other titles that I mentioned (My Doll House, Yui Shop). You have a valid point, but in a sense, you kinda killed it by not even bothering to identify those titles as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
LordByronius wrote:
Text wall edit

Um, you didn't identify the other titles that I mentioned (My Doll House, Yui Shop). You have a valid point, but in a sense, you kinda killed it by not even bothering to identify those titles as well.

Are you that petty and eager to present yourself as the more reasonable person by calling three sentences a "text wall"? And then saying his point is invalid because you just can't help but be as wildly and unreasonably pedantic as possible?

Way to go, man.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The thing about Oreimo was that it was a horrible show, and yet tons of people loved it anyway. I should have bought a half-dozen boxsets and then held onto then until I could extract the maximum price from the fans. Would have been a perfect revenge I reckon.

I hear ya, bro. I really wish I did the same thing. It really tears me up inside when I see how much people are willing to pay for such garbage.

I don't think that OreImo was garbage, but because of the main character, it wasn't a favorite of mine. Since it's a HD title I'll wait for a Blu-ray release that probably will never come, before I think much about buying it. If Aniplex USA had put the character commentaries on the US DVD release, I _might_ have gone for a low-rez DVD release.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

One thing I always wondered was how Japanese teens view gay relationships. At least here, what with gay marriage being legalized in states and there being a very strong gay rights movement, people will be exposed to what homosexual couples are like. People who enjoy yaoi seem to support gay rights/marriage. But what about those in Japan? Do they think gay couples can be defined with "uke" and "seme"? I really would like to know.

In addition to what vashfanatic said, I wanted to share some insights from my own experience teaching teens at a Japanese high school this past year.

In general, Japanese teens are discouraged from standing out too much both by adults and their peers, and this extends to standing out as part of a "couple" in romantic relationships. There is enough heterosexual dating going on at my high school, but many students choose to date someone outside their homerooms and conduct their relationship somewhat privately. They usually only really hang out with their boyfriend/girlfriend alone after school, and only hold hands when other students (and especially teachers like me!) can't see them. Of course, student behavior does vary by school. (Lower-level high schools especially seem to have students who don't want to conform to the societal pressures to study or be private about their relationships, at least as I'm told by my friends that work at those schools). If even heterosexual relationships are somewhat private in high school, you can only imagine how reluctant gay/lesbian students would be to reveal their sexual orientation to their peers and teachers, and I think its rare to find openly gay/lesbian students in Japanese high schools. I'm not aware of any LGTB-friendly groups or gay-straight alliances at Japanese high schools, but I do hope they are out there, somewhere. I'm only aware that they exist at a limited level at Japanese universities. The lack of openly gay and lesbian students and visible gay/lesbian relationships in high schools translates to a lot of Japanese teens ignorant about these issues, probably comparable to American teens a generation ago.

When I showed one group of 17-18 high school students the movie Mean Girls to compare Japanese and American high schools, I was surprised about the negative reaction/surprise towards the gay best friend character in the movie. Many of them laughed nervously whenever he was on screen. In explaining why she would rather attend a Japanese high school than an American one, one student said she didn't want a guy friend (like the character) who wore make-up and clothes like him. It was then I realized how little exposure my students had to gay classmates compared to my own experience in high school. True, that character in the movie was a stereotype, but the problem was they didn't have enough experience to realize he was one. Of course, the girls in that class barely talk to boys in general, so I doubt any of them have a male friend whom they know is gay. This was also a group of mostly female students, many of whom I know watch anime like Hetalia, so watching anime with gay characters obviously does not equal openness to homosexuality in other parts of life. Looking back, I wish I had used that class as more of a teaching moment, but with that level of inexperience and ignorance about those issues it was hard to know where to begin.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Are you that petty and eager to present yourself as the more reasonable person by calling three sentences a "text wall"?

Do you go straight into prejudice mode every time something doesn't agree with you? The intent of being petty and showing blatant narcissism wasn't there, so sorry if I burst your bubble right then and there.

Plus i've seen in the past where "admins" (for lack or a better descriptor) here warn people for quoting blocks of text, some as little as what I "excised," so I apologize, but if you can refer me to guidelines on what is acceptable block text quoting guidelines are on ANN, then please link them to clear up the confusion. It'd be most appreciated.

Quote:
And then saying his point is invalid because you just can't help but be as wildly and unreasonably pedantic as possible?

If your gonna attack a position one has and not be well informed of the context of such info, then what weight does ones argument have in the first place?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Do you go straight into prejudice mode every time something doesn't agree with you?

Nope! I wouldn't be able to handle this job if I did.

Quote:
The intent of being petty and showing blatant narcissism wasn't there, so sorry if I burst your bubble right then and there.

You don't really understand how you come across half the time so this doesn't surprise me. Look at your wildly sexist and nasty comments on nearly every cosplay article we've run. I'm sure you think all of that is totally acceptable too!

Quote:

Plus i've seen in the past where "admins" (for lack or a better descriptor) here warn people for quoting blocks of text, some as little as what I "excised," so I apologize, but if you can refer me to guidelines on what is acceptable block text quoting guidelines are on ANN, then please link them to clear up the confusion. It'd be most appreciated.

Faking confusion is amateur hour condescension, man. You know exactly what reasonable is. This forum isn't some rubik's cube of rules where you just don't know what is and isn't OK. You've been here long enough, post here often enough to know exactly what we're OK with and what we're not. Spare me this melodramatic nonsense.

You know there's no reason to be that big a dick to Brian and then pretend that you don't know you're being a dick. Stop it. Just talk to people like they're human beings that have even an ounce of your respect and we'll all get along just fine.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just talk to people like they're human beings that have even an ounce of your respect and we'll all get along just fine.

Says the guy who deliberately eggs some users on so that he can have an excuse to ban them. And if they don't rise to the occasion, bans them anyway.

Jeesh, I've held that in for thirteen months . . .

Sunday Silence, you need to calm down. I do think you overreacted to what vinamara said. But more importantly, you need to realise that this battle is unwinnable and just walk away while you still can.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Just talk to people like they're human beings that have even an ounce of your respect and we'll all get along just fine.

Says the guy who deliberately eggs some users on so that he can have an excuse to ban them.

You guys are totally victims, man.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You guys are totally victims, man.

I know, right? That's what I tell myself every morning when I stare into the mirror, and every night to help me get to sleep.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
A prime example of how homosexuality is viewed in Japan is in the from of celebrity Hard Gay, who is neither hard nor gay but who is arguably the most well-known gay character in the whole country. Just watch some of his acts and wonder whether those would fly in the West without resulting in boycotts and lawsuits. Laughing

Homosexuality is seen as a phase that kids (especially girls) are just expected to grow out of. But once adults, don't ever come out of the closet, or you could lose your job and people wouldn't want to be associated with you or risk having the same reputation, etc. (In Japan, your reputation is everything to you and your family.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6