• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ringoiero360 wrote:
Happy at first, but here come the doubts. Is NIS America really a bad company?

They have had a lot of snags, but aside from Pandora Hearts (which the issue sounds more like the master copy they received than from what they did), they have always made good. If a DVD had a playback issue or if there was an artbox issue, they ran an easy exchange program (much simpler than what Bandai did).

Their Blurays do weird things (send you back to the start menu if you hit stop or shut the player off) but nothing unforgivable. Their releases come in beautiful boxes with nice hardcover books. If you're a collector, you will appreciate them.

I have everything they've released so far and am a happy customer. Once again, they have had some problems (and so have Funimation, Bandai, etc.), but they are quick to fix them.
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
ringoiero360 wrote:
Happy at first, but here come the doubts. Is NIS America really a bad company?

They have had a lot of snags, but aside from Pandora Hearts (which the issue sounds more like the master copy they received than from what they did), they have always made good. If a DVD had a playback issue or if there was an artbox issue, they ran an easy exchange program (much simpler than what Bandai did).

Their Blurays do weird things (send you back to the start menu if you hit stop or shut the player off) but nothing unforgivable. Their releases come in beautiful boxes with nice hardcover books. If you're a collector, you will appreciate them.

I have everything they've released so far and am a happy customer. Once again, they have had some problems (and so have Funimation, Bandai, etc.), but they are quick to fix them.

Thank you for the reply. This is the only series I've ever loved enough to want to buy and their boxsets do look nice (hoping for a dvd/blu-ray pack like they did for some other series). Some people complained about the issue with PH, so I hope nothing bad happens with Natsume. I'm going to stay optimistic and will definitely purchase whatever set they make day one. ^^
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If CR is part of the whole deal, I will be happy to buy this release (although I still think it deserves a dub,) but as it stands I feel that I'm being sold the same product with possibly lesser quality.

Of course you're being sold the same product. When a person watching a TV show and if impressed enough to go out and buy the home video release a rational person usually expects to get the same product that they saw.

I have to ask you how do you figure the home video release's quality will be less than the CR stream? Particularly when formats haven't even been confirmed yet. I am willing to bet that the on-disc features and menus alone will make the release better quality than the stream. As for video quality I've never seen a HD-DVD or BluRay look worse than a stream.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:

I doublechecked, and at NISA the Ho5L boxset is $47.99 while at TRSI it's $43.99. Unless NISA had some sort of super-early preorder deal that I missed(?).

That's the initial price but with shipping NISA was cheaper (unless you are a TRSI member or are ordering more than one item from them). Although I might have misread the shipping costs on TRSI. But on NISA shipping is free.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
poonk wrote:

I doublechecked, and at NISA the Ho5L boxset is $47.99 while at TRSI it's $43.99. Unless NISA had some sort of super-early preorder deal that I missed(?).
That's the initial price but with shipping NISA was cheaper (unless you are a TRSI member or are ordering more than one item from them). Although I might have misread the shipping costs on TRSI. But on NISA shipping is free.
Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. I always make sure to meet the $50 minimum for free S&H at RightStuf though-- in the case of the Ho5L boxset it was only another $6 so I also preordered v06 of the manga, something I'd be ordering anyway and comes out just a week later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is fantastic!

Will certainly be preordering these as soon as they are available. I'd pretty much given up hope of ever getting a physical copy of this anime. I've rarely been so happy to be proven wrong. And SOOO happy they've got all 4 seasons!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best licensing news this year!!! Natsume is my favorite anime of all time! I'm so happy it's finally licensed! I already own all the Japanese BD releases but I certainly have no qualms about re-buying.

To be honest I'm a little ehhh about NIS America licensing it however because their prices are higher and you can never get them at cheaper prices on like Amazon and stuff. It's pretty clear they're dictating to distributors what prices they can charge for the releases. It's because of the high prices that I've yet to buy WORKING!! or Arakawa Under the Bridge.

However with Natsume, I'm almost willing to pay any price. Hell I've already spent like 50000 yen on the Japanese releases. Another hundred bucks isn't gonna kill me. Anime hyper I love this series too much.

Anyone know how much NIS America's shipping to Japan would cost? They just list which services they provide, not how much it actually costs. Do they even ship to Japan or does it fall out of the "most countries" category?

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Also I am not sure if I can watch Natsume Yuujinchou with anything but Kamiya Hiroshi as the soft & soothing quality of his performance as Natsume is one of the major reasons I love the series so much.

QFT.

Though with NIS America's prices, even if I wouldn't watch it, I would kind of expect a dub to be included, ya know?

NIS America, treat Natsume well. I will be very disappointed if you don't. VERY. DISAPPOINTED.

Ahhhhhhhhh~~~ So happyyyyyyy!!!!

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi starts airing in a couple days and volume 13 of the manga will be out a couple days after that. This is all happening too fast!!!! XDDDDD
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already own all the Japanese BD releases but I certainly have no qualms about re-buying.

Out of curiosity, why would you buy it if you already have the all of the Blurays? Is it because you'd like English subs (seems unlikely if you're living in Japan) or the collector goodies? Just wondering and I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

As far as shipping goes, I have no clue. Sorry.
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy a lot of anime, maybe one series every two years; But even though I have seen this series over and over again on crunchy I will still buy it, I like it that much.

You would think they would dub this and show it on tv; little kids would love the cute characters.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
If CR is part of the whole deal, I will be happy to buy this release (although I still think it deserves a dub,) but as it stands I feel that I'm being sold the same product with possibly lesser quality.

Of course you're being sold the same product. When a person watching a TV show and if impressed enough to go out and buy the home video release a rational person usually expects to get the same product that they saw.
Except anime is different. For the LONGEST time, the main feature of anime DVDs in America has been the localization, in my opinion. A great dub can improve a series, and any English dub at all instantly makes a series easier to throw in a player and show to somebody.

Sub-only DVDs are fantastic if it's something that you can't get elsewhere, but if it's already all over the internet (and with an already fantastic localization and subtitling job,) I fail to see how it can be improved upon.

Now, alright, I'm sure there are some people who do have friends who'll sit through a subtitled DVD but not a stream, but I feel that it's a pretty rare case, and somebody's usually just going to buy a subtitled DVD for themselves while linking everybody else to the stream.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I have to ask you how do you figure the home video release's quality will be less than the CR stream? Particularly when formats haven't even been confirmed yet. I am willing to bet that the on-disc features and menus alone will make the release better quality than the stream. As for video quality I've never seen a HD-DVD or BluRay look worse than a stream.
Format and resolution were never a concern. My point involved possible defects and a new translation/subtitles. I've already voiced my concern over what hoops I'd have to jump through if something happened, be it with the physical product or the video/audio itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already own all the Japanese BD releases but I certainly have no qualms about re-buying.

Out of curiosity, why would you buy it if you already have the all of the Blurays? Is it because you'd like English subs (seems unlikely if you're living in Japan) or the collector goodies? Just wondering and I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

I understand Japanese so I can watch the series without subs, but I love this series so much that I want the North American release too. =) Gotta show the series [financial] support. I want to help it do well in the States.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
I would rather pay for DVDs straight from CrunchyRoll, because they've done such a good job already and I would love to support that more.

Now, it could very well be that NISA is indeed publishing the title for CrunchyRoll, much like how Bandai published 5cm Per Second for them, but the press release does not explicitly state this.

5cm/sec was a successful experiment for CR ... since any experiment you learn from is a success, and CR learned that they didn't want to do that again.

If there is a relationship, it would be some arrangement that provided for CR's streaming rights without conflicting with NIS's license bid.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Except anime is different. For the LONGEST time, the main feature of anime DVDs in America has been the localization, in my opinion. A great dub can improve a series, and any English dub at all instantly makes a series easier to throw in a player and show to somebody.

Funny and I thought the main selling point of anime in America were the stories and art work. Localization has been one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations where people will complain about it no matter what is done. Well before you can just throw it into the player there needs to be a physical release. So basically the physical product is easy to tote around and show to people, regardless of what languages are on the disc.
Quote:

Sub-only DVDs are fantastic if it's something that you can't get elsewhere, but if it's already all over the internet (and with an already fantastic localization and subtitling job,) I fail to see how it can be improved upon.

I fail to see the relevance of this, once something is released it gets all over the internet eventually. We're talking about the kind of people that want to buy physical copies of shows. Those kinds of people tend to like buying home video products after they've seen(TV, streaming, w/e). The some of the improvements I've noted have been on-disc extras, packaging, menus, better screen resolution than streaming and the warm, fuzzy feeling you get holding a legit physical copy of a show you loved. Most of those are 100% guarantees with physical releases that will improve the product while. There being defects(or in your words an inferior product) or even getting a faulty disc isn't as inevitable as you are implying.

Since you want to keep getting personal. Personally I find CR's subs to be good enough but far from fantastic and would like it if NISA does their own translation/subtitling.

Quote:
Now, alright, I'm sure there are some people who do have friends who'll sit through a subtitled DVD but not a stream, but I feel that it's a pretty rare case, and somebody's usually just going to buy a subtitled DVD for themselves while linking everybody else to the stream.

If you are going to start saying or feeling what is rare and what is not then you will need more proof than your personal experiences and bias. I don't know what sort of viewing situations are talking about.

Quote:

Format and resolution were never a concern. My point involved possible defects and a new translation/subtitles. I've already voiced my concern over what hoops I'd have to jump through if something happened, be it with the physical product or the video/audio itself.

So? Every new day brings an assortment of things that can go wrong with streaming sites, ISPs, personal computers, and/or the internet as a whole. You can't worry about such things for one sector and pretend another sector can't have problems.

I really have to question your sincerity about your concerns over new translations/subtitles when you're asking for a dub. Which basically is asking for a new translation and the possibility of dubtitles.

If you don't want to buy these releases because you've seen them on CR just say so but leave the generalizations you've formed just from your personal experiences out of it.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Heck Yeah NATSUME!! This announcement made me so happy!! Are they going to release each season individually?

My only complaint with NISA is that there is no easy way to buy these if you live in Canada. You always run the risk of getting hit with duties, so it's like you pay a lot for the premium set, shipping, and possibly duties/tax/whatever on top of that. Even if I order from Rightstuf it's the same problem. It's a huge deterrent, which is why I never ordered Toradora, or hell, anything they've licensed. This is a release I will not miss, but I really think they need to think of Canadians a little more. We're apart of North America, we shouldn't have to struggle to get these North American releases.
Thallium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
Excellent news. As soon as i've read confirmation that the release doesn't contain any obvious encoding or subtitle timing issues, i will put in an order at my local anime distributor. This was one of those shows that desperately needed a license, so hurray to this. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5