• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it. Couldn't justify an import.

Don't be ungrateful. We are lucky it's getting released in NA, so support these guys and BUY IT.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
I actually did a fangirl scream when I found out about this, it's one of the nicest things to ring in the new year I can think of, I am going to buy all the seasons (in the premium editions if they release them and I can afford them before they sell out, otherwise I guess I'll have to hope for a standard release), and I am really hoping they release it on Blu-ray as I am about to get a player and HDTV (I'm saving up), still, I'll be happy with DVD, I was pretty doubtful that this series would ever get a physical media release.

While I don't personally care for dubs, I agree with others who have noted that this series might really appeal to children and that a dub could potentially help with that. I hope that Hotarubi no Mori E gets a physical media release with dubs as well as original language with subs.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty stoked!! Between this and House of Five Leaves, NISA has won the 2011 license announcements! Just preordered Ho5L today; looking forward to ordering this, too!
rabrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
That's really the only point I care to rebuke from your post because this has really gotten out of hand. I tried to voice my opinion, but I feel that I'm being antagonized for it. I simply wished to be able to show my favourite anime to a larger audience, and as it stands that's not gonna happen.

You've been very good about elaborating your thoughts in a measured and reasonable manner, so I hope you might permit me to point out the exact point that other posters began to feel antagonized - your first sentence: "Quite frankly I'd rather it remain unlicensed if it's not going to receive a dub."

It's likely you meant to express your preference that some other company - one that would release a dub - picked up the license rather than NIS. Alas, as written, it expresses a churlish "if I can't have what I want, no one gets anything at all" sentiment. I don't believe that is what you meant... but that's what we had to go on. It made a poor first impression that not only undercut your followups, it antagonized anyone already weary from earlier declarations of "no dub no justice!"

I'd note that I'd very much like to be able to play a dubbed version for my non-sub-friendly circle. However, I'm happy to have a physical release, and content to enjoy the subs.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I actually did a fangirl scream when I found out about this, it's one of the nicest things to ring in the new year I can think of, I am going to buy all the seasons (in the premium editions if they release them and I can afford them before they sell out, otherwise I guess I'll have to hope for a standard release), and I am really hoping they release it on Blu-ray as I am about to get a player and HDTV (I'm saving up), still, I'll be happy with DVD, I was pretty doubtful that this series would ever get a physical media release.

While I don't personally care for dubs, I agree with others who have noted that this series might really appeal to children and that a dub could potentially help with that. I hope that Hotarubi no Mori E gets a physical media release with dubs as well as original language with subs.

Yeah, I never thought this series, as wonderful as it is, would ever get a Stateside release either. Very happy that it will though! The series is very popular here in Japan but it seems to go mostly unnoticed overseas. It's a real hidden gem, and I hope this license will give it more exposure. Let's hope all those views on Crunchyroll will also translate into DVD purchases.

With NISA picking up Natsume, I wouldn't be too surprised if they decided to pick up Hotarubi no Mori he down the road. I watched it in theaters and it's a wonderful little story and with the same staff as Natsume, its production values are very high.
Elves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
OMG. OMg. Omg!! I'm flailing so much and can no longer sit still! THANK YOU NIS America!! *dances for joy like a lunatic*
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Yeah, I never thought this series, as wonderful as it is, would ever get a Stateside release either. Very happy that it will though! The series is very popular here in Japan but it seems to go mostly unnoticed overseas. It's a real hidden gem, and I hope this license will give it more exposure. Let's hope all those views on Crunchyroll will also translate into DVD purchases.

Considering we've just had five pages of people squeeing over this I've got my fingers crossed as well. I'd love to hear numbers on how well it actually does sell, to me it feels like the series has built itself good-sized fanbase for what it is (in the English-speaking world, I know this thing sells like crazy in Japan) so I'd love to see just how many people really do like this show.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
I do still intend to buy this show, but have remembered that there would be no point in getting a Blu-ray-only release because I'm in the u.k. and there aren't any officially multi-region Blu-ray players available yet, I have an excellent multi/all-region DVD player that has never refused to play any official release, so DVD is fine, and if the price is a little higher because they're only releasing it as a DVD and Blu-ray double play pack I'm not going to refuse to get it on the basis of that as long as I can afford it, but sadly I will not get to experience the joys of Natsume Yuujin Chou in lossless HD for the time being, even if they do release a Blu-ray.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Considering we've just had five pages of people squeeing over this I've got my fingers crossed as well. I'd love to hear numbers on how well it actually does sell, to me it feels like the series has built itself good-sized fanbase for what it is (in the English-speaking world, I know this thing sells like crazy in Japan) so I'd love to see just how many people really do like this show.

My only fear is that we'll have a situation like xxxHOLiC on our hands, where we were denied the second season just when things were presumably really going to get good with the Spider's Grudge arc. Unfortunately, we're in a Catch-22 wherein our fears might be realized if we don't take a chance and pay for the available seasons of Natsume as they come out. Hopefully the sales will be good enough that we get the whole series.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I just saw this. So exciting!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

I think what we need is people who like the series enough to buy it. If everyone loves it but no one buys because they can watch for free on Crunchyroll or whatever, then yeah......

Kelly wrote:
My only fear is that we'll have a situation like xxxHOLiC on our hands, where we were denied the second season just when things were presumably really going to get good with the Spider's Grudge arc. Unfortunately, we're in a Catch-22 wherein our fears might be realized if we don't take a chance and pay for the available seasons of Natsume as they come out. Hopefully the sales will be good enough that we get the whole series.

They already announced the first 4 seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5