• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RentAnime.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
I saw this about a week or so ago. I'm loving this! (I didn't know there were others out there, forgive me). I've already looked at the selections and they have all the anime I want to try out so I might sign up when I go back to college next month. I'm starting work study (if I can find a job) and my pay will help with the monthly fee. Very Happy
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
Also my family uses NetFlix(they don't like anime)so chances are, I won't be switching over anytime soon... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
Have you guys checked out AnimeForest.com? That's the online service i've been using for a few months. They have 2200+ titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
12String wrote:
One benefit we don't push much yet is that most titles are available for purchase at 50% off SRP. It's a 'keep it and we send you the case' thing once you have a disc in your possession.

Are you trying to make penniless anime fans even poorer?
Melonpan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:14 am Reply with quote
Theres another neflix anime rental service. I believe they launched beginning of June - called Animetakeout. ( http://www.animetakeout.com )

I got a flyer at Anime Expo with a discount code for their 3 out plan for 3 months...code is : takeout , in case anyone wants to check it out. I'm not sure when the code is valid til though.

Their site is fast and the turnaround is fast. They didn't have the old anime blackjack in their inventory, i requested it and they stocked it.

I tried netflix for anime but gave up when the queue for inu-yasha was over a month long.
Hinatakicksbutt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:33 am Reply with quote
Netflix doesn't have all the anime does it?

Last edited by Hinatakicksbutt on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote
As a subscriber to both Netflix AND Greencine, i weigh the pros and cons almost the same when it comes to Anime rentals.

Netflix: Smile Decent Anime Library although very limited. (You won't find rare titles like Gundam Stardust Memory or Riding Bean here.
Mad Even Never titles like the upcoming Blue Gender Movie is not in their inventory. And as Areaseven mentioned, the price has increased. (The cost goes to new shipping centers and a bigger Movie catalogue.)

Greencine
: Very Happy Much bigger Anime inventory than Netflix, no sales tax added for those who dwell within the east coast.
They even have a cute lil' message board on their site. (although i don't really care for, it's still an incentive nonetheless.)
Evil or Very Mad Most titles are next to impossible to receive!! (I hadda wait almost 3 months just to get an obscure title like Argentosoma,thus instead of waiting, i picked up the whole set courtesy of Ebay for $40 (the real deal, no Shitty HK bootleg.)

Both services are useful when it comes to deciding if a DVD is worth the purchase.Unless i know a title is worth my dollar$ I.E. JoJo's Bizarre adventure, i usually live by the "try before you buy".method. Wink
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I've decided to go with takeout this next month and so far they sent what I wanted pretty quickly....only problem....they sent it out of order...granted the titles they chose to send weren't dependent on order....but it was rather frustrating that they sent 13-15 on my queue instead of the ones at the top...especially since none of those on the top were listed at delay or unavailable...
Cowboy Bebop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The biggest suggestion I have is an obvious one. Make sure you offer the complete series. When I checked out your boogiepop page a couple of days ago you had disc 1, 2, and 4. The two reasons I went with Greencine over NetFlix is that Greencine offered more series, but more importantly all the series were complete. I understand you just started, but I can't stress enough the importance of this.
Cowboy Bebop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I live on the east coast and it usually takes 3 days for them to get the movie, then three days back. works out to around 3 dvd's a week, so 12 a month. That equals a little more than $1.50 a disc, which I think is worth it. If RentAnime can get their selection up and cut the turn around time down to 4 days instead of six, I'll give them a shot.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
I've decided to go with takeout this next month and so far they sent what I wanted pretty quickly....only problem....they sent it out of order...granted the titles they chose to send weren't dependent on order....but it was rather frustrating that they sent 13-15 on my queue instead of the ones at the top...especially since none of those on the top were listed at delay or unavailable...

So they don't have anything like Personal Series on GC?
Melonpan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
I think he meant that they sent him # 13, 14 and 15 on his queue...not that they sent the series out of order. Luckily, I didn't have a problem with that. Animetakeout sent me the first 2 on my queue and then #7 on my queue. I emailed support about having a series lock and they emailed me back saying they are implementing that feature and should be in end of next week.

whats a personal series at GC?

BTW cool icon....I love samurai Champloo!!!!
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Melonpan wrote:

whats a personal series at GC?

At GreenCine there is an option called "Personal Series" to deal with queues. For instance if you had all of Full Metal Panic in your queue, and you wanted to make sure that you get each disc in order, instead of whichever was available, you could put them into a "personal series". You could also lock your queue so that they would only send the discs on the order they are in on the queue.

Melonpan wrote:
BTW cool icon....I love samurai Champloo!!!!

Arigato!

BTW just saw that Netflix stock was down 28% today..
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
Not that it really bother me that much online, but 'she' :-p

That's what I meant. They sent me (Queue Item #13) Gravitation 1, (Queue Item #14) Texhnolyze 2 and (Queue Item #15) Fruits Basket 3 (I own Texhnolyxe 1 and Fruits Basket 1 and 2 so I skipped over those)

A queue lock of some sort would be much appreciated because I put the items in my queue in a certain order because that's the order I want...even if it means delays.
Melonpan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
Oops I meant "She" - Sorry Fallen Embers =( I sometimes automatically type "he" as default. Sorry. I guess I need say "he or she " from now on as a habit.

I own all of fruits basket since i love the series so much. I bought the cute Kyo hats that Funimation was selling at the Anime Exp and the Kyo stuff anime! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2