• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Khan Job

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well no one else has even mentioned it, but I plan to get the DBZ double feature on BD. Actually I've NEVER seen these specials.

So it will be new for me.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Ooo, I'm so excited about both Ghengis Khan and Mongol. The Mongol Empire is one of my areas of study (even now that I'm done with school, I still do research sometimes). I fully expect everything to be idealized and probably not 100% historically accurate, but that's okay. I'm just a huge Chingis Khan fangirl <3

Also, I'm a huge School Rumble fangirl, so this was a pretty great Shelf Life!
Selkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
drowz wrote:
forgive my ignorance, but wasn't genghis khan a big part of east asian history? at least, from my recollection of my classes it had been. unless east asia refers strictly to japan, my terminology might be off, if so my apologies...i've gotten into these confusions before as where i grew up before (glasgow), asia generally meant the middle east whereas in the states it refers moreso to the orient nations (regardless that they're all in asia).

Yes, he was very important, but here in America, where all the concentration in world history is placed on Roman, Greek, and British history, Kahn, along with many other world conquerers, has been reduced to a footnote in the history books.

And as to your second question, yes, Asia usually refers to China, Korea, Vietnam, and a few other countries in Asia Major ( Japan is included if one refers to Asia as "the Orient). Many people seem to forget that Arabia, Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries ( otherwise referred to as Asia Minor) are also part of Asia. I just recently discovered my dad doesn't consider anyone from India all the way to Turkey an Asian! (It had something to do with all of them being descended from Aryans.)

Anyway, the name Glasgow sounds familiar, in what country is it located? For some reason, my mind is telling me Russia, but I think that is incorrect.

Confused
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
After seeing your room, methinks I need to get more shelves (you have the exact same kind as me)!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I like that Funi is releasing BDs, and really want to support anime in HD.

That said ... why mostly just these DBZ movies (with a live action or two thrown in for color?) Please, almost anything else. Maybe a series or three (Afro Samurai doesn't count.) Everytime they find their way into my cart, they always face expulsion before checkout. It's too hard to justify regular price on a mediocre pair of movies that's seen enough iterations to be on VHS.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Generic: I'm waiting for Bamboo to tackle the Nuku Nuku collection myself...Crying or Very sad

vash: Actually, they came out the same year.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like that collector bought on an entire Borders' collection of manga Very Happy Awesome!

Also, <3 Sawachika Eri
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either of the DBZ Cooler movies since their original DVD release a few years ago, but I do recall the extra dialogue and background music. I remember a scene from the first film when Gohan went to get a Senzu bean and Yajirobe complained to Korin as he gave it to him. That led to an off-screen conversation during a scene where it was originally silent in the Japanese version. I believe it went something like:

Yajirobe: I get to be the bean daddy this time! Bean daddy!
Korin: (after Gohan flies away) What's a bean daddy?
Yajirobe: I don't know. Speaking of beans, let's make some chili.

I would have preferred silence.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the writer on "point of no return" for KKM. I watched 62 episodes of that pure mediocre crap, and I finally realized I've wasted more than 20 hours of my life over the past year. Now there's a second season that's going to be 39 more episodes? No thanks.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
What degree? Rolling Eyes I don't think my teacher actually had a history degree. And having looked at my nephews' history texts, I doubt they'll learn anything at all accurate.

I meant a teaching degree for basic fact checking. Of course, you may have remember it wrong, too. Wink (<--joking, no insult intended)

The only one of the items reviewed in this that I've actually seen is KKM!, and while I liked watching it the first time around, it is not a series I'd ever watch again (and thus buy). It's a mixed bag: sometimes it's hilariously funny, other times exciting, but often dumb. If I could pack and choose episodes, I'd consider it, but as a series? No way.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
drowz wrote:
forgive my ignorance, but wasn't genghis khan a big part of east asian history? at least, from my recollection of my classes it had been. unless east asia refers strictly to japan, my terminology might be off, if so my apologies...i've gotten into these confusions before as where i grew up before (glasgow), asia generally meant the middle east whereas in the states it refers moreso to the orient nations (regardless that they're all in asia).

Yes, he was very important, but here in America, where all the concentration in world history is placed on Roman, Greek, and British history, Kahn, along with many other world conquerers, has been reduced to a footnote in the history books.

And as to your second question, yes, Asia usually refers to China, Korea, Vietnam, and a few other countries in Asia Major ( Japan is included if one refers to Asia as "the Orient). Many people seem to forget that Arabia, Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries ( otherwise referred to as Asia Minor) are also part of Asia. I just recently discovered my dad doesn't consider anyone from India all the way to Turkey an Asian! (It had something to do with all of them being descended from Aryans.)

Anyway, the name Glasgow sounds familiar, in what country is it located? For some reason, my mind is telling me Russia, but I think that is incorrect.

Confused

There's something mildly ironic about posting how American schools only teach about Roman, Greek, and British history, and then asking where Glasgow is. Smile Glasgow is in Scotland.

Actually, the second layer of irony is using an Internet forum to ask someone where a city is, when you could use that same Internet to Google it. ;p

Anyway, yes, Genghis Khan is a big part of East Asian history, but mostly because of his conquests, and not because of the geographic location of modern Mongolia. East Asia tends to refer to China, the Koreas, and Japan. Unfortunately, the US schooling system doesn't really teach its kids about Asian history, outside of a couple mentions of WWII-related tidbits.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
At first I thought the Genghis Khan movie was the same as the recent Mongol movie until I realized one was made in Japan while the other was Russian/Mongolian. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Unfortunately, the US schooling system doesn't really teach its kids about Asian history, outside of a couple mentions of WWII-related tidbits.

Korea and Vietnam aren't mentioned in pre-college U.S. history?
petran79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
drowz wrote:

The Mongols and European History are somehow interrelated. Remember, the Mongols through the Golden Horde ruled Russia, Ukraine, the Balkans, Asia Minor for many years and had a say in European affairs. Also in Western Europe Tamerlane's victory over the Turks at a time when they began to be getting dangerous, was celebrated in royal courts and also by the Pope.

But this topic is rather for professional historians.

Consider also that because in China the Mongols are not very much appreciated, Mongolian Studies are not that popular there.

But nowhere else could Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism etc co-exist for so many years
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
I like that Funi is releasing BDs, and really want to support anime in HD.

That said ... why mostly just these DBZ movies (with a live action or two thrown in for color?) Please, almost anything else. Maybe a series or three (Afro Samurai doesn't count.) Everytime they find their way into my cart, they always face expulsion before checkout. It's too hard to justify regular price on a mediocre pair of movies that's seen enough iterations to be on VHS.

the reason for that is because DBZ is Funimation's cash cow. but think of it this way if right now they are only showing DBZ on Blu-ray you could call it Funimation testing out Blu-ray to see if anyone will buy them. if people buy them then they release other anime properties and other anime companies go hey Funimation is releasing their popular titles on blu-ray and they are selling maybe we should give it a shot at it. by the looks of things people are actually buying those DBZ movies on Blu-ray and thats why now we are getting Samurai 7 on Blu-ray the complete series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3