• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Streams Dubbed Sgt. Frog "Test Episode"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Funi will handle this series....
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
If the reaction to the dub is anything, they'll probably exnay the name changes and keep with the Wooslyisms.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I wonder how Funi will handle this series....

That's probably why their asking for input. From what I've seen of the series there is quite a bit of humor that might not translate over very well, such as puns. I'd guess that they want to know how close to the original people would like this to be. It's a smart idea to test the waters first since comedy relies so heavily on who is watching. Some companies have opted for rewriting for the new audience, like Funimation did with Shin-Chan (great work if you ask me), and others have opted for sticking closer and relying on explanations, like ADV did with Excel Saga. If viewers weigh in then Funimation can save itself a lot of work and have greater sales because they can choose the option that the viewers want.
AVPen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've seen any fansub of Sgt. Frog, but seeing that test episode totally made my day - I'm just really glad that FUNimation is serious about getting the series out to US audiences. Very Happy
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched it and I liked it. But I hope they dont turn it into shin-chan. Like with the dark humor and what not. If they can keep the original story of Sgt. Frog and only change some references. I will prolly watch it.

So for anyone who has watched Sgt. Frog before, how does this dub episode measure up to the original in terms of the plot.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Apart from Keroro's voice, I think it's pretty good.

Keroro's voice should be more "cartoony", more of a roller coaster of mood and emotion than the reading we've got here. It needs to be a Spongebob level of performance. This version was very flat.

Oh, and they got the gender on the cat wrong. Not important in this episode, but it is in future stories.
se37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This is one reason why it is a test. I'm glad Funimation is doing something with Sgt. Frog since ADV sat on the rights to it for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, funimation will do blocks like they do with One Piece.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
"Don't forget how I pwned" ? really?
-Tofu
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
If this were to be in a block what channel would it be on.Cartoon network for sure would not put it on there channel,so i guess anime network will get it.

And hopefully they wont block out so much stuff as like what wilson said about one piece. Smile
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Just wow!

This was funnier than "Shin-chan"! Props to Funimation for doing a great job with the dub. I seriously can't wait for this to finally come out.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
I watched it and I liked it. But I hope they don't turn it into shin-chan. Like with the dark humor and what not. If they can keep the original story of Sgt. Frog and only change some references. I will prolly watch it.

So for anyone who has watched Sgt. Frog before, how does this dub episode measure up to the original in terms of the plot.

the plot of the episode is the same (Giroro looses his belt. sucks at shooting. and we find out the secret behind it)

but it feels like they were making the humor more American styled (which I'm just fine with. The point of the show is to make people laugh after all) so in that sense they are writing it like they did with Shin-chan.

It also felt like they were playing up on the "we're aliens" and "i'm a frog!" bit by making Giroro's conversation with the cat kinda awkward sounding like "I dont know your frisky alien rituals!" and "that's frogwash!" and such. which....gets old pretty fast (I get it! they're frogs D:<)

and like someone else said...the cat's a girl. but they probably just haven't gotten that far in the series to know that. so I understand.

it's a little too early to tell though. that episode only really focuses on Giroro (which...aside from some minor things, was ok)

and I dont like the name "Planet Wuss..."
even though when you look at the meaning behind "Pekopon/Pokopen" (<the original name) ...I guess it kinda fits

Last edited by kawaiibunny3 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Master Kashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon network doesn't want it on their channel, ever since they got new management, they have been dropping anime, hence no more toonami and the 5am code geass shift.

Yeah, I didn't like the pwnage line either, don't try to draw in the hip crowd, cause is you make everything about references, it will never last any time, like go try to watch the Dana Carvey show, it's all jokes about bob dole.

Now I read the Manga and thought it came over very well, but I would say this show is on the lines with Gurren Lagann, and they should aim it at that audience, not try to kid it up.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Did they edit it?

Lots of nudity and sexual content in Sgt Frog...
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
and I don't like the name "Planet Wuss..."
even though when you look at the meaning behind "Pekopon/Pokopen" (<the original name) ...I guess it kinda fits

Yeah, I agree with you. Planet Wuss is a poor translation IMO. The vibe it's supposed to give is "these Earthlings (pekoponians) aren't anywhere near our level of strength/sophistication/etc" with a tinge of condescension. Though 'wuss' conveys that, it's not something an invading army would nickname the place they're invading. I mean, hell, it was only called 'Pekopon' because 'Pokopen' is a word that has been banned from TV. It's my understanding the Japanese manga uses the word 'Pokopen'. This is the word the Japanese used to call China when they were invading/occupying at the turn of the 20th century and in WWII. Extrapolate the usage with what Japan was doing in China at the time (there were actual positive headlines in major Japanese newspapers about a contest among Japanese soldiers as to who could be the first to behead 100 Chinese people), and you realize that "Planet Wuss" is really a cop-out of a translation.

I would just stick with Pekopon and Pekoponians if it was me doing the translation. It's a fun word to say in English as well as Japanese and it'll please the original fans of the show. Plus any explanation needed can be found with a quick google search.

Closer english translations than "Wuss" would be "barbarian" or "savage" but none of these work as well as "Pekopon/Pekoponian" IMO. A big part of the humor of this show is how serious the frogs take their mission juxtaposed against reality.

Standard disclaimer: I am a translator.

-Tofu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4