Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! License Is Still in Force, Court Rules


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jlaking



Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 214
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I long for the day when 4Kids goes out of business.


So you want people to lose their jobs because you don't like 4kids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1523
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Only concerned is that if 4Kids go under, there would be no morning cartoons for standard TV since they seem to be the only one doing that. Not everyone has cable or internet, so they'll miss out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2507
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's amusing how so many people complain that accessibility to anime has hurt the industry so much yet so many cheer for the death of a company who guarantee's every show it licenses ends up on TV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3411
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm more amazed that people are treating a show made for the sole purpose of selling trading cards to 8-year-olds as some sort of artistic masterpiece that should never ever ever be edited. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1714
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

yami:
Quote:
Well the U.S. has no scene of tradition or the ability to honor people's wishes unless they were written down.


WTF are you talking about? We do use verbal contracts in court. I am not a lawyer.


Except verbal contracts are not enforceable in a court of law (I remember this from my business law class)

Also, I find it interesting that if you go to www.tokyopop.com it redirects to the facebook page (I guess because FUNimation owns Tokyopop now)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It's amusing how so many people complain that accessibility to anime has hurt the industry so much yet so many cheer for the death of a company who guarantee's every show it licenses ends up on TV.


It's amusing you support a company who's former CEO claimed that Manga isn't a viable form of media, claimed that "whitewashing" is the only way to bring Japanese titles over, and has handled the otaku's with the tact of throwing a live hand grenade into a group of terrorists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8173
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
and has handled the otaku's with the tact of throwing a live hand grenade into a group of terrorists.
You didn't really want to type that, did you? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timur72299



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting,i personally hope if 4kids shuts down,the voice actors will find new jobs. I wonder what will hapen to 4Sight Licensing Solutions,if 4kids entertaiment shuts down,will they continue to operate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
So you want people to lose their jobs because you don't like 4kids.


Not this again... it's basic business. If a company makes a bad product, then they deserve to go under if they can not improve, and other companies have shown you can put anime on TV without all the edits 4kids does. Simple as that. If Firestone kept putting out shoddy tires for 10+ years and never made any attempt at improving, I imagine people would want them to stop eventually.

Top Gun wrote:
I'm more amazed that people are treating a show made for the sole purpose of selling trading cards to 8-year-olds as some sort of artistic masterpiece that should never ever ever be edited. Razz


It's all fun and games until a show you enjoy gets that treatment. I mean, One Piece is just a '"silly goofy pirate show made for the sole purpose of milking a manga to 8 year olds"' yet people to this day still blame 4Kids about it even after it got a uncut Funi dub. Just because you don't like a show doesn't mean it deserves the 4Kids treatment. It's a great show with a lot of fans, and the TCG is the top selling TCG in the world. I think it's kind of clear people enjoy it.

Haterater wrote:
Only concerned is that if 4Kids go under, there would be no morning cartoons for standard TV since they seem to be the only one doing that. Not everyone has cable or internet, so they'll miss out.


Saturday Morning cartoons are a thing of the past. That was big before we had channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network dedicated to cartoons for the bulk of the day. People need to stop clinging to this nostalgia. I can say as an adult, I would hate waking up early to watch a show. Saturday mornings died out because they are now obsolete with all-day cartoon channels. If someone can't afford a basic cable package then I'll assume they have more pressing concerns than being able to watch Dora the Explorer and Spongebob.


Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2507
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Also, I find it interesting that if you go to www.tokyopop.com it redirects to the facebook page (I guess because FUNimation owns Tokyopop now)


Funimation doesn't own TokyoPop.

Sunday Silence wrote:
Primus wrote:
It's amusing how so many people complain that accessibility to anime has hurt the industry so much yet so many cheer for the death of a company who guarantee's every show it licenses ends up on TV.


It's amusing you support a company who's former CEO claimed that Manga isn't a viable form of media, claimed that "whitewashing" is the only way to bring Japanese titles over, and has handled the otaku's with the tact of throwing a live hand grenade into a group of terrorists.


Keywords here: Former CEO

Kahn's gone, the company's dubs are a lot more accurate, and they even stream most of their properties uncut at Toonzaki.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryu Shoji



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 656
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Not being a legal expert, all I can say is that the judge referencing the show was pretty awesome. I just hope that when he deemed the audit findings merit less, when deeming the final one he said "And now you've run out of life points" or something to that effect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
barrelroller



Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 104
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Kahn's gone, the company's dubs are a lot more accurate, and they even stream most of their properties uncut at Toonzaki.com


What anime's are uncut that you know of? I wasn't aware that the dubs somehow got better...

All in all I'm waiting for the inevitable Yu-Gi-Oh! revival... more than likely by Funimation. I would prefer just giant box sets of Season 0 then get Season 1 at least subbed and uncut. All of the other series I'm not really concerned with...

Although, Yu-Gi-Oh on motorcycles sounded strangely badass. xP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3411
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'm more amazed that people are treating a show made for the sole purpose of selling trading cards to 8-year-olds as some sort of artistic masterpiece that should never ever ever be edited. Razz


It's all fun and games until a show you enjoy gets that treatment. I mean, One Piece is just a '"silly goofy pirate show made for the sole purpose of milking a manga to 8 year olds"' yet people to this day still blame 4Kids about it even after it got a uncut Funi dub. Just because you don't like a show doesn't mean it deserves the 4Kids treatment. It's a great show with a lot of fans, and the TCG is the top selling TCG in the world. I think it's kind of clear people enjoy it.

Except that One Piece is an immensely-successful franchise across age demographics, and the anime series was made as a straight adaptation of the manga, not for the sole purpose of selling more manga copies. The only reason Yu-Gi-Oh exists in any medium outside of the cards is for the sake of hawking more of said cards. Obviously the TCG is very popular, and probably with plenty of adults too, but let's not sit here and pretend that the show is anything more than it is, any more than Pokemon was anything more than a 30-minute commercial for the games/cards. (Hell, the US did the exact same thing with the likes of Transformers.) There's no great storytelling here, no well-written characters...just pure kiddie-entertaining commercialism. This is the exact sort of series that 4Kids should be handling; the reason everyone got so upset over One Piece was because it wasn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Except that One Piece is an immensely-successful franchise across age demographics


So is Yu-Gi-Oh.

Moreso, in fact.

Quote:
and the anime series was made as a straight adaptation of the manga,


So is Yu-Gi-Oh.

Quote:
The only reason Yu-Gi-Oh exists in any medium outside of the cards is for the sake of hawking more of said cards


You realize it was based on a manga and the manga came first, right? Naruto has a card game with 23+ expansions and still going strong.. is that any different?

Quote:
There's no great storytelling here, no well-written characters...just pure kiddie-entertaining commercialism.


I'm not sure I get your point. Yugi, Judai, and the like all have much more developed and fleshed out characters than Luffy does. Let's not kid ourselves here and make Luffy out to be a well developed complex individual. I mean, the whole point of Duel Monsters was Yugi becoming his own person and growing confident enough to live his own life. I'd also give it more points just because it ended so all it's character and story arcs actually have closure. Closure for 3 complete series, no less. The reason Yuma get's some flak by the fandom is because he kind of is your standard shounen idiot protagonist like Luffy is (though not as dumb, and Yuma has been growing slowly over the series so far, and who knows where he'll end up, he's already changing)

Quote:
This is the exact sort of series that 4Kids should be handling; the reason everyone got so upset over One Piece was because it wasn't.


The fact you got so defensive is exactly the point I was trying to make. Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece are no different. There's no legitimate reason you can list that disproves them being any different. They're both manga, they're both anime, and so forth. It's just you like One Piece so obviously that's "completely different and not the same thing at all".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad_Scientist
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2972
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
, but let's not sit here and pretend that the show is anything more than it is, any more than Pokemon was anything more than a 30-minute commercial for the games/cards. (Hell, the US did the exact same thing with the likes of Transformers.) There's no great storytelling here, no well-written characters...just pure kiddie-entertaining commercialism. This is the exact sort of series that 4Kids should be handling; the reason everyone got so upset over One Piece was because it wasn't.


Out of curiosity, have you you actually seen the show and based your judgments on that? Or are you making assumptions on the show's quality based on the franchise's origin?

I haven't seen the show so I can't really comment on it specifically, but I do know that just because the show was made to help sell cards doesn't automatically mean it's crap, or that there can't be enjoyable or well developed characters in it. Some of the Digimon anime series have been surprisingly good despite being originally created just to sell toys and games. So who's to say that Yu-Gi-Oh! can't also generate some well done anime series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group