• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Entire Black Jack Manga Chapter Posted Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bossyman15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
AH that's where that girl came from.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The origin of Pinoko! Such an adorable 18 year old.

Black Jack is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Vol. 1 just came in the mail today.

I am really looking forward to this one.
brittiney360

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd been looking for Pinoko's origins for so long, I'm so glad I finally got to read this. Haha, and I thought at first that the whole "I'm 18!" thing was a lie Very Happy .
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
I understood the basics of the idea but wow, that gives all those jokes in the TV series where she states she's 18 a rather nasty edge.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
Pinoko is awesome! Now when is the Two Doctors of Darkness going to be licensed?
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I knew he 'made' her out of a tumor but I didn't realize half her body parts were made of plastic... ewwww...

If that was even possible to begin with, her life would be full of constantly continuing surgeries and upgrades (when her organs and limbs grow while the body shell doesn't) and she probably wouldn't have lasted a year much less 6+ (she's about 6 in the anime if I remember correctly).
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I knew he 'made' her out of a tumor but I didn't realize half her body parts were made of plastic... ewwww...

If that was even possible to begin with, her life would be full of constantly continuing surgeries and upgrades (when her organs and limbs grow while the body shell doesn't) and she probably wouldn't have lasted a year much less 6+ (she's about 6 in the anime if I remember correctly).

Biologically she's 18, sospoiler[ in reality she's as big as she'll ever be naturally]. In the manga she often wants Black Jack to make an adult body for her so she can be a "proper" wife to him. It's also the subject of numerous doujinshi, where the Doc goes through with the procedure and Pinoco goes on to start medical school. There are instances where she is injured and BJ has to basically disassemble her to operate.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I wish that Viz had finished the translation, or that they had brought someone competent like Frederik L. Schodt aboard. This is awful...
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:

Biologically she's 18, sospoiler[ in reality she's as big as she'll ever be naturally].

I know she's 18, but I could have sworn one of the episodes involved her 6th birthday party, as in the length of time she's 'existed' as a person and not a sentient growth.

OTOH, her brain, heart, and other organs would more than likely continue growing, and the body parts would need to be changed because they'd be crushed by the pressure if you don't...children out-growing implants and other medical fixtures is a pretty common issue in medicine. But then again, this is a manga where just about any disease or injury can be treated with invasive surgery, so I guess arguing about medical realism is a moot point. I'm pretty sure that custom-fabricating realistic prosthetics out of composites isn't exactly Black Jack's speciality...

In GITS, they at least mention that children in prosthetic bodies have to change size many times until they're adults.

Quote:

In the manga she often wants Black Jack to make an adult body for her so she can be a "proper" wife to him. It's also the subject of numerous doujinshi,

Ewwwwwww

Quote:

where the Doc goes through with the procedure and Pinoco goes on to start medical school. There are instances where she is injured and BJ has to basically disassemble her to operate.

Oh, THAT kind of doujin.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Quote:

where the Doc goes through with the procedure and Pinoco goes on to start medical school. There are instances where she is injured and BJ has to basically disassemble her to operate.

Oh, THAT kind of doujin.
What, you meen teh awesome kind that explores whatifs and such? yeah, the world needs more Doujin of that sort translated. because that kinda stuff is cool.
Tigergal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
It was actually interesting in story wise but it was also gross and that poor girl at the end I felt so sorry for her (Her sister was just evil!)

lol if it wasn't for The Beat I would continue thinking Black Jack was boring even though I never had a taste of it , now Im having second thoughts about not giving the anime and manga a chance.

Hey, guys I was just wondering does The Beat post manga tidbits each month?
Agoston

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Quote:

In the manga she often wants Black Jack to make an adult body for her so she can be a "proper" wife to him. It's also the subject of numerous doujinshi,

Ewwwwwww

Quote:

Oh, THAT kind of doujin.

Hahahaha, that's exactly what I said too Anime hyper

Not a bad chapter, I might pick up Black Jack 1 sometime but once again the damn Canadian price made it so much more than the other manga..
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this Black Jack supposed to be available in English by now? I REALLY want it, but I haven't seen it any stores. Crying or Very sad
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Isn't this Black Jack supposed to be available in English by now?

The first volume came out a month or two back and the second volume's due out later this month.

The first three volumes are being released in two versions - a limited edition hardback with additional material (which is only supposed to be available through highstreet comic shops) and a standard paperback edition. From Vol. 4 onwards they'll all be paperback only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1