• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Title translations, or lack thereof (rant).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ardlien wrote:
The title is likely the only thing apart from characters' names that I'll say out loud or even pronounce mentally, and to have the quasi-gibberish soundtrack interrupted by something that I can sound out and understand, leaves me somewhat jarred. I guess my perfect title would be english in text but japanese in sound? This sounds crazy even to me, again perhaps I'm alone in this regard.
So you're saying that English titles disrupt an otherwise "Japanese" experience. But what about the many, many series titles that are already in English (or some katakana-based non-Japanese title) to begin with? Please don't tell me you go around talking about "Bandoreddo," "Hando Meido Mei," "Shaffuru!", "Jinki: Ekusutendo," "Kurono Kuruseido," "Toraigan," and "Furu Metaru Panikku: Za Sekondo Reido." If already-non-Japanese titles aren't a problem, then why are translated titles so jarring?

@ Key from a few posts back: I thought John O. had "gotten better" when it came to gratuitous Japanese titles when I skimmed some recent posts while creating this thread. But I won't hesitate to believe I'm wrong. And you'd think that as someone working with a website dedicated to selling localized anime, he would want people to be familiar with the titles more likely to appear on DVDs than downloaded versions. At least he set one person straight who tried to "back-translate" a title that was partially in English to begin with.
Ohoni wrote:
Personally, I'm one of those that hates seeing Zero no Tsukaima as "Familiar of Zero".
Somehow, I knew you would be upon seeing that you had the most recent post in the thread.
Quote:
"Mushshi" is much cleaner than "Mushi Master". It just sounds much weaker as a title.
Well, Funimation felt the same way, so you're in the clear on that one. I didn't have any problems with Funimation's choice to leave that one as-is, since both "Mushi" and "Mushi-shi" are series-specific concepts that get defined over the course of the show. As opposed to something like "Familiar" which is already a known concept in English. To some, anyway.
Quote:
"Seirei no Moribito" is much better than "Guardian of the Spirit". I prefer "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" over "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", although I refer to both as simply "Haruhi" in passing. I prefer "Naruto Shippuden" to "Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles". I also do like the sound of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, but I do tend to call it "FMA" anyways.
But why are any of these inherently better, other than "it sounds cooler to me" and the foreign/exotic appeal? The only one that sounds any cooler to me is Naruto: Shippuuden, which I could support leaving in Japanese since afaik there are no actual hurricanes chronicled. While the Japanese titles may work better for the hardcore anime fans, they don't work when it comes to being marketable and expanding the audience base. Would Adult Swim ever have put "Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch" on their schedules?
Quote:
I think a lot of the problem lies in the English name, properly translated, often comes across as a very weak title for a show. They just lack any punch in English. Maybe they lacked punch in Japanese to Japanese speakers as well, but I don't need to know that sort of thing.
That's all subjective, though. For me, Tsukihime, Lunar Legend has a lot more punch than "Shingetsutan Tsukihime." Steel Angel Kurumi > "Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi." Sakura Diaries > "Sakura Tsuushin." Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok > "Matantei Loki Ragnarok," despite the longer title. Some direct translations don't work out so well, which is why some R1 releases get titles that aren't 100% literal, but still function as reasonable titles. Diamond Daydreams sounds a lot better than "On to the North ~Diamond Dust Drops~" to me. Shingu: Secret of Stellar Wars > "Academy War Chronicle Muryou." Shrine of the Morning Mist > "Shinto Priestess of the Morning Mist." For "Kimi ga nozomu eien," I would've preferred "The Eternity you Wish For," but hey, Rumbling Hearts was the Japanese company's decision, not Funimation's.
Quote:
Also, if you take the stance that all titles should be translated, then ALL titles should be translated. Zero no Tsukaima should instead become "Familiar of Rei". Bleach should become "Hyohakuzai". "Fairy Tail" would become "Yousei Shippo".
That's fallacious extension and you know it. The idea I've been pushing this whole time is, "Titles should be translated to English whenever it increases accessibility to a wider audience by informing them of the show's contents." Nowhere did I ever advocate the kind of meaningless "toggle-switch translation" that you're describing. See my reply to ardlien, above.
Quote:
I really think that US anime companies would be much better served leaving the titles of shows alone, but employing the book industry practice of using huge font to emphasize key words, so for example the cover to "Zero no Tsukaima", the "Zero" could be huge, with the "no Tsukaima" beneath it in a much smaller font, so that the longer word takes up the same horizontal space.
But does the book industry do that with foreign titles as well? I've never seen translated versions of "Cien años de SOLEDAD" on shelves in English-speaking areas, but I have seen One Hundred Years of Solitude. It works when all the words are in English to begin with, but emphasizing the "Zero" in "Zero no Tsukaima" doesn't convey any additional information to a viewer who's not already familiar with the show through the light novels, the fansubs, or their Rie Kugimiya shrines. You can add all the emphasis in the world, but people don't understand what they don't understand. And what about titles like "Kyouran Kazoku Nikki"? Which word deserves more attention there?

The US companies have to think about these kinds of not-so-hardcore viewers for the sake of their sales, and wouldn't fansub groups be happier to get 50,000 downloads from people who understand an English title than only 5,000 downloads from people who understand the Japanese title? Sure, some will DL shows without understanding titles, but in theory these groups that aim for prestige and recognition would want more people seeing their work.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
I will say that I agree with Zalis' comments. Anything that is a proper name should be left in it's Japanese form, while most other words should be translated. If there is already a "English" title given by the original creators there is no reason why it shouldn't be used.

The most annoying changes for me are:

Samurai Troopers/ Ronin Warriors. This seems completely arbitrary. Is the word samurai any more obscure than the word Ronin? Was there a legal reason for this change.

Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X. I wouldn't mind Kenshin:Wandering Samurai or something similar. Samurai X just sounds to much like a bad video game title.

Detective Conan/ Case Closed. Seems a little odd as well.

For the most part I think the R1 companies find a nice balance in what to translate. If anything they might lean a bit towards the untranslated side than they should for marketing purposes, but I of course don't mind.
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'd be willing to bet that the Kenshin/Samurai X deal is a US legal issue. Since the TV series was Media Blasters and the OVAs were ADV. One company probably demanded a way to differentiate the 2 products so that one wouldn't piggy back onto the others advertising.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And what about titles like "Kyouran Kazoku Nikki"? Which word deserves more attention there?

So what should we do? Call it "Frenzy Family Diary"? I'd rather watch a show with a title I don't understand a word of than "Frenzy Family Diary" or any equivalent (no translation of that sounds even remotely good).

Quote:
and wouldn't fansub groups be happier to get 50,000 downloads from people who understand an English title than only 5,000 downloads from people who understand the Japanese title?

What? Are you saying that 10 times as many people will download any given file from a fansubber if they translate the title into English? Granted, a few more people would probably download the show as a result of say "Zero no Tsukaima" to "The Familiar of Zero", but definitely not enough of an increase to have an incentive to change up the title, especially to have a whole community to be willing to predetermine these things so that they're consistent with each other.

I'm not against your idea here of a community banding to decide English translations for titles beforehand and in an ideal scenario it would work well, but fansubbers are hardly ones to work together all the time, hence I don't see something like this as very likely.

Quote:
But why are any of these inherently better, other than "it sounds cooler to me" and the foreign/exotic appeal?

They aren't. But when the English translation sounds stupid or awkward, I'd rather see it in Japanese. Granted, a lot of shows currently left untranslated wouldn't sound stupid in English and more of those should be translated, but the ones that would should really really really really be left alone.

Like, I would be appalled if Kyoran Kazoku Nikki were ever renamed to "Frenzy Family Diary".

"Library War" sounds kind of cool. "A Promise Under this Blue Sky" doesn't quite.

But this is a matter of personal preference. A title you insist should be translated into English I might think would sound ridiculous if translated. Vice Versa. How do we decide what to translate and what not to if we don't have clear precedents on what should and shouldn't be translated?

Ardlien wrote:
I guess my perfect title would be english in text but japanese in sound? This sounds crazy even to me, again perhaps I'm alone in this regard.

Yeah, that'd be really weird and even the proponents of keeping Japanese titles intact would be against doing that.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
To me, it really doesn't matter either way. I mean some title just sound better with the original Japanese Title than an English translated title. Though already said shows like Ai Yori Aoshi, Azumanga Daioh and Rurouni Kenshin sound better in their original titles then an English translated title. They wouldn't be as appealing sounding though overall.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X. I wouldn't mind Kenshin:Wandering Samurai or something similar. Samurai X just sounds to much like a bad video game title.

Kenshin: Wandering Samurai would be a decent title, it could even be called Ruouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai and it would still sound great. I don't think Samurai X is a bad title, but it may be a bit misleading.

I have to agree with Duel LadyS with that HHC sounds like a cheesy B grade High School health sex education video, but I like the title along with the short Japanese title Kare Kano which could have been used and it would have worked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
For me, an English translation of the title is generally OK, unless it loses so much in the translation that it doesn't make sense any more. For example, "When the Cicadas Cry" would have been a fine title for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. On the other hand, Uta∽Kata, had it ever been licensed, should probably not have been called "Poem/Fragment" because that's not something that chimes with our culture.

Longer titles often cause problems, as has already been pointed out with Kiminozo - "Rumbling Hearts" is so infelicitous as to be just stupid. "The Eternity you Wish For" is better, but what exactly was wrong with just "Kiminozo"? It's what a lot of people in Japan called it. Similarly, what about Saishuu Heiki Kanojo? "My Girlfriend is the Ultimate Weapon"? "Final Weapon Girlfriend"? I'm really glad Viz opted to go with the Japanese abbreviation, "Saikano", which again is what it was commonly called in Japan. I give up on Utawarerumono though.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Detective Conan/ Case Closed. Seems a little odd as well.

That change was apparently due to some legal issue with the "Conan the Barbarian" franchise not wanting another property with Conan in the title....'cause, I guess, they thought people were so stupid that they would automatically connect the two together and assume Conan had given up his barbarian ways, got an education, and became a detective Rolling Eyes

As for the main topic, of course Japanese titles should be translated when possible. "It sounds cooler in Japanese" or "the translation is weak" are no reasons to leave a title as incomprehensible to the average fan with a limited knowledge of Japanese. The original Japanese viewers understood the title, so why shouldn't international versions have a title that makes sense? That's the point of translation, to recreate the experience that original viewers had, but in a different language. Sure, as mentioned in previous posts, sometimes there are puns that don't translate well, or nonsense titles that make little sense in any language, but the vast majority of titles can easily be translated, and therefore should be. It's just that there's been a proliferation of fansubbers leaving titles, honorifics, select phrases, and anything else they feel like in Japanese, so now it's the "cool thing" to do.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If already-non-Japanese titles aren't a problem, then why are translated titles so jarring?

Even "Engrish" titles have their own charm to them. Usually they're names that you just wouldn't get in an "English as a first language" production. I don't see "Bubblegum Crisis" coming out of an American studio, except perhaps out of irony.

Quote:
I didn't have any problems with Funimation's choice to leave that one as-is, since both "Mushi" and "Mushi-shi" are series-specific concepts that get defined over the course of the show.

It's not really a different thing though. Ginko's a Mushi-shi, Ed Elrich is a Renkenjutstu-shi, and yet that series title was changed. And the alchemy in FMA really wasn't terribly similar to western alchemy anyways (since FMA alchemy didn't actually transmute elements, merely reformed them).

Quote:
But why are any of these inherently better, other than "it sounds cooler to me" and the foreign/exotic appeal?

In the title of a show, is "sounds cooler" really not a useful way to differentiate between the options? Sounding cool is half of what a title does.

Quote:
Would Adult Swim ever have put "Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch" on their schedules?

They'd probably just go with "Code Geass". Do they keep the "Lelouch of the Rebellion" part in as it is?

Quote:
It works when all the words are in English to begin with, but emphasizing the "Zero" in "Zero no Tsukaima" doesn't convey any additional information to a viewer who's not already familiar with the show through the light novels, the fansubs, or their Rie Kugimiya shrines.

Neither does "Familiar of Zero". Who's Zero? Who's familiar with he/she/it? I wouldn't know by that title. Actually, "Zero's Familiar" would have been a tad more descriptive, but still it offers very little information about the series.

Most of the titles mentioned in this thread fall into that category, where they MIGHT make sense to someone who's already experienced the series, but would give no useful information to people who don't know the series yet. I mean, as a new anime viewer, making my descision, for some godaweful reason, entirely on the title of the series, does "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya REALLY convey that much more useful information than "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu"?

Quote:
And what about titles like "Kyouran Kazoku Nikki"? Which word deserves more attention there?

That one you just leave alone. You can, of course, also subtitle the title, underneath it so that people can see what it actually means in English, just like dialog is subtitled, but the official title, the big one, should be left alone.

Quote:

"Library War" sounds kind of cool.

This is another one where I prefer "Toshokan Senso". Also Sakura Taisen over Sakura Wars, for that matter. And Tenchi Muyo over No Need for Tenchi.

Oh, and one other thing that I didn't mention in my first post, consistancy. It's sometimes hard to tell that the English and Japanese versioons of a show are even connected when they have completely different names. Shows should have one name.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ohoni, I think you missed the point of pretty much that entire post. Also, you continue to present yourself as a culture snob.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's not really a different thing though. Ginko's a Mushi-shi, Ed Elrich is a Renkenjutstu-shi, and yet that series title was changed. And the alchemy in FMA really wasn't terribly similar to western alchemy anyways (since FMA alchemy didn't actually transmute elements, merely reformed them).

So what? Fullmetal Alchemist is still a catchy and highly-marketable name that also ably describes the series. I absolutely guarantee that series would not have been even as remotely popular or successful in the U.S. had the name not been translated. (And if you're going to get picky on the "FMA's alchemy doesn't much resemble actual Western alchemy" business, then I must bring up Claymore, a series whose title is the same in English or Japanese despite the fact that the swords used in the series bear only a very vague resemblance to actual Scottish claymores. That hasn't stopped that series from being a hit, so why should it matter here?)

Quote:
They'd probably just go with "Code Geass". Do they keep the "Lelouch of the Rebellion" part in as it is?

Yes, as a subtitle.

Quote:
Most of the titles mentioned in this thread fall into that category, where they MIGHT make sense to someone who's already experienced the series, but would give no useful information to people who don't know the series yet. I mean, as a new anime viewer, making my decision, for some godaweful reason, entirely on the title of the series, does "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya REALLY convey that much more useful information than "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu"?

Absolutely. With rare exceptions, newcomers are less likely to try a series on a lark whose title isn't in English than one that is. Besides, I find "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" to be plenty descriptive, as it gives the instant impression that the main character is a very moody girl (which she is).

Quote:
One, Suzumiya Haruhi sounds better and is more accurate than Haruhi Suzumiya, and rings better at the begining of the title than at the end.

We'll never agree on this point. For an English translation, "Haruhi Suzumiya" is more accurate because that's how English naming conventions work. (Frankly, I've always found giving names in Japanese order while speaking in English to sound very weird.)

Quote:
Two, "The Melancholy of" anyone is just a soft title, and at best sounds like an emo arthouse film destined for anemic box office and perhaps an Oscar nod of they're lucky, not a hillariously strange comedy series. It just sounds better in Japanese, an the lack of English meaning in the title is actually an improvement over it having meaning in the English title.

I've mostly addressed this point above, so I'll just add that I didn't get an arthouse vibe off of this one at all when I first heard the name. Instead it intrigued me that a series would be named after the main character's emotional state - and, as it turns out in the series, not without good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought this was so much of an issue. I usually go with whatever I heard a show called first. Still though with any title you really gotta research it first. Going on title alone is never going to tell you enough to make a reasonable decision on whether to check out a particular anime series or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
(this was posted while I was typing my previous post)
Ohoni wrote:
One, Suzumiya Haruhi sounds better and is more accurate than Haruhi Suzumiya, and rings better at the begining of the title than at the end. Two, "The Melancholy of" anyone is just a soft title, and at best sounds like an emo arthouse film destined for anemic box office and perhaps an Oscar nod of they're lucky, not a hilariously strange comedy series. It just sounds better in Japanese, and the lack of English meaning in the title is actually an improvement over it having meaning in the English title.
"Sounds better" / "just sounds better" / "rings better" = subjective, unquantifiable comparisons. I disagree than "Suzumiya Haruhi" is more accurate than "Haruhi Suzumiya." It's a translation to English for English-speaking audiences; why shouldn't the name reflect the way people process names in English? I don't see any other translations like newspapers, movies, or books using Japanese name order in English, so why should anime be any different? And there's no need to match the Japanese word order, either. Plenty of elements have to be reversed or re-arranged when translating Japanese to English, so why should names enjoy some kind of special status? When it comes to titles like "Elf wo karu monotachi," "Those Who Hunt Elves" is far less awkward and more "fantasy" in nature than "Elf Hunter People."

For whatever cheese factor "Melancholy" brings to the table, "yuuutsu" is difficult for English speakers to say, remember, or even type (even proponents of Japanese titling generally leave out at least one "u"). Looking at the comments on a.f.k.'s sub job at places like AniDB and MAL, I saw a few complaints about their use of Western name order. But not one user complained that the title was translated. So I'm forced to conclude that your appraisal of "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" is not widely shared. Also, I'd like to think that anime fans have a concept of anime not playing by Hollywood rules when it comes to titles. Even casual fans who pick up the box off the shelves might look at it and think, "Gee, it says 'Melancholy' on here but there's all these pictures of smiling girls in bunny outfits. This must be one crazy show!" Whereas "Yuuutsu" doesn't invoke any reaction but confusion.
frentymon wrote:
So what should we do? Call it "Frenzy Family Diary"? I'd rather watch a show with a title I don't understand a word of than "Frenzy Family Diary" or any equivalent (no translation of that sounds even remotely good).
I was mainly referring to Ohoni's suggestion about the book titling method; using Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, or Kyouran Kazoku Nikki would be equally meaningless. I have enough faith in translators' ability and the richness of the English language to believe that a good translation is feasible.
Quote:
Zalis116 wrote:
and wouldn't fansub groups be happier to get 50,000 downloads from people who understand an English title than only 5,000 downloads from people who understand the Japanese title?
What? Are you saying that 10 times as many people will download any given file from a fansubber if they translate the title into English?
You've got me there. No, I can't predict the behavior of downloaders for any given series. But I'd like to think that they'd get more numbers out of people saying, "Hey, that sounds cool, I think I'll DL it!" vs. "Hey, that sounds foreign and incomprehensible, I think I'll spend 10 minutes figuring out what it means and looking for spoiler-free plot summaries that don't suck and then DL it." I just don't see what they have to lose in using English titles, aside from hollow notions of purity/coolness/elitism. Even if there weren't community agreements to standardize English titles, some titles like my earlier example of "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" offer virtually no ambiguity in possible translations. If 4 different groups released "Haruka Nogizaka's Secret," "The Secret of Nogizaka Haruka," "Nogizaka Haruka's Secret," and "The Secret of Haruka Nogizaka," there would still be no doubt that they were the same show.
Quote:
Like, I would be appalled if Kyoran Kazoku Nikki were ever renamed to "Frenzy Family Diary".
But that's not renaming, it's just a straightforward translation. 4kids calling an onigiri a dougnut is renaming. So are titles like Amaenaideyo!! -> Ah! My Buddha (a renaming I fully support, as the original Japanese titles and direct translations are unindicative of content and unmarketable) and Chance Triangle Session -> Chance Pop Session. Do you honestly think any R1 company is going to release DVDs titled "Kyouran Kazoku Nikki"? There will be some combination of translation and renaming, possibly something like: "Kyouran: Family Frenzy Saga." Yes, it's a little redundant and "fast-and-loose," but it retains some of that foreign coolness and communicates the original meaning.
Quote:
But this is a matter of personal preference. A title you insist should be translated into English I might think would sound ridiculous if translated. Vice Versa. How do we decide what to translate and what not to if we don't have clear precedents on what should and shouldn't be translated?
I'm guilty of some "sounds better" reasoning as well, but I think the real issue here is that you don't mind a little incomprehensibility if it means avoiding silliness/lameness, and I don't mind a little silliness if it means being comprehensible to the average viewer. I'll admit that there are titles like AkaSaka that would be extremely difficult to non-lamely translate to English without wholesale renaming. But as you admit, things are skewed a little far towards the "don't translate" end of the spectrum, which is why I started this thread out of months/years of annoyance.
angel_lover wrote:
Longer titles often cause problems, as has already been pointed out with Kiminozo - "Rumbling Hearts" is so infelicitous as to be just stupid. "The Eternity you Wish For" is better, but what exactly was wrong with just "Kiminozo"? It's what a lot of people in Japan called it.
But we're not in Japan, nor are we Japanese. For all its flaws, "Rumbling Hearts" at least indicates the show's genre, whereas "Kiminozo" is meaningless if you're not already familiar with the show. It bears repeating that "Rumbling Hearts" wasn't Funimation's decision, although they did include the "Kiminozo" subtitle on the DVDs.
Quote:
Similarly, what about Saishuu Heiki Kanojo? "My Girlfriend is the Ultimate Weapon"? "Final Weapon Girlfriend"? I'm really glad Viz opted to go with the Japanese abbreviation, "Saikano", which again is what it was commonly called in Japan.
"Saikano" worked I guess, but on paper it's not any more meaningful than "Kiminozo." I do recall one review, though I know not where, lamenting that Viz never provided any translation of "Saikano," leaving it as some mystical mystery word when it originally represented a concrete meaning. Of course, that's minor compared to Viz's many failures with that show. If could render it differently, I would've introduced a colon into the mix for "(The) Final Weapon: Girlfriend". A bit longer to be sure, but it makes viewers sit up and take notice. As in, "Wait a minute, a girl that's a weapon?", which was the point of the original title anyway. Those abbreviated titles work in Japan because Japanese fans are aware of the shows and know what they stand for. Importing them unquestioningly over here would be like exporting a product called "ST: TNG" to non-English-speaking markets and expecting the title to work because "that's how American fans refer to it."
LuckySeven wrote:
Still though with any title you really gotta research it first. Going on title alone is never going to tell you enough to make a reasonable decision on whether to check out a particular anime series or not.
But the initial interest has to start somewhere, right? If someone's going to do further investigation, don't you'd think that eye- or ear-catching titles would be first on the list?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With rare exceptions, newcomers are less likely to try a series on a lark whose title isn't in English than one that is.

I don't see why. If neither title has any meaning to them, then why choose the English title over the Japanese?

Quote:
Besides, I find "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" to be plenty descriptive, as it gives the instant impression that the main character is a very moody girl (which she is).

Really?

Really?

You really find that title to be descriptive of the series? You'd actually pick up the DVD expecting what the title promises, a moody series about an emo little girl named Haruhi and her emo angst, and at the end of the first DVD yuo'd have felt that your choice was made wisely? The significant amount of comedy and ridiculousness present in the series wouldn't seem "out of left field" when compared to the title to you?

Quote:

We'll never agree on this point. For an English translation, "Haruhi Suzumiya" is more accurate because that's how English naming conventions work. (Frankly, I've always found giving names in Japanese order while speaking in English to sound very weird.)

Japanese names should never be reversed, it just gets confusing. Until you learn which words tend to be first names and which tend to be last, it's often very difficult to tell which name is meant to be the first name and which the last, since sometimes they're flipped, and sometimes they're left alone. Better to leave them all alone, then it's perfectly simple. American people's names are never flipped in Japanese dialog, why should Japanese people's names be flipped in English dialog? Are we just that stupid as a nation?

Quote:
When it comes to titles like "Elf wo karu monotachi," "Those Who Hunt Elves" is far less awkward and more "fantasy" in nature than "Elf Hunter People."

Although not nearly as catchy as "Elf Hunters".

Quote:
Even casual fans who pick up the box off the shelves might look at it and think, "Gee, it says 'Melancholy' on here but there's all these pictures of smiling girls in bunny outfits. This must be one crazy show!" Whereas "Yuuutsu" doesn't invoke any reaction but confusion.

I find this entire paragraph hilarious.

Quote:
But we're not in Japan, nor are we Japanese.

No, but the shows are, and there's no harm in remembering that fact.

Quote:
Importing them unquestioningly over here would be like exporting a product called "ST: TNG" to non-English-speaking markets and expecting the title to work because "that's how American fans refer to it."

And what would be wrong with that? I don't think it would be any worse a title than "Tsugi no Sedai : Hoshi no Tsurai Tabi", although that could certainly be the subtitle to the main title.

Quote:
But the initial interest has to start somewhere, right? If someone's going to do further investigation, don't you'd think that eye- or ear-catching titles would be first on the list?

Given the glut of "titled" products on the market, I can think of few, if any products in which the title has significantly attracted my attention. I'm more inclined to seek products out based on reviews, screenshots, video clips, blubs, etc. Titles, no matter how in English they are, rarely convey enough information to truly inform anyone, and often enough the information they do provide is misleading. Better for a title to be catchy and interesting than to be informative.
The Shrike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
My preference is title translation, for most of the reasons that have already been outlined. I must admit that I do find certain Japanese titles "cooler" than the translation, but at the same they're not much more than a grouping of random syllables to me and probably mean even less to the average shop browser. Mind you I'm so bad at remembering and pronouncing Japanese words if i didn't use translations I wouldn't be able to name half the shows I like.

I prefer it if a title can be reworked in translation to retain some of the (subjective) "cool factor" and the subtitle technique works well for this.
Quote:

"My Girlfriend is the Ultimate Weapon"? "Final Weapon Girlfriend"? I'm really glad Viz opted to go with the Japanese abbreviation, "Saikano", which again is what it was commonly called in Japan.

The Manga UK release went with: "She, the ultimate weapon," which I found quite workable.

I also prefer "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" as a title because I think it encapsulates the themes of the series well (also I have a weakness for bloated artsy titles).

At this point I do have to wonder if it's worth posting since I’m just reiterating points others have made but less eloquently...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
With rare exceptions, newcomers are less likely to try a series on a lark whose title isn't in English than one that is.

I don't see why. If neither title has any meaning to them, then why choose the English title over the Japanese?

Because the English is more comprehensible. Why do you keep ignoring that?

Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
Besides, I find "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" to be plenty descriptive, as it gives the instant impression that the main character is a very moody girl (which she is).

Really?

Really?

You really find that title to be descriptive of the series? You'd actually pick up the DVD expecting what the title promises, a moody series about an emo little girl named Haruhi and her emo angst, and at the end of the first DVD yuo'd have felt that your choice was made wisely? The significant amount of comedy and ridiculousness present in the series wouldn't seem "out of left field" when compared to the title to you?

The title says nothing about "emo". And, yes, the title is perfectly descriptive for the first half of the series. Haruhi's abundant energy is merely an attempt to stave off the melancholy in the early portion of the series, and in the latter it is because she has overcome it.

Ohoni wrote:
Japanese names should never be reversed, it just gets confusing. Until you learn which words tend to be first names and which tend to be last, it's often very difficult to tell which name is meant to be the first name and which the last, since sometimes they're flipped, and sometimes they're left alone. Better to leave them all alone, then it's perfectly simple. American people's names are never flipped in Japanese dialog, why should Japanese people's names be flipped in English dialog? Are we just that stupid as a nation?

Name order is confusing whether or not it's flipped, because as long as one knows that Japanese naming convention is the opposite of what most Western cultures use, the question of which order the names take is present. For people who are ignorant of this fact, there is no confusion until they are presented with the contradiction of "If those two people are siblings, why do they have the same first name and different last names?" Not everyone is as enlightened as you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6