• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Title translations, or lack thereof (rant).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk1199

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that because of this discussion I'm actually interested enough in Saikano to check this series out. I had no idea what it involved and it didn't sound very interesting, but now that I've seen (for lack of a better term) translated titles for the show it's piqued my interest.
As such I'd have to say that while translated titles aren't the end all be all it certainly makes life easier for me a non japanese speaking person.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm someone who's seen a decent amount of anime in Japanese, yet I still find myself instinctually preferring comprehensibly-translated titles, as opposed to random strings of Japanese terms I can't even pronounce. Case in point: I'm involved with an anime discussion group, and when it came time for us to once again pick the next series we'd be covering, I was turned off by the idea of doing Dennou Coil, mostly because I thought the title "sounded weird." (That title doesn't really have a translation to begin with, so the point is moot in retrospect.) I didn't know any more or less about it than I did some of our other options, such as Planetes or Last Exile, but I was instantly attracted to them more because I found their titles intriguing. Now as it turns out, I wound up enjoying the hell out of Dennou Coil, but it doesn't change the fact that my initial reaction to it was rather cool due to that title. If the purpose of a title is to inform viewers what a show is about or hook them in some other way, for my money, the absolute worst way to do so is by providing them with a group of words they can't understand.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The title says nothing about "emo".

Quote:
Main Entry:
1mel·an·choly Listen to the pronunciation of 1melancholy
Pronunciation:
\ˈme-lən-ˌkä-lē\

1 a: an abnormal state attributed to an excess of black bile and characterized by irascibility or depression b: black bile c: melancholia2 a: depression of spirits : dejection b: a pensive mood

What about that says "wacky comedy"?

Quote:
Name order is confusing whether or not it's flipped, because as long as one knows that Japanese naming convention is the opposite of what most Western cultures use, the question of which order the names take is present.

But so long as it's consistant, it's not a problem. It only gets confusing when you have Japanese names presented in Western order.

Quote:
I'm involved with an anime discussion group, and when it came time for us to once again pick the next series we'd be covering, I was turned off by the idea of doing Dennou Coil, mostly because I thought the title "sounded weird." (That title doesn't really have a translation to begin with, so the point is moot in retrospect.) I didn't know any more or less about it than I did some of our other options, such as Planetes or Last Exile, but I was instantly attracted to them more because I found their titles intriguing. Now as it turns out, I wound up enjoying the hell out of Dennou Coil, but it doesn't change the fact that my initial reaction to it was rather cool due to that title.

What is your point here, beyond that you're not a good source of advice about anime?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
With rare exceptions, newcomers are less likely to try a series on a lark whose title isn't in English than one that is.

I don't see why. If neither title has any meaning to them, then why choose the English title over the Japanese?

Honestly, are you just trying to ignore the obvious here? The English title does have at least some meaning to a Japanese-illiterate person because it's in a language they can understand, whereas the untranslated title doesn't. It's not like most anime titles that are translated into English are incomprehensible; sure, there have been several notable past examples that were (see Plastic Little and Kiddy Grade, amongst others), but they are hardly the rule.

Quote:
You really find that title to be descriptive of the series? You'd actually pick up the DVD expecting what the title promises, a moody series about an emo little girl named Haruhi and her emo angst, and at the end of the first DVD yuo'd have felt that your choice was made wisely? The significant amount of comedy and ridiculousness present in the series wouldn't seem "out of left field" when compared to the title to you?

Boy, you're reading waaaay too much into what I said, and with rare exceptions I don't try a series just on the basis of the title anyway. (Well, okay, there was Scrapped Princess, kinda sorta Voices of a Distant Star, and maybe Le Chevalier d'Eon - I do know a fair amount of French, after all.) Titles catch my attention, and if one intrigues me, I'll look into it more. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" caught my attention and intrigued me in ways that the Japanese title would have been unlikely to do, so I investigated it further, heard people raving about it, and checked it out myself. I was absolutely not expecting it to be about some "emo girl" (geez, why do you always assume the most extreme examples to make your point?), but I was certainly expecting a title character who was moody or unhappy about something and it affected everything about the show. Can you deny that the series, for all its humor and other merits, was essentially about exactly that? I certainly didn't feel misled at the time, and I still don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
Name order is confusing whether or not it's flipped, because as long as one knows that Japanese naming convention is the opposite of what most Western cultures use, the question of which order the names take is present.

But so long as it's consistant, it's not a problem. It only gets confusing when you have Japanese names presented in Western order.

Do you realize you just contradicted yourself in consecutive sentences? If the names are consistently presented in Western order, why would that be more confusing than presenting them consistently in Japanese order?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
What is your point here, beyond that you're not a good source of advice about anime?

Ooh...I'm so gonna need ice for that burn.

But since it obviously escaped you, my point was that a title consisting of gobbledygook is going to do absolutely nothing for most people in terms of getting them interested in a show, whereas a title they understand that intrigues them will be more likely to make them want to check it out. I'm a native English speaker, so I would expect that series being released (legally or not) for native English speakers would be adapted to be understood by them...and in my mind, the title should be part of that adaptation.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Honestly, are you just trying to ignore the obvious here? The English title does have at least some meaning to a Japanese-illiterate person because it's in a language they can understand, whereas the untranslated title doesn't.

Yes, but the meaning that it DOES have is misleading, as in, if they attempt to use that meaning to influence their descision, they will not be satisfied. "Yuuutsu" and "Melancholy" are equally informative words to use to describe the series, even if you don't know what "Yuuutsu" means.

Quote:
Can you deny that the series, for all its humor and other merits, was essentially about exactly that?

More or less. The series included a girl that was prone to disgruntlement, but it certainly had a lot more to it than that. It's about as descriptive as "Bleach" perhaps, in that that series contained a character with blonde hair.

Quote:
Do you realize you just contradicted yourself in consecutive sentences? If the names are consistently presented in Western order, why would that be more confusing than presenting them consistently in Japanese order?

Because they aren't consistantly presented in western order. Japanese people don't give Japanese names in western order. If they did then the name of the series would be "Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu". So the order of the named characters should remain consistant, as in, the same as their country of orgin. If the Japanese can avoid calling Edward Elrich "Elrich Edward" then we can offer them the same courtesy.

Quote:

But since it obviously escaped you, my point was that a title consisting of gobbledygook is going to do absolutely nothing for most people in terms of getting them interested in a show, whereas a title they understand that intrigues them will be more likely to make them want to check it out.

Gobbledygook titles have just as much ability to inspire interest as anything else. Certainly didn't hurt Inu Yasha, Yu Yu Hakushou, or Fushigi Yuugi.
sk1199

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
"Yuuutsu" and "Melancholy" are equally informative words to use to describe the series, even if you don't know what "Yuuutsu" means.

How can 2 terms be equally informative when you don't even understand one of the terms. That defies all logic since for them to have equal meaning you have to be able to comprehend them equally. I mean if I said qignuirgt and replaced it with the word blue how would you know that the first word is the same as the second?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gobbledygook titles have just as much ability to inspire interest as anything else. Certainly didn't hurt Inu Yasha, Yu Yu Hakushou, or Fushigi Yuugi.
Except "Inuyasha" as a title can slide by as a show named after the character. In the cases of YYH and FY, they were originally released with the prominent subtitles of "Ghost Files" and "The Mysterious Play" -- they weren't released as pure gobbledygook, as you're suggesting should've been done with "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu." As for "melancholy" connoting emo-angst, doesn't "Yuuutsu" do the same thing if you understand it? If you don't understand it, "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" may as well be "Suzumiya Haruhi (*&(UIO878ksjdfkF{". The non-hardcore fan won't know that the title is basically "somebody's something," and in the worst-case scenario, they might not even recognize "Suzumiya Haruhi" as a name. Sure, it could be said that such viewers wouldn't be looking at the show in the first place, but that's no reason to freeze them out, at the fansub or the retail level.

As for "The Japanese don't put Japanese names in Western order," see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM0YDFQbys
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
"Yuuutsu" and "Melancholy" are equally informative words to use to describe the series, even if you don't know what "Yuuutsu" means.

How can 2 terms be equally informative when you don't even understand one of the terms. That defies all logic since for them to have equal meaning you have to be able to comprehend them equally.

In Haruhi's case neither word is awfully informative when it comes down to the actual plot of the series, but I do think more people would watch "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" than "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu" because the former sounds much cooler and interesting.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Japanese people don't give Japanese names in western order.

That's not always true. When the Japanese spell their names using the Roman alphabet, they will reverse the name ordering to use the Western format.

For examples, check out the individual character pages from these official anime web sites' character summary page:

S.A.: http://special-a.jp/chara.html
Vampire Knight: http://www.vampire-knight.jp/character_snd.html
Junjou Romantica: http://www.suzukisan.info/chara.html
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Such a heated debate! Might as well throw a couple more cents into the change bucket here.

My official stance on titles: If there's a translation for it, use it. If it's something that has a Japanese only title (no English/Engrish whatsoever), why not use that as a subtitle/supertitle, whether a fansub or an official release (like Sakano: She, the Ultimate Weapon or Kodocha: Child's Toy)? Ideally, why not only use the Japanese titles when talking to, writing for, or researching sources provided by Japanese audiences?

Ohoni wrote:
This is another one where I prefer "Toshokan Senso". Also Sakura Taisen over Sakura Wars, for that matter. And Tenchi Muyo over No Need for Tenchi.

Trust me, not being familiar with the actual content of Toshokan Sensou/Library Wars, I have to say as a Japanese speaker, they sound equally interesting and ridiculous.

And besides, This End Up (the actual translation of Tenchi Muyo) makes everything so much more clear than the 'No Need for Tenchi', flowery translation.

Ohoni wrote:
What about [Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya] says "wacky comedy"?

The exact same part that Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu does. Irony much?

Ohoni wrote:
It only gets confusing when you have Japanese names presented in Western order.

I'm notorious for providing names in Japanese word order. I guess I get it from intaking so much Japanese source material and no stress regarding having to publish said information outside of fan side-projects that have a level of professionalism right above "I don't use 13375p34|<".

That said, if I'm most familiar with a show called "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" and I'm wandering around and hearing people talk about "Haruhi Suzumiya", can I not use those same context clues to devise maybe they're the same?

Ohoni wrote:

Oh, you can't be serious with this. As a native English speaker with some Japanese experience, when I first saw the Japanese title, I immediately began looking for dictionaries to look up 'yuuutsu' (sorry, medical terminology isn't my strong suit). When I saw the English translation, I had a comparable word that I knew some definition for which to apply.

The only reason I could see them as being equal with no knowledge of what 'yuuutsu' meant, would mean that you'd equally have to know what 'melancholy' meant. Anything else is just pandering to the "I want to speak Japanese or sound like it" crowd.

Ohoni wrote:
If the Japanese can avoid calling Edward Elrich "Elrich Edward" then we can offer them the same courtesy.

No, the Japanese will put Japanese, Chinese, and Korean names in their respective order. Everyone else gets tossed in Western order, including lingual cultures from eastern Europe (Hungarians, I think?) which have a tradition of addressing names just as the Japanese do, and ethnic Japanese who hold another citizenship (Brazilian, American, Canadian etc.). Likewise, foreigners living in Japan have their name on all official documents in Western Order, unless of course they become citizens and take official Japanese names.

Japanese business cards meant for international use, IIRC, will read kanji in Japanese order, romaji in Western Order.

As I said, I'm notorious for using Japanese names in Japanese order, just out of habit. I'm not going to jump down someone's throat because the dialog says "Yamada Taro" and a subtitle says "Taro Yamada". Or, even if in conversation with someone and they continually use Hideaki Anno, where I'd use Anno Hideaki.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Samurai Troopers/ Ronin Warriors. This seems completely arbitrary. Is the word samurai any more obscure than the word Ronin? Was there a legal reason for this change?

Since others have already answered your questions pertaining to Kenshin and Conan, and I know the answer to the YST/RW naming confusion:

The naming of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers didn't necessarily come out of a direct legal dispute but there was legal and marketing pressure that came about because there was too much similarity to Saban's American-adaptation called VR Troopers, which was running at the time. While the renaming of the series had little to do with pressures of cultural obscurity, many of the names of characters were re-named for that reason.

This is about the only reason I don't get upset over title changes (not that it really sends me into NERDRAGE in the first place). I can commit to memory a relationship for what Japanese name equals what English name as far as titles go (characters it can be harder). But, there should be a legal/"damn good" business reason for the re-naming when a simple translation cannot suffice.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
I have to admit that because of this discussion I'm actually interested enough in Saikano to check this series out. I had no idea what it involved and it didn't sound very interesting, but now that I've seen (for lack of a better term) translated titles for the show it's piqued my interest.
As such I'd have to say that while translated titles aren't the end all be all it certainly makes life easier for me a non japanese speaking person.

I'm kind of the opposite here.
'She, the Ultimate Weapon' is a title I've seen on the shelf a few times (Manga UK) and thought 'That is such an awful title' and it's put me way off wanting to buy it.
'Saikano', however, is a title I've seen people talking about and thought that it might be worth checking out.

Now that I know they're the same thing, my dislike for the name 'She, The Ultimate Weapon' has been transferred to 'Saikano'. Such a bad title. Sad

I'm just goin' to footnote this post by saying that generally I prefer titles to be translated - but in the case that they sound totally lame (in my subjective view Wink) they might be better off left as a string of incomprehensible characters - or even changed entirely. 'Hell Girl' is another that I think sounds bad in English (as did an earlier poster), but 'Jigoku Shoujo' is a bad idea marketing-wise since a lot of people won't know what it means - 'Hell Correspondence' would have worked for me.
I wouldn't mind titles like 'Fruits Basket' being translated to 'Fruit Basket' either. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the best solution all around would be to just use both titles. Kind of like the example of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. You have both the Japanese and English title there from the point of creation. Why not just put both on the DVDs, the English large and obvious since that's the language of most in this market, and the Japanese in a smaller font?

People who found the series via fansubs could then see that part of the name on the DVDs and everyone else can know what the show is called without needing dictionaries or language classes. (Of course, the coolest and most awesome solution would be for huge waves of Japanese to immigrate to the US, forcing us to become a bilingual country with Japanese as the second language but somehow I doubt that'll happen.)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Because they aren't consistantly presented in western order. Japanese people don't give Japanese names in western order. If they did then the name of the series would be "Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu". So the order of the named characters should remain consistant, as in, the same as their country of orgin. If the Japanese can avoid calling Edward Elrich "Elrich Edward" then we can offer them the same courtesy.

I'm calling bullcrap. If a series is consistent within itself, there is no confusion. You seem to think that there needs to be a universal consistency on naming convention, and that's just not the case. As long as you don't get people reversing the name order within the series itself (unless it is plot relevant, but I don't think I've ever seen that), then there is no confusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6