• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gash/Zatch Bell's Raiku Wins 2.55M Yen over Lost Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome news- it's a shame that manga companies horde the original artwork of their creators, and is something domestic fans are often unaware of....

Keeping your artwork has been a standard of the domestic comics industry for years after fans and creators battled with comic companies like Marvel and DC [most famously Jack Kirby http://www.tcj.com/aa02ss/n_marvel.html ], and advancements in comics technology in the 90's with home-scanners and e-mail changed the industry so that artists can send completed files for printing to the publishers themselves. It's really strange that manga publishers in Japan still collect original pages from artists when these technologies exist and have become quite cheap [I imagine some artists may do this, but it's still shocking that such a large company would do things in such an inefficient way]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
I am quite glad Raiku won the case. Though I had wished he had gotten the three million amount.

I am not sure if the company actually meant to lose the inserts, but this is what happens when a lose like this occurs.

Kudo's for Zatch Bell Raiku though.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
It's really strange that manga publishers in Japan still collect original pages from artists when these technologies exist and have become quite cheap [I imagine some artists may do this, but it's still shocking that such a large company would do things in such an inefficient way]

It probably has to do with quality issues and/or the publisher wanting to keep control over the manuscripts while the manga is running in the magazine.

Anyway, I'm glad that Raiku "won."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1