• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shenmue Gai Social Game Canceled 1 Year After Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigercml

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
When will we see Shenmue 3? I'd rather it be a video game but I'll take it even if it were a movie. I just want to know the rest of the story. Its a shame. Both games were so epic, and the 3rd one probably would have been the best of them all (considering it was supposed to be the longest). To this day I still consider Shenmue to be one of my favorite games ever made. It revolutionized many aspects of gaming that we see today. Please Yu Suzuki, your loyal fans have been patiently waiting for far too long now.
RaZoR No1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yeah I want to them to release Shenmue 3 too
IRC they wanted to make 6 shenmue games or am I mixing it up with something else?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Now I'll never be able to ask where sailors hang out again!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Tiger: Have to settle for this. Razz
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I beat Shenmue 2 last year, and really hope someday Mr. Suzuki can finish Shenmue 3.

RaZoR No1 wrote:
IRC they wanted to make 6 shenmue games or am I mixing it up with something else?

I think it was originally imagined as a 6 chapter story with 1 game per chapter (so six overall games), but I'm pretty sure they crammed a few chapters of the story into Shenmue 2. After the uber-high costs of development and poor reception for Shenmue 1, not to mention the changing console scene with successive generations emerging and leaving people's save files from the previous game untransferrable to new devices, they probably figured 6 games wasn't commercially viable, and decided to condense the story.

It's a critically acclaimed cult hit though, so there are plenty of fans waiting to find out what happens next (like me).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1