• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rose of the Rhine GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
I liked this book too, but the review doesn't mention what I liked most about the first story and that's that it was really funny. I know humor is in the eye of the beholder, but the little chorus of servants present throughout, as well as some of the asides and the frames that are cut to in the midst of action are just hilarious. This book was a real departure from what I've seen of her work, and I liked this side of her.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Based upon the medieval Norse epic poem, “Sagas of Dietrich,” this multi-chapter vision of homoerotic love might as well be a piece of well-conceived slash fanfiction.

Funny!

I remember watching Wagner's Ring Cycle Opera on PBS when I was a kid. The story mesmerized me. I'm curious about what the yaoi version would look like.

Casey, you really know your stuff. I like how you don't just focus on the story, but also examine the storytelling and storyteller.

Kind of off-topic (forgive me), but I've been meaning to say how much I appreciate the fact that ANN reviews so many different types of manga. From yaoi to moe to downright gruesome - you read it all and review it. If it weren't for your reviews, I probably wouldn't have discovered some of my favorite series like After School Nightmare or Keys to the Kingdom. Thanks!
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I liked this manga, but honestly I felt the chonology of the story, as presented, was a bit confusing-- at least it was for me, the first time through it. There were moments where it took me a few pages into the next section to realize it was supposed to be a flashback (I thought, they just declared their love and all that, why are they acting like that never happened?). It took me the second time through to piece together the order in my head (not a bother though, because I read my manga many, many times over). Other than that, I thought the story was sweet (once I sorta figured it out) and the art is great. I'd definitely buy other Megumu Minami titles (having said that, there was some reason I decided not to buy Pleasure Dome in the past, though I don't remember what it was...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Casey, I'm not sure if you take BL recommendations, but if you do, please review Miyamoto Kano's "Say Please" and "Two of Hearts". Both by Deux/Aurora Publishing. I believe "Say Please" to be the more interesting work, and definitely more representative of the mangaka's slice-of-life'ish type stories, but "Two of Hearts" is good too.
"Not Love" will be released in January 2009, and is my personal favourite.

Apologies for putting this on the forum, I can msg you directly if you prefer. Just have to find your contact details ....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1