• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Skip Beat!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
Sho's the romantic lead?? ... News to me. I thought there WAS no romantic lead. Just goes to show what kind of manga this is...

Yeah, it's absurd, but I think it's in a good way. It never takes itself seriously at all. At least it's original. Anime hyper
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Sho's the romantic lead?? ... News to me. I thought there WAS no romantic lead. Just goes to show what kind of manga this is...

No, Sho is definately not the romantic lead :/ From what I've read so far, I definately don't see KyokoxSho happening ever again. He's more like the villain xD

And I'd say that it's unfair to say that Kyoko has *no* talent. spoiler[It is shown that she's a really great actress by at least the second volume (and certainly further on)]. Sure the show biz story is a bit ridiculous, but not quite as bad as you make it out to be xD I do think that there are talent agencies out there who hire more based on personality than talent or even looks. Just look at any Japanese idol group and you'll definately get that vibe.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
Luckily, things improve drastically in the second volume, after Kyoko learns what Sho really thinks of her.

You mean the second chapter. She learns what he really thinks at the end of the first chapter. Also, I think the Love Love division makes sense considering the personality of the President.

And I agree that Kyoko actually does have talent, she's just to focused on her revenge to make use of it.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
I just have to say that the art is BEYOND competent. Once you get to vol. 5, you'll see what I mean. spoiler[Kyoko and Moko audition for a commercial and I've never seen manga artwork emote so well.]
nerei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely my favourite manga EVER! It's so funny! I'm rooting for RenxKyoko!
rabble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Not my favorite manga EVER, but definitely worth reading. I'm rooting for MokoxKyoko! Sho is slime and luckily enough, hardly ever gets any page time as the series progresses past volume 1, at least so far.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I would say that Ren is more likely the love interest, not Sho. Sho kicks off the story, but once it really gets rolling he takes a backseat. I'd actually say there are 3 love interests involving Kyoko (Sho, Ren, and that Chef guy she borrows the knife from), but Ren is probably going to be the most prominent one (especially considering their pasts).

Kyoko is actually quite talented, it's just hard for her to focus sometimes.

The stuff within the agency is pretty absurd, and very unrealistic, but I think that's what makes the manga so great.

I also agree that the art is more than just "competent." The characters emote very well.

To respond to Sho's lack of appearances...he does pop up quite often in certain chapters (he's on a talk show at her agency). And I think he plays a decent sized roll in book 7, as Kyoko is supposed to appear in one of his videos.

I don't think it's "unfortunate" that her cruelty fades away. It's true that it defines the manga, and makes it more interesting that others with similar plots. But it does still pop up in some random places. It can't go on forever, as the story is about Kyoko progressing past her lust for revenge. Her reasons for wanting to become a famous idol do change throughout the story as Kyoko herself changes.
nerei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
3 love interests involving Kyoko (Sho, Ren, and that Chef guy she borrows the knife from)

I thought the Chef guy is married?!
Anyway, he rarely appears in later books, so I'll say the main ones are just Sho and Ren.
vamsie48

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
I thought Sho was the main character and not Ryo......
I want to root for Sho and Kyoko, but what about you guys?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1