• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Barnes & Noble's Member club (manga fans take note!)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I decided I'd give B&N's new Member club (no, that's not bad grammar, the club is called "Member") a shot as the 10% discount on books sounded like a great deal, save about $1 on each manga. After doing so I'm glad I did, there are far more benefits than just the 10% discount. For a $25 membership you get 10% off of anything in the store, including magazines, merchandise including bargin books and clearence items, and even stuff from the cafe. The membership is also useable at B&N.com. On top of that every time you make a perchase they give you a coupon (the one I just got is an extra 10% off any CD or DVD for a total of 20% off!). They also have a special email promotion that will send you added discounts in your email. The very best part is that anyone in your household can use your card! Children can get discounts from their parents card, siblings can share a card, room mates could go in halves on a card, all they need is a phone number. My brother and I share an apartment so we're both going to be making the most of my card.

The $25 does seem like a lot for a membership, but if you're heavy into buying manga and magazines you can make that money back fast, that's only about two manga a month. You'd save $12 over a year buying Newtype, and $6 over a year buying Shonen Jump or Animerica. And maybe even more depending on coupons.

I'm really happy with this program, I much prefer the idea of getting instant gratification over earning points.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1