• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ken Iyadomi on Bandai's Downsizing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'm interested to know how k-on did ... It seems like one of those series that has a huge following online of cheap-asses who won't pay money to support their supposed favorite shows. Oh well ... Will bandai be making things available on Netflix streaming I wonder ...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Bang.
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering who'll pick up any future Lucky Star volumes. All volumes that have been released in Japan have also been released in America, but it's still ongoing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
"But at this point, little is set in stone. Only one thing is clear: the role of a distributor for anime in North America is changing, and some well-equipped licensors can now cut them out of the process entirely, if they choose. Japanese publishers can now create Blu-rays with English subtitles, ready to import to English speakers worldwide. While those won't sell as many copies as American-produced discs, the higher price point and lack of middleman can still result in a decent amount of revenue with little additional cost. Bandai Visual Japan recently discovered this for themselves with their release of Gundam Unicorn. "They found the results pretty good, and that's how I think they would like to move forwards," Iyadomi says."

So yeah, well probably see more stuff like Fate/Zero, since America doesn't generate enough money for these companies to focus on whole new releases for the region.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
*applauds* Congratulations on posting an article on information we didn't already know.

FYI, It's Gundam 00I, not 1.
sommer89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Just great i dont have blu ray nor to i plan to get a blu ray player so what am i goint to do about gundam unicorn.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
I'm wondering who'll pick up any future Lucky Star volumes. All volumes that have been released in Japan have also been released in America, but it's still ongoing.

After one or two "low ball" MG offers, they'll wait a bit for the serious offers. Then they'll realize those were not low-ball offers, but fair market values.

So some patience may be required.
Starks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
So, more expensive Honneamise Style releases are on the way?
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
I can only hope the decision was made in such a way that the employees and contractors who are being laid off have at least a little time left on the clock so they can at least try to plan what comes next. It sucks either way, of course, and my best wishes go out to them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
I can only hope the decision was made in such a way that the employees and contractors who are being laid off have at least a little time left on the clock so they can at least try to plan what comes next. It sucks either way, of course, and my best wishes go out to them.

Well, the aren't shutting down their DVD/BD operations until February, so they probably have a month at least.
KiraV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
I hope Bandai Visual Japan wasn't taking Gundam Unicorn's sales *too* seriously.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I was ok with paying $50/episode for that specific series with its dub and amazing production values (and, importantly, only 6 episode run), but there isn't much else I would commit that kind of cash for,

Let's hope Funimation's pricing scheme keeps going strong. I really don't want the Aniplex/Bandai Visual model to become the standard.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well, this was depressing yesterday, but it's downright tragic today. I'd be one thing to say demand is still dry and we can't afford to keep in business. It's sad, but makes sense. But to say they can't do what the market demands because a business model is being forced on them, after we've seen how well that model has worked her, that's just pathetic. Come to think of it though, that does explain the pricing of Haruhi season 2.

The sad part is, this will probably cut into license rescues. Funi won't pick up something if they have to release singles.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
sommer89 wrote:
Just great i don't have blu ray nor to i plan to get a blu ray player so what am i goint to do about gundam unicorn.

How can you not plan to get a blu-ray player EVER? If you want to follow technology related entertainment, you've got to keep up. You can get a blu-ray player for like $40 now.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I have to say, this does not make me feel confident about the future pricing and quality of anime releases in North America. Japanese anime executives seem to be oblivious to a number of things:

1) Americans don't think anime is priceless, and won't pay absurd amounts of money for it.

2) Americans can tell when a show has been subtitled by an intern with undergraduate level English education and no eye for proofreading (see hulu subtitled releases of Digimon Adventure 02/Tamers); they think it sounds stilted and unnatural compared to a script written by a native speaker who also happens to be a good writer.

3) And for crap's sake, whoever is in charge of handling the license to the Evangelion movies: You will not get a higher profile NA release than what Funimation can offer you because the average, non-anime-fan American would find Evangelion to be weird, horrifying, and offensive.

So please Japan, leave marketing to North Americans to the people who know it best: North Americans. Despite any evidence to the contrary, most of us think that those middle-man companies like Funimation, Bandai Entertainment, and even what was once ADV deliver a better product at a better price than imports; especially in regards to translation quality and dubbing. Unless you go out of your way to hire experts in English language translating, writing, dubbing, and marketing, you're making a mistake by cutting off your best link to a significant market.

EDIT:

Jeid wrote:
I hope Bandai Visual Japan wasn't taking Gundam Unicorn's sales *too* seriously.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I was ok with paying $50/episode for that specific series with its dub and amazing production values (and, importantly, only 6 episode run), but there isn't much else I would commit that kind of cash for,

THIS. If Bandai Visual thinks I'm paying that much for anything but Gundam Unicorn (which is incredible, go buy it), they are woefully mistaken.

Last edited by icomeanon6 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Once again, this is unfortunate. At least I don't have to feel rushed to purchase any of the titles that I don't already own for a while (given the fact that they'll be re-manufactured).

However, I don't think eliminating the "middleman" will help Japanese publishers much; it's, effectively, distributing to a niche audience. How many people are going to pay those comically high prices for Japanese DVD/BD releases?

If I had three wishes...

1) Return Earth's biosphere to way it was before human exploitation.
2) Return human populations to the way they were before Industrial Revolutions.
3) Return the anime industry to its state of robustness before digi-subs.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31