• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ken Iyadomi on Bandai's Downsizing

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Nyghtwynd wrote:
Just got an e-mail from bandai. Turns out they were overwhelmed withy orders and support tickets. At least they were appologetic. My dvds are on their way!

Was wondering if the delay was due to the workload. I received a shipping notice and response to my customer support ticket today, too! Blu-rays are on their way! Very Happy Major coincidence that we each should get responses from Bandai within about twenty-four hours of our posting here. Smile
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm still confused when they mean sub-license does that mean if Bandai can get digital rights they can give the DVD/BD rights to another R1 company?

Cause there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $70 for two episodes a piece from Gundam AGE and non-subbed on top of that. Same for the boxset they will eventually release not paying $500~$800 for however many episodes it will have and possibly that will not be subbed too.

Wish they would at least let us keep Gundam and Code Geass here in the states cause I would be forever depressed if I can't own future series from my two favorite franchises cause of this.

While I don't mind digital releases if they are available here in the US I prefer to own what I like physically without paying a kidney for it.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I'm still confused when they mean sub-license does that mean if Bandai can get digital rights they can give the DVD/BD rights to another R1 company?

Who is "they" here? All that the US subsidiary Bandai Entertainment specify that they are handing is digital and merch rights.

For work that Bandai or a Bandai company in Japan has the rights, they can release directly, which likely means the "sell a kidney" prices, they can license directly to a US distributor like Funimation or the Sentai/Section23/TAN companyplex, or they could, if they preferred, have Bandai Entertainment handle the physical licensing to a US firm.

The thing that is ruled out is Bandai Entertainment (USA) licensing anime for its own physical release.

Quote:
Cause there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $70 for two episodes a piece from Gundam AGE and non-subbed on top of that. Same for the boxset they will eventually release not paying $500~$800 for however many episodes it will have and possibly that will not be subbed too.

Bear in mind that Tiger and Bunny was licensed to Viz, so its not guaranteed that every title where Bandai Japan is involved will be at the kidney-selling price point.

Quote:
Wish they would at least let us keep Gundam and Code Geass here in the states cause I would be forever depressed if I can't own future series from my two favorite franchises cause of this.

If they were happy with the Gundam Unicorn direct release from Japan, then it would not be surprising if more Gundam titles would be along the same lines. Whether they'd do that for Code Geass, I dunno.

Quote:
While I don't mind digital releases if they are available here in the US I prefer to own what I like physically without paying a kidney for it.
And there is the issue of only being able to get one set by selling a kidney ... the nursing instructors at this school tell me that selling both kidneys is a bad decision for some medical sounding reason.
magmalord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
You know from these 31 pages I read from this I realized what the problem why anime isn't as popular as it used to be, because of you all ranting and complaing about how anime is edited on tv, so instead of just waiting to buy the uncensored DVDs you complained to the networks demanding to see it uncut, which caused the market to shrink. Lets be honest here, most of anime veiwers were kids and we just grew up. We could have kept the boom going if we just let them edit the anime on tv. Then again, due to Toonami putting all of thier funding into Naruto is also another big questioner.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Why are you resurrecting a Talkback thread after 7 months?

Fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31