• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll to Speak at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beruda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
I understand why companies like ADV and others have opted to deal with CR but I wish it wasn't so. I'll never spend money at that site.

B. Sad
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why Crunchyroll would openly alienate people by allowing region blocking but there you have it...
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Beruda wrote:
I understand why companies like ADV and others have opted to deal with CR but I wish it wasn't so. I'll never spend money at that site.

B. Sad

Dont actually pay do you? still a donation or has it changed? (because like anime is apparently a charity to them)

Sure I have seen/watched fansubs, but I have never seen anime as free or a charity.

EDIT: Having said that I cant really blame the majorty of people who go there thinking that anime is free.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I don't understand why Crunchyroll would openly alienate people by allowing region blocking but there you have it...

Because they'd never be able to get licensors to give them legal rights to worldwide distribution in the current market. Pretty simple.

I think everyone is slowly going to come around to allowing worldwide online distribution, but Japan moves very, very slowly. It will take years to convince them that it's worth the perceived risk. The entertainment business as it exists today has evolved over 100 years around the concept of physical barriers, and it's going to take time to entirely restructure the business around the fact that such barriers don't exist anymore.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, not for nothing, but they're going to have to get the finger out because a certain other mannor of watching anime with english subtitles doesn't need to wait untill some french idiots say it's ok for me as a Britt to watch a show uncensored.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
What possiblly could a bunch of pirates have worth while to lecture anyone at MIT about I haven't the foggyist. The positive business aspects of theft and larceny? First steal a company's product and give it away to anyone, and ask for donations to do it as well, until that company is brought to the the brink of liquidation, then make them crawl to you begging to be saved? A PhD in how to make crime pay? I'd love to be there for the Q & A, if there would be one. Rolling Eyes
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What possiblly could a bunch of pirates have worth while to lecture anyone at MIT about I haven't the foggyist. The positive business aspects of theft and larceny? First steal a company's product and give it away to anyone, and ask for donations to do it as well, until that company is brought to the the brink of liquidation, then make them crawl to you begging to be saved? A PhD in how to make crime pay? I'd love to be there for the Q & A, if there would be one. Rolling Eyes

Im glad someone else thinks like this, it seems most people would rather turn a blind eye or just do not care. (having said that I find it hard to care now days)
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Right, because Crunchyroll single-handedly caused the downfall of the entire anime industry.

Also, if you knew anything about MIT at all, convergence culture and modern social media = extremely relevant to MIT-CMS' interest.
tissuebubble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

lol, those MIT students are the most upstanding people. Not like they hacked into Boston's Subway System or anything. Seriously my guess is that they are going to talk about how the combining of technology and media is coming along (Convergence of Media). They probably will talk about how media is coming together, user interaction with media, the ability to have forums, images, etc. has made them a major destination for a niche market. The MIT talks on convergence culture are very interesting and usually they do discuss how they start out as illegal. The other day I read an except from MIT about fanfiction and its wild growth on the internet and how that may be illegal yet how it is bringing fans together in communities. Usually legality is second to what is actually happening, what impact it has, and what it will be like in the future.

Plus all internet companies pretty much break copyright law. Google is being sued over Youtube and lost a lawsuit over how they handle displaying websites images in their search. [/url]
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:

Right, because Crunchyroll single-handedly caused the downfall of the entire anime industry.

Also, if you knew anything about MIT at all, convergence culture and modern social media = extremely relevant to MIT-CMS' interest.

were did he say CR caused the downfall of the entire anime industery?
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, someone from MIT can throw some tomatoes at the speaker to represent those of us who really don't like what CR has done in the past.

tissuebubble wrote:
The other day I read an except from MIT about fanfiction and its wild growth on the internet and how that may be illegal yet how it is bringing fans together in communities. Usually legality is second to what is actually happening, what impact it has, and what it will be like in the future.

That's still in debate, eh? It does make an interesting discussion. Fanfiction has been around for ages. Fan art has been around for ages. Fan comics have been around for ages. Fan videos hasn't reached an actual decade age yet, but will get there. I guess everything we do has been illegal but legal... Dang ol' complexities of the fan world!! =__=; (The only real unfortunate thing is that Crunchyroll has been around for several years now...)
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
it's the internet, law is just another search word to it

http://anti-crunchyroll.blogspot.com/

Yes, they all sound like teenagers to me who are doing this out of the goodness of there heart.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
They are teenagers at heart. Laughing

Crunchyroll is the little riceball that could.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1