• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rave Master Edited DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
This is Tokyopop we're talking about. The same folks that made a mockery of Initial D. The same folks that has 7 or so Anime titles to their name, with only one worth bothering to mention (Real Bout High School). A company that solicits more Manga than Anime.

They also have GTO. But yeah, I thought they would have learned something from the Initial D fiasco. Guess not.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop's not Viz. They do release unedited anime and manga eventually.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This is Tokyopop we're talking about. The same folks that made a mockery of Initial D. The same folks that has 7 or so Anime titles to their name, with only one worth bothering to mention (Real Bout High School). A company that solicits more Manga than Anime.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a press release stating that due to overwhelming responses to Uncut Rave Master, that they outright say "No way we're gonna do it."

Are you kidding? Saint Tail and Vampire Princess Miyu are the gems of Tokypop anime. I've heard good things about GTO and Kenji's Spring, too. Real Bout High School is probably one of their lamest properties. Isn't it just a smack shit show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quote
SekiGatha wrote:
Tokyopop is hurting Rave fans. The manga is one of my favorites and waited in anticipation to see the anime only to see a show that rips it just apart. There is some good voice acting (Haru, Ellie, and especially Lance), but the script is terrible. Dead characters come back to life (Biz), Names are changed (Decaforce Sword instead of Ten Commandments) and all drugs and alcohol references changed just for the tweens.

I guess Tokyopop edited out the drug, alcohol, and religious references from Rave Master so that they could get the anime broadcasted on television. *shrugs* That's only a guess.

Question Is the Tokyopop manga version of Rave Master edited exactly like the dub or is it unedited?
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The manga version is unedited far as I've seen of it.

Although I gotta admit, the dub of Rave Master is pretty damn funny.

Here everyone, lets calm down and take our medicine -

Grandpa's medicine...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
Real Bout High School is probably one of their lamest properties. Isn't it just a smack shit show?

Yeah, I think I'd actually set the RBHS anime BEHIND the edited Rave. It's just a horrible show that's absolutly nothing like the manga. I couldn't justify finishing it until I found a used copy. Go read the manga, it's a much better story.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:46 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop's just a wierd freakin' company to me, at least when it comes to their anime division. Out of all the properties they've wanted to broadcast on television, only two have actually hit the airwaves (Reign and Rave Master). They can completely botch a release like the best of them, yet they can also completely NAIL a release like the best of them (GTO is undeniably awesome).

And while I'm no fan of Rave Master in the slightest, I gotta admit Tokyopop's Toonami-safe version made me absolutely wince in horror. LET'S ALL DO THE RAVE-A-LONG KIDS

Also, though I am completely in favor of utilizing Reel Big Fish and Tom Kenny to whatever end, I cannot endorse Tokyopop's Rave Master either in part or in whole.

wow does it feel weird to be posting here again. been busy with AnimeJump, y'know. hey everybody!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:06 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
The manga version is unedited far as I've seen of it.

I'm glad that the Rave Master manga isn't edited. Very Happy It will be cool to see how different it is from the dub. Don't get me wrong, I do like the dub, but it is always fun to see what the original is like.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry Rave Master fans. Duel Masters fans are in the same boat. The manga kicks arse (and is in color o_O) but the dub, well, strays a bit.
Depression

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think that doing this going to hurt Tokyopop much more then help them because just look at the poll here on ANN it show that about 60% of the people who voted won't buy it because it was edited while only about 3% doesn't care and will buy it anyway. I think this will cause them to either come out with a unedited version, hopefully.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about an unedited version.

Edited or not,Rave Master's an okay show but just okay.

The edits don't bug me one bit.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I sat through about 5 minutes or so tonight after taking a shower flipping between that and, ironically enough, Spongebob. It was tolerable......and then the story part ended. (I don't suppose they actually have a Rave during the Rave-a-long, do they?) I can't believe that there's still post-episode filler in today's tv environment.

Anyway, I guess this brings up a good question. Which edited anime would you least want to see: Rave Master (and its Rave-a-long goodness) or Duel Masters (and its butchery goodness)?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
Y'see, Duel Masters at least goes full-force with it's made-up, crazy script. While I wouldn't put it on the same level as Samurai Pizza Cats, it's at least in the same spirit as Saban's classic. I also like the Sealab 2021-esque moments, where the writers obviously used After Effects to alter the animation for a cheesy joke.
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Anyway, I guess this brings up a good question. Which edited anime would you least want to see: Rave Master (and its Rave-a-long goodness) or Duel Masters (and its butchery goodness)?

Hmm... I like both Rave Master and Duel Masters, so that's a tough question. I guess if I *had* to choose one over the other to watch I'd pick Rave Master. (Musica is a hottie. lol Wink Also, the animation is more appealing to my eyes.)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:57 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
sailor_titan wrote:
Real Bout High School is probably one of their lamest properties. Isn't it just a smack shit show?

Yeah, I think I'd actually set the RBHS anime BEHIND the edited Rave. It's just a horrible show that's absolutly nothing like the manga. I couldn't justify finishing it until I found a used copy. Go read the manga, it's a much better story.

Emerje

Actually, I think RBHS should be past Edited Rave. At least it's tolerable, plus it's supposed to be funny. I mean, no self-respecting school anywhere would endorse allowing their students to fight wantonly in what amounts to sanctioned Street Fights. Which makes it outrageous.

GTO....the VA's irked me. They didn't seem to "match" Onizuka or mostly 50% of the cast. I think this runs somewhat rampant thru most of the Tokyopop Anime.

Initial D.....well, I would date someone named Mako, not Maya. Very Happy

Reign....Let's just say, I have a serious clinical issue with "Hollywood History," and Reign pretty much shattered that line and made Pearl Harbor look like gold in my eyes. And I HATED Pearl Harbor for it's numerous factual edits (Since when did the 1940's-era Pacific Fleet had Spruance Class Guided Missle Destroyers?).

As for the others....i'm not a girl, so offering opinions on that would be akin to me saying I like all of Anne Rice's Vampire Novels when i'm trying to review her Erotica Stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3