• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DiCaprio is Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

And don't put yourselves down too much Zac. ANN is the definitive anime news site(that I know of). If they're hoping to pull in the anime audience, I'd expect a little PR talk with an anime site or 2 to hype up the production.

I'm speaking from experience here. I have realistic expectations. I always, always try my hardest, but I am also realistic about it.

Who knows, maybe they'll want to sit down with us. I'll find out soon enough.
Redxr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Call me again when they decide to produce the live-action Kodomo no Jikan film.

AKIRA and Ninja Scroll are about as mainstream as you can get in this field of entertainment. Same goes with Cowboy Bebop and GitS and all the other pieces of trash that will put out next year.

Wow, just wow. I didn't think anime elitists still existed.You want him to prove his credibility by making a pedophilia anime into a live action movie? Then you go on to call Gits and Cowboy Bebop trash when they are head, shoulders and hell, body over anything Kodomo could ever be...you're a strange fellow. Then again, you like "Kidomo" no Jikan.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey, hey...

...all I'm saying is that the only anime movie I've seen recently that's actually been accurate to its source material is Speed Racer. I WANT movies to be more like that, even if for some amazing reason everybody hated it.

The only reason I said I wanted to see Leonardo's anime collection was because I'm honestly curious, because Leo COMPLETELY does not strike me as being an anime fan. I'll take his word for it, though.

And, pardon me for saying so, but I don't think that asking a movie to be mildly accurate to its original anime/manga counterpart is in the SLIGHTEST bit elitist. If he makes a good movie otherwise, then good for him. I just won't think of it as Akira.

Just like I considered Final Fantasy: The Spirits within to be a "good movie". I just would not consider it to be a Final Fantasy (despite the fact that it was FF's CREATOR, Sakaguchi, who directed the thing). Otherwise, it was a great Sci-Fi film.

Can you understand why we MIGHT be curious about Leonardo's fandom? I was a 5th-grader when Titanic came out, and have since then had this "My Heart Will Go On" image of him, so thinking of him as a "big anime fan" would be a very, VERY interesting turn-around.

THAT is why I am curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Well, I do know that the guy who remade "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is probably the worst choice for Akira, considering how much he's borrowing from it, without actually making it interesting. That music video guy from Kanye West's video did a damn good job, though. I'm not into that Irish Spielberg-wannabe, Danny Boyle, either, but he'd probably be perfect for the production design. My pick as director, though, would probably be Chris Nolan.

Marz: You want your anime adaptations to be about people talking for no reason whatsoever, instead of actually focusing on what makes the material popular? Rolling Eyes Also, Leo's done "edgy" before Titanic. See Basketball Diaries.
Redxr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Marz- I completely understand everything you're saying and actually agree with it for the most part. Personally, I don't have that image of Leo but that doesn't mean I think his company will do a terrific job with Akira. Hell I doubt even Otomo himself could do it and I respect the man from the bottom of my heart. Simply put, I don't think the movie will be any good because the source material is infinitely more complex than what can be told in an hour and a half. Akira, the anime didn't do the Manga justice but it succeeded in several things. Not only did blow us away with incredible animation that still to this day is beautiful to watch but it also broke barriers for the anime industry here in the west.

I don't see this movie doing anything but slicing up a story we all love and throwing some CG at it. It has no reason to be made, no purpose. At least for the anime fans.

Anyways, the reason I had posted was that nonsense about Gits and Cowboyb Bebop being "trash" and Kodomo being something to write home about.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The only way to do Ninja Scroll properly, in my opinion, is to go the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon route- Japanese actors with Hollywood production values. However, since this would be a subtitled movie it would be risky, at least here in the U.S.
I can't see how you could do it any other way, though, and not be cheesy.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me, that it would seem foolish for any artist to dismiss any medium of storytelling, thats why it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that DiCaprio is an anime fan, why would you dismiss any medium, simply because its from another country?
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU: "You want your anime adaptations to be about people talking for no reason whatsoever, instead of actually focusing on what makes the material popular?"

I'm... not sure what you're getting at. If you're referring to my Speed Racer reference, I seem to recall that a lot of the movie was about racing, which I THOUGHT was the point of Speed Racer. Any other talking in that movie... well... it had to have a plot, right? I thought it worked.

Redxr: I agree, the manga is far too complex, and you're right, even the original anime movie did no kind of justice to the manga. Even if the movie is absolute Hollywood magic, it won't be able to cover the depth of the manga.

Let me give some other examples, then - anyone ever see 300? Ever read the comic? The movie is FANTASTIC, and SPOT ON to most scenes in the original graphic novel. Zack Snyder did a good job. Zack also directed the upcoming movie adaptation of Watchmen. Having read the comics and having watched the trailers and looked up some more info on the movie production, this looks like it's again going to be a very accurate adaptation of the source material. Alan Moore, writer of Watchmen, said that the extremely detailed sets and perfect lighting allowed him to see his creation come to life, that everything was perfect, and that he was thrilled to see this come together. When the original creator of the original source material says that he is pleased with what is happening, I know it will be VERY pleasing. That should ALSO be pleasing to the fans.

tl;dr - Accurate, good adaptations of previously animated features or comics are CERTAINLY possible. It's just few and far between, and I'm only HOPING this will be good, too, because I have nothing to go on right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Marz: No, most of the Speed Racer movie is about the main characters talking about their effing race-car businesses, with reaction shots from the peanut gallery, and a pointless fight scene and some stupid in-joke about shonen anime on the telly. The actual races get only slightly more screen time than the actual fights in DBZ.

As for Watchmen, they couldn't include one of the characters, and Alan Moore has [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_(film)]yet[/url]
to officially endorse the film.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Fine, I'll have to link you to the footage I found of him praising it later (as I am at work right now and can't).

Either way, I think the missing of one character might be a bit nit-picky, and either way things are still looking far more accurate than half of the animated/comic adaptations I've seen over the past few years.

I mean, all I'm saying is, I'm not asking for much. Just accuracy to character behavior, most looks, a nod in the direction of some outfits, and the general overtone of the movie.

Some movies have not been successful in recreating that. I still say that what I ask is not elitist. Just appreciation for the source material.
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
After watching Gangs of New York, Blood Diamond, The Departed, and the pair of YouTube videos he was involved with that sent out the message to get people to vote, I can't help but have some respect for the guy. Not sure he's exactly the best choice for these adaptions, but if he wants to stay faithful to the source material, then it can't be too bad, right?

I saw Akira four years ago. I don't remember a thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Only a handful of anime fans have even touched the Akira manga anyways, and most haven't seen the 2-decade-old movie (if even many veterans haven't seen it, what chance do post-Pokemon neophytes have?). So for all intents and purposes, this will be new (kinda like the movie 300 - most people didn't even know the comics exist).

Even if the live-action film copies the anime frame-by-frame, it will still fall far short just because of how much the anime compressed the manga. Yet, many anime fans would probably praise it just for simply doing that, go figure.

No, forget about the anime movie. We've moved beyond that. If the live-action film wants to stand on its own, it has to do what the anime didn't do.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for Watchmen, they couldn't include one of the characters, and Alan Moore has [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_(film)]yet[/url]
to officially endorse the film.

Just so ya know, Alan Moore has never approved of any adaptation of his comics, even when they were good films overall. Moore not approving of the Watchmen movie basically means nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That's not actually the actor's fault - publicists who handle press relations for international movie stars and celebrities rarely care at all about "niche press", which is what we are.

Then what the hell is Fangoria?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just so ya know, Alan Moore has never approved of any adaptation of his comics, even when they were good films overall.

That's because there aren't any good adaptations of his work! But I'm hoping that Watchmen changes that losing streak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6