• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to End Its Fox Programming Block in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi-Chan wrote:
Yes ,after all the north america anime industry is just booming right now with it s hard core of fans.Most of whom don t buy a dam thing!
This is somewhat true but personally I think 4Kids played a part in causing that. Although One Piece is not the only anime ever to be edited, I think a lot of the fan outcry over that triggered a pulling away of fans from licensed releases. I think it especially hurt the acceptance of dubs.

Basically, at a time when the vast majority of anime were coming out uncut and with ever better dubs, the constant refrain on many fansites became "anime DVDs are edited and the dubs all sound worse than One Piece." You can still find claims all over some fan sites that anime is censored if it's coming from the R1 companies and I think a lot of this paranoia came from 4Kids' practices.

Hi-Chan wrote:
This industry needs a gateway to lure in news fans and expand the amount of possible consumers or the anime industry here will continue to shrink.
The problem here is that very few anime can be released uncut and kid friendly since the Japanese have a lot fewer hang-ups than the FCC. If something is released edited, fans will riot and ultimately pull the "you should watch the real thing, go download it here" trick like they have so often in recent years. The need for a way to bring in new fans is obvious but pissing off the people who want things uncut isn't a good way to go about it.

The real trick right now is to monetize the downloaders and market more aggressively. (At least, this is what I think should be focused on.) Also, bootleggers need to be dealt with as a surprisingly significant amount of money is being lost that way. A lot of legitimate anime retailers carry bootlegs sadly enough.

Getting kid-friendly anime on TV is a good idea but it can only really succeed if it can be released without heavy editing that will only send more people to the fansubs. Getting anime for teens on the air would probably be much easier. (At the very least, how about some advertising that tries to get mainstream teens to check anime out? Quote DiCaprio since he claims to like anime! See if you can get his legions of fangirls to buy something.)

No matter what choices are made or actions are taken, only one company seems to have the clout to acomplish anything and that's Funimation. 4Kids isn't even concerned about anime in general or really even their specific titles.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The first long running block that's been canceled this year,that I'm actually happy about,lol. 4kids sux(of course) and Fox has sucked since about '03 Cool .

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God. The end might be nigh for 4kids. HALLELUJAH. Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to throw in my 2 cents here:

First of all, I'm intrigued that 4Kids is ending their contract with FOX in December considering that the FOX affiliate in Manitoba no longers airs 4Kids related programming and is instead airing reruns of Saved by the Bell and Beakman's World.

Secondly, I understand that 4Kids is not a good company in the face of many anime fans but you gotta face facts. Back in '97, 4Kids had the balls to show Pokemon in an after school block whereas any other affiliate would've preferred to put the show at a 5 AM slot. The result was not only getting kids interested in Pokemon, but anime itself! In addition, 4Kids also convinced Toei to finish the rest of Kinnikuman Nisei although it bombed miserably in Japan and their Dinosaur King dub is surprisingly enjoyable.

That isn't to say that I don't like 4Kids for all their other practices. One Piece is a dead on example of what that company did wrong and their editing practices are questionable to an extent. However, going around yelling "DIE 4KIDS DIE!!!" doesn't really make your post any more acceptable or respectable. If you want to criticize a company, do so maturely.

504 wrote:
the first long running block that's been canceled this year,that I'm actually happy about,lol. 4kids sux(of course) and Fox has sucked since about '03

In all honesty, I think the block went downhill after 2000. Their treatment of Cybersix and Vision of Escaflowne still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
In addition, 4Kids also convinced Toei to finish the rest of Kinnikuman Nisei although it bombed miserably in Japan and their Dinosaur King dub is surprisingly enjoyable.

Awesome. Someone else on these forums recognizes Dinosaur King's good dub. Smile

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
That isn't to say that I don't like 4Kids for all their other practices. One Piece is a dead on example of what that company did wrong and their editing practices are questionable to an extent. However, going around yelling "DIE 4KIDS DIE!!!" doesn't really make your post any more acceptable or respectable. If you want to criticize a company, do so maturely.

Yeah...well said. 4Kids certainly has their faults, but people should at least criticize the company respectfully so they don't look idiotic.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
4Kids? Oh yeah, that crap ass anime company. I didn't know they were still around... I thought they died when Pokemon died out and they lost One Piece

meh,4kids does'nt even qualify as an actual anime dubbing company in my opinion,they should have never been licensing anime to begin with.

4kids was the worst thing in general to happen to our scicioty,not only just ruining anime,but for ruining other tv networks in general,I hope they get kicked to the curve for buying out the CW

btw,I do However agree with KabaKabaFruit about Kinnikuman Nisei (which was changed to Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy) in america,that was one of they're better dubs and one of my fav animes in general. Very Happy

ok,maybe I was a bit too hypocritical with my top comment above,ok,I do respect 4kids for they're Pokemon dub as well because mostly they kept most of the original music soundtrack,mainly because Nintendo was watching them,but if 4kids would have done the same thing for Hoshi no Kirby for the original soundtrack,Kirby could have had an excellent dub to exceed past the Sonic X dub.

but for Shows like Yugioh: Duel Monsters(Second tv series),Onepiece and Tokyo Mew Mew,I somewhat can't forgive them for that.

and as for they're Shaman king dub,while not quite as badly butchered as the others,but still had some minor edits here and they're like changing some of the religiouse reference and making Ren Tao Brittish instead of Chinise.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Any word or thoughts on what will replace the 4kids block on Fox?
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ruro niko wrote:
Any word or thoughts on what will replace the 4kids block on Fox?

FOX has stated that it will be something other than children's programming. Nobody knows what yet, though.
Precis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking "Hell yes~! Good riddance to them~" until I read that last part.
...They're going to keep ruining my Yu-Gi-Oh for another six years? D:
yojimboray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
All these anime and manga companies going under remind me of what's going on with the housing market in the U.S. Hopefully, the industry will be re-booted using a smarter, more sensible business model.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
People seem to forget that Toei is the one that called for many of One Piece's extreme edits.
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm shocked. Everything on the block this season has been reruns or cancelled series - save for Biker Mice, which I assume was a token gesture.
D Dubbs wrote:
FOX has stated that it will be something other than children's programming. Nobody knows what yet, though.
Boo to that. Another Saturday morning network cartoon lineup bites the dust. Despite its mediocrity, it's still sad to see. Ahoy, Fox News Saturday.
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
...the FOX affiliate in Manitoba no longers airs 4Kids related programming and is instead airing reruns of Saved by the Bell and Beakman's World.
If many other affiliates have been doing the same, that may have hastened their decision.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
After what 4kids did to One Piece and several other shows, this was bound to happen. Hopefully the employees are able to find new jobs elsewhere, I wouldn't wish for anyone to be unemployed in this bad economy.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:

4kids was the worst thing in general to happen to our scicioty,not only just ruining anime,but for ruining other tv networks in general,I hope they get kicked to the curve for buying out the CW

Worse than slavery? Worse than lynch mobs? Worse than the great depression? The World Wars? Vietnam? The Civil War? Degenerating education standards? Increasingly violent population of youth? The current economic crisis? Government corruption and waste?

Please keep a leash on your hyperbole. Placing 4kids on the same pedestal as the Jim Crow laws and Nazism gives the impression that your priorities need a little reconsideration.

As for myself, I won't miss them. There's a few things I'm glad they brought us, but for the most part, they've been a forgettable company as a whole.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Heh...funny that people think that 4Kids is dead. Because they're not.

They only thing that 'died' was one of their television blocks. They still have the CW4Kids, which gets better ratings than 4Kids TV. So, 4Kids just decided to pull the plug on the lower-rated block, because the blocks were competing against each other. If you actually read the article, 4Kids is happy that they're cutting their ties with Fox.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6