• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to End Its Fox Programming Block in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I understand the negative feeling about 4Kids that just absolutely drips from the thread over a number of their past dubbing and editing practices but the bigger picture is the loss of another animation block, thus lowering the choices for those who want to see good animated programming. Granted, most of the block is now either repeats or sequel series, but at least two shows should get a shot on CW, those being the new season of Chaotic and Di-gata Defenders. 4Kids has a stake in the Chaotic TCG so that will likely ensure that it will move to CW and Di-gata has more than 20 more eps to air, but that likely won't mean much to 4Kids since it's an acquisition. Biker Mice is new but I could live if it doesn't move, too.

The CW should lose a number of shows including Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, and the Chaotic reruns, but who knows? They even have new shows to make room for early next year including Huntik and Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. Plus, with a new season of Winx Club (and the movie) on the way, I'm not sure where they'll put it all. Obviously, some shows will disappear and given the past, we'll probably lose some of the better ones (Eon Kid, Monster Allergy, Cybersix).
Merina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Dude! i so used to watch Fox Box, but i'll have to tell you im not the least bit surprised here. Thanks to whats been happening the last couple months, lots of stuff like this is happening. I just hope it dosent happen to other shows. Anime dazed
Volaria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Primus"]
D Dubbs wrote:

I'm sure the North American Winx fanbase is like "WTF?" since apparently there is another season in the works, and they just lost their broadcaster, with The CW4Kids filled for likely a while.

Yes! I am a part of this North American Winx fanbase, and I'm worried about where it's going to air. :/ I'm also wondering if they're ever going to bring the movie over here, and how the whole issue will resolve itself.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I've seen some promotion from FUNImation, but so far, no merchandise yet(i did see a 18" statue of Ussop once in an anime store, but thats about it). I would totally buy anything they put out, as long as its reasonably priced of course. I think the show has to gain in popularity before we start to see some merchandise. One Piece seems kind of a joke right now, like it was bad before 4kids killed it.

Actually, I was referring to 4Kids, not FUNi.
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
Guess that means no official release for Japanese YGO for even longer then... T.T
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Good riddance to 4 Kids. I'm sure no one will miss them at all once they go away.

I work at 4Kids, on the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series (now in it's 8th season), and I'd like to say that I for one would miss the company if it went under, because I would miss having a job! Fortunately for all of us who work here, many of you are wrong in forecasting the company's untimely death.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Oh my God. The end might be nigh for 4kids. HALLELUJAH. Laughing

4Kids does a lot more than just anime – besides Turtles and Chaotic, they also produced Viva Pinata. We manage the licenses of a bunch of diverse properties, like Cabbage Patch Kids, some kind of monster truck thing, the American Kennel Club, and even the Royal Air Force (read the 4Kids web page).

In terms of anime, we're still working on DinoKing, Sonic, and YuGiOh. We also adapt Winxs Club.
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
And really, is it necessary to wish financial ruin on a company just because they didn't treat our anime properly?

Thank you! And thank you to the voices of sanity in the forum pointing out that 4Kids programming will now be on CW. (Also thanks to the people who like the DinoKing dub, even though I don't work on it myself.)

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wouldn't wish for anyone to be unemployed in this bad economy.

Thank you!!

Justy wrote:
The CW should lose a number of shows including Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, and the Chaotic reruns, but who knows?

Anime cry There's new episodes of Turtles on CW right now! I'm still making them…
Lunarose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
That was a shocker for me. I don't know why, but... I'm actually kind of sad now.

When I was very young, we didn't have that many channels to browse from. Foxbox became one of my sole sources of cartoons when I was much younger, and I learned to accept anime from that (Dude, do you remember Fighting Foodons? Man. Those creepy flying omelette... things.). I watched as the whole thing turned from Foxbox to Foxkids (Or something like that) and seeing it eventually progressing into 4kids. I'd been really into shows like Winx Club and Cubix and, oh my gosh, do you remember Metabots? Anime smile The good ol' days. I will miss watching TMNT on Fox (You go, April! Show Casey who's boss! And Raphael, you better be uke to Donatello... am I going to far?)

Of course, this proves that either the economy really is failing us, or that the bad dubbing is starting to catch up with 'em (LET'S DUEL!). I'll be optimistic and say the former. I'll miss ya!

(Oh, and I don't hold the dubbing against 4kids at all, but I have to admit, One Piece did make me a bit nauseous at times... Poison darts? What?)
jhuhn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess their relationship with FOX broke up because Mew Mew Power wasn't even dubbed entirely. Only the first half of the series.

I think 4Kids should reconsider to bring it back in 2009 and begin dubbing the other 26 episodes to air on the CW network.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. 4Kids did a pretty decent job on Poke'mon but the rest.. Ergh.. I really dont care what happens to them at this point. I care about good quality kid programs to return to the TV (regardless of what country they're from) for the sake of the future generation.

I mean, growing up in the 90s, I feel fortunate enough to watch so many cartoons/children programs that really defined what it meant to watch Saturday morning and weekday afternoon blocks. =_= Something weird happened when I was in high school. Nick and Cartoon Network put an end to a lot of the shows that they're known for. Jetix and Toon Disney popped up as bonus channels (which they air old school stuff and not everyone can watch them). Fox and WB changed everything. I think it all started when Nelvana decided to dub Cardcaptor Sakura.... (Mew Mew Power was very reminiscent of that.)

Edit: Medabots was probably one of the better dubs that I've seen that came out of Fox...right along with Digimon series... ;__;
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote]I guess their relationship with FOX broke up because Mew Mew Power wasn't even dubbed entirely. Only the first half of the series.

I think 4Kids should reconsider to bring it back in 2009 and begin dubbing the other 26 episodes to air on the CW network.[/quote]

4Kids didn't just stop the show. I asked them though e-mail and they said that they LOST the rights to the show. Not only did they never dub the 2nd half of the series, they told me that they're not even allowed to air the first 26 Mew Mew episodes they dubbed on TV.

When I asked what were the odds of them ever getting the rights back, they said that it was slim to none.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Not susprised it happened. It sucked when toonami went belly hop but not this time. I never liked fansubs and illegal streaming sites for partly causing the bad time for the US industry but in this case i'll make an exception.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:

When I was very young, we didn't have that many channels to browse from. Foxbox became one of my sole sources of cartoons when I was much younger, and I learned to accept anime from that (Dude, do you remember Fighting Foodons? Man. Those creepy flying omelette... things.). I watched as the whole thing turned from Foxbox to Foxkids (Or something like that) and seeing it eventually progressing into 4kids. I'd been really into shows like Winx Club and Cubix and, oh my gosh, do you remember Metabots? Anime smile The good ol' days. I will miss watching TMNT on Fox

I remember all those and other like Mon Colle Knights, but people will complain how much were changed from the original. Laughing
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
In all honesty, I think the block went downhill after 2000. Their treatment of Cybersix and Vision of Escaflowne still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day.

Cybersix was a crappy version of the comic strip/book anyway, and the blame lies with the Canadian/Japanese studios that made it, not 4Kids TV.

Viga_of_stars wrote:
So will Fox stop having Saturday morning cartoons after 4kids TV is gone? Since around 2003 more channels got out of afternoon and Saturday animated programming. Saturday morning cartoons and anime are now a relic of my childhood.

Not on CBC, it isn't: CBC still has a Saturday morning block of shows, all quite good and all Canadian. Take some comfort in that.

samuelp wrote:
Well I hope everyone is happy. They got their wish, 4kids tv (at least the part that was on Fox) is now totally gone.

It only took a near crippling financial meltdown and the prospect of one of the worst recession's in modern US history! Small price to pay, indeed...

Exaggerate much? FOX is still there, and so will what's left of Saturday morning. Financial meltdown affecting 4Kids TV, my black ass! Nonsense...unfortunately.

As has been said before, it's the loss of an animation programming block (aside from the over-rated primetime block on FOX) that people should be worried about. In Canada, YTV, and Teletoon are fine, but not everybody like the homegrown stuff on those channels (I do, just a little bit), and most people want to see anime.

What pisses me off most of all is the possible end to Spectacular Spider-Man that will result because of CW4Kids, and the end of Kids WB, which was to be frank a hell of a lot better than the mediocre 4Kids TV to begin with (with shows like The New Batman-Superman Adventures, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project, Men In Black, X-Men:Evolution, The Mummy-Secrets of The Medji, The Batman, Teen Titans, Justice League, Legion Of Superheroes, etc.) That was a great block that should still be on, with new additions like Ben 10, Ben 10: Alien Force and Batman: The Brave & The Bold (not my cup of tea, but....) Oh well, I, and most of you, will still have our memories of what used to be.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:

What pisses me off most of all is the possible end to Spectacular Spider-Man that will result because of CW4Kids, and the end of Kids WB, which was to be frank a hell of a lot better than the mediocre 4Kids TV to begin with (with shows like The New Batman-Superman Adventures, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project, Men In Black, X-Men:Evolution, The Mummy-Secrets of The Medji, The Batman, Teen Titans, Justice League, Legion Of Superheroes, etc.) That was a great block that should still be on, with new additions like Ben 10, Ben 10: Alien Force and Batman: The Brave & The Bold (not my cup of tea, but....) Oh well, I, and most of you, will still have our memories of what used to be.

Geez, keep those feryerself. This is an anime site, donchaknow! Nobody will admit to those! Laughing
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:

Not on CBC, it isn't: CBC still has a Saturday morning block of shows, all quite good and all Canadian. Take some comfort in that.

The Outlet is a joke. It picks up one new show a season, with the rest of the block being repeats of shows from previous years. It's been like that ever since the block got off weekdays, and started to have a identity crisis, changing from The X, to The Void, and now The Outlet... And even then, most of the time they were picking up gems such as the Korean-Canadian Love child Magi-Nation Rolling Eyes

It's great that the only Canadian Network children's block consists mostly of repeats. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6