• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Akira Film's Production Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Haazaa about time some thing good happens to this crappy movie
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
This is good news.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's probably for the best if this project shuts down. I'm in favour of these live action adaptations generally but this specific project has an absolutely horrid stink about it.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about wether this film was going to be a go or not. But after reading this article, it look like it'll be a no-go.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. The original film and manga would have survived quite unmolested by the existence of a live-action adaptation that nobody would have been obligated to watch. The worst we might have had to endure is some re-issues with tacky, "now a major motion picture," labels on them. I hate those, but it's hardly enough to justify railing against this so vociferously.

A successful live-action adaptation of Akira might help to promote the animated film and manga, perhaps even anime and manga generally. Even if it were not to, as I admit would likely be the case, I cannot imagine that it would do any meaningful harm to anything but the obnoxiously juvenile psyches of some unpleasantly vocal people on the internet.

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that any those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

I do agree with your post. Well at least Akira is put away for a while. I was a little concerned with the casting and even if they did make a movie inspired by Akira, it would still get flak. To answer your question, well many reason as in attachment, changes that don't make any sense, and the one that piss me off: pro-asian/pro-Japanese supremacist trolling. This is just like how people complain when US remake Japanese (or Asian) film, but yet they don't complain about when Asia remake American film like this one for example. I've never heard any complaint from the same group of people that yap about American remaking Asian film making complaints about Japan or Asia remaking American film, they either keep quiet or sometime praise Asia for remaking American film (and they will bash the original American film).

bradc wrote:
Tons of comic books and novels gets their own adaptation made and turn into a movie or saga. But for some reasons when it comes to Japan's Manga and Anime, it just doesn't work... Unless it present itself as an animated movie, anything by Hayao Miyazaki, or even the latest Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. Unless Japan does it themselves, Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action seemingly speaking in volumes.

We all know what happened... Dragon Ball Evolution.

Any country can wreck a live-action movie based on anime/manga. Japan is no exception, ever seen the live-action Negima, yeah it was really bad and some of the cast didn't match what I wanted. Battle Royale 2 was heavily criticized and that live-action movie was made in Japan. The live-action Sailor Moon was OK, but can be sometime cheesy.

Shenl742
wrote:
Oh thank God. I thought I was the only one on the internet to have a non-biased, even-handed opinion on this thing.

Oh well, at least a lot of angry nerds have another excuse to touch themselves in vicarious self-satisfaction tonight.

you're not alone, I too am not bias. What disturb me is that each fandom has their hypocrites. Anime/manga are not an exception. People complain when US or any western countries do live-action movie based on anime/manga, but yet don't complaint when Japan/Asia do live-action movie based on anime/manga despite having seen some bad live-action adaptation coming out of Japan/Asia like that live-action Negima TV show. Same thing goes for video game fandom, people complain when video game get live-action adaptation, but never complaint when video game get novel adaptation, which just like live-action, they deviate from the game also. Example:

spoiler[ In the novel adaptation of Tom Clancy's Endwar, US Joint Strike Force and European Federation are allied where in the game (the novel was based on), they are enemies. The Forgotten Armies (in the game) was replaced by The Green Brigades, a eco-terrorist group which does not exist anywhere in the game at all.]

samuelp wrote:
Hollywood will look elsewhere for their next project instead of anime and manga. (Bollywood remakes the next big thing, maybe? )

Maybe, maybe not. Bollywood will still continue making movie, and maybe unauthorized remake of American (and other foreign films). Anyway, I don't know if Hollywood still has interest in remaking Japanese/Asian films, but the good news Hollywood gave back to Japan/Asia for remaking their film by letting them remake American film. Like Japan remade Sideways, Ghost, Japan is planning to remake An Affair to Remember, and Working Girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with you Surrender Artist, you pretty much articulated my exact thoughts on the matter. Very well put.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
tempest wrote:
Surrender Artist has it 100% right.

This is not a good thing folks. The North American anime industry isn't doing well. You just saw the results this week, BEI is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

Obviously there are a lot of things contributing the the poor health of the industry, but a big project like Akira, if it's any good, would bring a lot of good exposure to anime and manga. That exposure would lead to more sales. Obviously not everyone who likes the movie will decide to start buying anime DVDs and manga, but some people will.

A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

On the other hand, if the movie gets released and it's a crap, what's the downside ? Not much really. It just means that there's less chance of others being made.

There is a downside: A movie that is crap doesn't make money, and Hollywood will look elsewhere for their next project instead of anime and manga. (Bollywood remakes the next big thing, maybe? )

This has already happened to an extent with speed racer's "failure" (I put it in quotes because it did make a lot of money. Just not the expected level of money) and a couple other high profile ones.

Story butchering aside if the movie isn't good, that's not good for anime/manga.

I totally agree with this.

Not only do unsuccessful adaptations discourage movie producers from producing more adaptations in the future, but they bad impression they'll be left with also discourages new people from checking the source anime/manga as well as others.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, even though I'm still hoping for a decent anime/manga Hollywood adaptation, (c'mon Death Note!), I'm glad Akira is being shelved. It just didn't sound like it was going to be good. But I'm not against the idea of trying, just not Akira.

How about Hellsing? Anyone, anyone?
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

bradc wrote:
Tons of comic books and novels gets their own adaptation made and turn into a movie or saga. But for some reasons when it comes to Japan's Manga and Anime, it just doesn't work... Unless it present itself as an animated movie, anything by Hayao Miyazaki, or even the latest Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. Unless Japan does it themselves, Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action seemingly speaking in volumes.

Any country can wreck a live-action movie based on anime/manga. Japan is no exception, ever seen the live-action Negima, yeah it was really bad and some of the cast didn't match what I wanted. Battle Royale 2 was heavily criticized and that live-action movie was made in Japan. The live-action Sailor Moon was OK, but can be sometime cheesy.

There were several live action before...

Cutie Honey, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon... Battle Royale 1-2 didn't have any plot to it, just place a bunch of students on an island and commence the game of thrill, shills and kills in an adapt and survive environment; that movie itself couldn't be duplicated. Same Death Note and L: Change the World.

What you want? It's never about what said person wanted in the live-action movie because said cast of actors and actresses were already decided from the get-go or auditions. It is meant to be adapted with real people than 2D animation... Result of being 3D.

Last edited by bradc on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. [....]

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that any those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Oh thank God. I thought I was the only one on the internet to have a non-biased, even-handed opinion on this thing.

I agree with you guys.

Here, here!

I was slightly looking forward to this movie, despite the changes. I thought the original movie was decent (the animation being the best thing about it), but I was interested in seeing what this adaptation would cook up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I am glad this movie has been shut down for the time being,everything from the original script and casting(rumored) was just....NO how the hell can they do that? But what the hell is with the Dragon Ball Evolution and Speed Racer bashing in this topic/news story...

I liked both films though I liked Speed Racer more then DBE,yes Speed Racer had it's goofy moments but remember when Speed Racer was originally made in anime form, just like it's movie counterpart it had both serious and some silly moments(however the new Speed Racer Series is complete trash) as well...hell it even had a sub plot were their was a corrupt organization within the Racing World in the movie universe....one thing I've noticed is that movies that show a message of a dark side of corporations these days get's automatically claimed a piece of trash film....I don't know why.

Now with Dragon Ball Evolution, I like the film...I don't love it but I like it. Why do I like it? While some of the script and casting choices was a bit...odd,the film was an Alternate Universe to the main cannon which...Hell they even had a AU universe in DBZ where the Cell the heroes fought had killed Trunks from that Cell's time and Trunks killed the Cell in his time period but anyway I digress.

The fact is everybody keeps bashing it because mainly of one thing and that ticks me off to no end"GOKU IS NOT AMERICAN HE'S JAPANESE" THAT BASHING ON DBE NEEDS TO FREAKING STOP! Goku is neither Japanese or American....HE IS A DAMN ALIEN,WE ALL KNOW THIS...A ALIEN THAT LOOKS GOD DAMN HUMANOID AND NOTHING MORE so when ever somebody makes a Dragon Ball film Goku...depending on where the film was made....is a different nationality because HE IS AN FREAKING ALIEN...

Plus although some characters were given annoying stereotype personalities like....Yamcha....all the characters were treated fairly or an exact interpretation of the original work.....case in point MASTER ROSHI although Chow was an interesting Roshi his Character was kept THE EXACT SAME...a powerful Martial Artist who happened to be a perverted old man which was how he was portrayed in the movie and anime!

So yes alot in Dragon Ball Evolution was hit or miss ...it's not a terrible film,can't people just re watch it and give it a fair chance instead of pure fan boy rage?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yes, Negima live action was hilariously bad but something like Maria-sama ga Miteru live action was quite nice. Overall those bad adaptations are outweighed by the fact that they also regularly make successful and good TV and movie adaptions from manga and mostly from dramas, slice-of-life, something not so rooted in fantasy.

There, the environment is different. Manga is everywhere. Most people are already familiar with the popular ones. Bad adaptations don't discourage people away from the original material nor discourage producers from new adaptations, since there are, as mentioned many successful ones, not just in Japan but in other Asian countries as well (and the vast majority there like Taiwan being dramas/slice-of-life or similar)
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah, best news I've read all day!

btw, Kaibaman21, no, people bash Dragonball Evolution because it's an insult to the franchise and its fans in every way, shape and form. Many Japanese viewers were actually offended by it because they thought it was meant to make fun of Dragonball, and Akira Toriyama even said after viewing it that it turned out almost nothing like the source material and that everyone was better off saving their money for a better film. That and it's just really poorly-written with laughable special effects and characters who look and often act nothing like their in-series counterparts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

bradc wrote:

There were several live action before...

Cutie Honey, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon... Battle Royale 1-2 didn't have any plot to it, just place a bunch of students on an island and commence the game of thrill, shills and kills in an adapt and survive environment; that movie itself couldn't be duplicated. Same Death Note and L: Change the World.

Yes I'm aware of those, I'm just lazy to mention those or I haven't watch some of those live action movie to give my opinion. But anyway, no matter what country the live-action anime/manga movie is made, it'll either a hit or a miss.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The hit to miss ratio seems to be skewed in favor of the country where the work originates from. I've seen some good Comic book/cartoon live-action movies done by Hollywood and some bad ones. I've seen some good anime/manga live action movies done in Japan and I've seen some bad ones. I have yet to see a good anime/manga live action movie from Hollywood or any comic book live action movie that was made in Japan.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8