• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Akira Film's Production Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
mdo7,
Quote:
I do agree with your post. Well at least Akira is put away for a while. I was a little concerned with the casting and even if they did make a movie inspired by Akira, it would still get flak. To answer your question, well many reason as in attachment, changes that don't make any sense, and the one that piss me off: pro-asian/pro-Japanese supremacist trolling. This is just like how people complain when US remake Japanese (or Asian) film, but yet they don't complain about when Asia remake American film like this one for example. I've never heard any complaint from the same group of people that yap about American remaking Asian film making complaints about Japan or Asia remaking American film, they either keep quiet or sometime praise Asia for remaking American film (and they will bash the original American film).

Why are you using arguments that I have already debunked before when we engaged in a discussion more than a month ago?

Here is that thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1641444#1641444

I have corrected your erroneous arguments as it can be clearly seen there but you come a month later and post the same erroneous arguments as if no one will notice.

Acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them. Otherwise you are being childish.

Oh And to Kibaman21 who wrote this:

Quote:
The fact is everybody keeps bashing it because mainly of one thing and that ticks me off to no end"GOKU IS NOT AMERICAN HE'S JAPANESE" THAT BASHING ON DBE NEEDS TO FREAKING STOP! Goku is neither Japanese or American....HE IS A DAMN ALIEN,WE ALL KNOW THIS...A ALIEN THAT LOOKS GOD DAMN HUMANOID AND NOTHING MORE so when ever somebody makes a Dragon Ball film Goku...depending on where the film was made....is a different nationality because HE IS AN FREAKING ALIEN...

I'm sorry but that isn't a good enough argument to justify the white wash casting of Dragon Ball Evolution. Superman is also an Alien but has always been played by white men. Goku is an alien but is meant to look like an Asian man no different how Superman is an alien but is meant to look like a white man. Goku should have and should be played by an actor of Asian decent.

Last edited by LargeView on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
LargeView wrote:
mdo7,
Quote:
I do agree with your post. Well at least Akira is put away for a while. I was a little concerned with the casting and even if they did make a movie inspired by Akira, it would still get flak. To answer your question, well many reason as in attachment, changes that don't make any sense, and the one that piss me off: pro-asian/pro-Japanese supremacist trolling. This is just like how people complain when US remake Japanese (or Asian) film, but yet they don't complain about when Asia remake American film like this one for example. I've never heard any complaint from the same group of people that yap about American remaking Asian film making complaints about Japan or Asia remaking American film, they either keep quiet or sometime praise Asia for remaking American film (and they will bash the original American film).

Why are you using arguments that I have already debunked before when we engaged in a discussion more than a month ago?

Here is that thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1641444#1641444

I have corrected your erroneous arguments as it can be clearly seen there but you come a month later and post the same erroneous arguments as if no one will notice.

Acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them. Otherwise you are being childish.[/u]

Because I like to point that out. If you don't like my view that's fine but don't take your previous argument and put it here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because I like to point that out. If you don't like my view that's fine but don't take your previous argument and put it here.

You do realize that is exactly what you did here, right? You took "your previous argument and put it here"?

The difference is though, you were wrong and I corrected you.

Repeating it again doesn't make it right. It's still wrong.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry but that isn't a good enough argument to justify the white wash casting of Dragon Ball Evolution. Superman is also an Alien but has always been played by white men. Goku is an alien but is meant to look like an Asian man no different how Superman is an alien but is meant to look like a white man. Goku should have and should be played by an actor of Asian decent.

No I agreed with Kibaman 21, Goku is from an alien planet. How do you know if he should be cast Asian or white? It didn't say what outlook he is in the anime or the manga. So you accuise Hollywood of whitewash. I recall you said that the Hollywood version of Starship Troopers they whitewash Johnny Rico (well in the movie, he's Argentine when in the novel he's Fillipino). Are you going to accuse of Japan of doing this also, because did you know the 1988 anime OVA had Johnny Rico being a blonde argentine (just like in the movie) also and this predate the Hollywood version, so shouldn't you accuse the Japanese of doing the same thing. Oh and do you know Toho's Matango or Attack of the Mushroom people. That movie was based on a western novel and instead of caucasian, they've been replaced with Japanese people, so wouldn't that be whitewashing or should I say "yellow"washing, according to your logic.

What about this news of baseball manga getting an anime with a joint co-production of India, they're changing baseball into cricket for the anime. They're also move setting from Japan to India, so according to your logic, this would be whitewashing, right?? I believe one person joke about "brownwashing" on the talkback section.

What about Akira Kurosawa's film like Ran which is a adapted version of King Lear, wouldn't this be your definition of whitewash? What about Throne of blood, which is based on Macbeth, isn't this whitewash according to your logic??

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This isn't about opinions. This isn't like if we were disagreeing about a certain movie. You wrote comments that you thought were facts but were in fact incorrect and I have corrected them.

You repeated them again as if they were still correct and I am sorry to say that a month later those comments are still wrong.

Again, acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
LargeView wrote:
This isn't about opinions. This isn't like if we were disagreeing about a certain movie. You wrote comments that you thought were facts but were in fact incorrect and I have corrected them.

You repeated them again as if they were still correct and I am sorry to say that a month later those comments are still wrong.

Again, acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them.

Oh, I just made changes to my comment (above your post), check it again. I don't know if you are aware of this.
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No I agreed with Kibaman 21

Don't know why you write, "No I agreed" as if that section was still in reference to you. I changed who I was directing my comments to. The second half wasn't to you so "No I agreed" makes no sense.

Quote:
Goku is from an alien planet. How do you know if he should be cast Asian or white? It didn't say what outlook he is in the anime or the manga.

Yes, it does. Dragon Ball was made by a Japanese for a primarly an Asian audience that was initially based on a Chinese legend. Why all of this and mean for it to be that Goku is white? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, Goku as an adult is confirmed by Toriyama himself to be 5'7.

Source: http://www.absoluteanime.com/dragon_ball/goku.htm

It's not a coincidence that 5'7 is also the average height of a Japanese adult male.

Source: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-chart.shtml

Just like how Superman is an alien who just happens to look white, Goku is an alien that just happens to look Asian.

Quote:
So you accuise Hollywood of whitewash. I recall you said that the Hollywood version of Starship Troopers they whitewash Johnny Rico (well in the movie, he's Argentine when in the novel he's Fillipino). Are you going to accuse of Japan of doing this also, because did you know the 1988 anime OVA had Johnny Rico being a blonde argentine (just like in the movie) also and this predate the Hollywood version, so shouldn't you accuse the Japanese of doing the same thing.

I'm not familiar with the 1988 OVA. However, if it is true what you say about Rico being portrayed as blonde in that OVA it might not actually mean the same thing because anime operates under a different mindset then the West. In anime, they have characters that are identified as Japanese however they may have have red, yellow, orange, purple, etc... hair and it doesn't change the fact they are meant to be Asian.

As far as your other examples of supposed "yellow washing", these all fall under the same mistaken perspective you had before in the previous thread where I replied to you when you brought up the Toei live action Spider-Man show. I corrected you on that. Here is a link to it: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1644249#1644249

What I wrote there also applies for what you wrote here as well as other points I made elsewhere in that post of mine.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
LargeView wrote:

Quote:
So you accuise Hollywood of whitewash. I recall you said that the Hollywood version of Starship Troopers they whitewash Johnny Rico (well in the movie, he's Argentine when in the novel he's Fillipino). Are you going to accuse of Japan of doing this also, because did you know the 1988 anime OVA had Johnny Rico being a blonde argentine (just like in the movie) also and this predate the Hollywood version, so shouldn't you accuse the Japanese of doing the same thing.

I'm not familiar with the 1988 OVA. However, if it is true what you say about Rico being portrayed as blonde in that OVA it might not actually mean the same thing because anime operates under a different mindset then the West. In anime, they have characters that are identified as Japanese however they may have have red, yellow, orange, purple, etc... hair and it doesn't change the fact they are meant to be Asian.

As far as your other examples of supposed "yellow washing", these all fall under the same mistaken perspective you had before in the previous thread where I replied to you when you brought up the Toei live action Spider-Man show. I corrected you on that. Here is a link to it: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1644249#1644249

What I wrote there also applies for what you wrote here as well as other points I made elsewhere in that post of mine.

You accuse Hollywood of changing Johnny Rico from Fillipino to Latin American but Japan did the same thing for the 1988 OVA, how is it a different mindset? Although I praise the OVA for being more faithful to the novel then the Hollywood version (which without it, we wouldn't have Starcraft and Halo which these 2 was inspired by the movie version of Starship Troopers). What made me angry from you is that you're angry when Hollywood whitewash Asian stuff but yet how is casting a Japanese actor playing Spiderman any different, to me it's no different. Replacing Asian character with white actors (Akira) is no different from replacing white character with Asian actors (Matango, Spider-man). What is the difference between these 2. You know what Long View, after seeing you not getting it, I think you're a hypocrite. You bash Hollywood for whitewashing Asians character but yet it's OK for Asia to replace white people with Asians.

FYI: Did you know Toshiro Mifune played a Mexican in a 1962 film, I'm not lying, it really happen.
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Quote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. The original film and manga would have survived quite unmolested by the existence of a live-action adaptation that nobody would have been obligated to watch. The worst we might have had to endure is some re-issues with tacky, "now a major motion picture," labels on them. I hate those, but it's hardly enough to justify railing against this so vociferously.

A successful live-action adaptation of Akira might help to promote the animated film and manga, perhaps even anime and manga generally. Even if it were not to, as I admit would likely be the case, I cannot imagine that it would do any meaningful harm to anything but the obnoxiously juvenile psyches of some unpleasantly vocal people on the internet.

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that and those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

tempest wrote:

Quote:
Surrender Artist has it 100% right.

This is not a good thing folks. The North American anime industry isn't doing well. You just saw the results this week, BEI is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

Obviously there are a lot of things contributing the the poor health of the industry, but a big project like Akira, if it's any good, would bring a lot of good exposure to anime and manga. That exposure would lead to more sales. Obviously not everyone who likes the movie will decide to start buying anime DVDs and manga, but some people will.

A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

On the other hand, if the movie gets released and it's a crap, what's the downside ? Not much really. It just means that there's less chance of others being made.

It speaks many unfortunate volumes that the majority of the people in this thread expressed that they felt both Surrender Artist and tempest were right in their posts. They are not. They are mistaken, myopic and misguided.

The reason is not related to the anime business but the discriminatory casting practices that this production is running on that neither Surrender Artist nor tempest acknowledge. Whatever their motivation is for failing to acknowledge that fact I do not know but I will bring it up because it is imperative and THE chief issue.

Hollywood has practiced for many, many years (almost since its inception) discrimination in its casting against nonwhite actors that sadly continues to this day. It is statistically proven that nonwhite actors are being limited in the roles they can play and white are preferred for lead roles by the Hollywood top dogs. So much so that there could even be legal grounds for a lawsuit according to Russell Robinson, professor of law at UCLA, because of the blatant discrimination practices that Hollywood operates on.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117954779

As that article notes, whites are casted 82% of the time for lead roles.

If one wants to measure that against population, consider that the U.S. is, based on the last census, 63.7% white. If one wants to measure that against ticket buyers, well only 56% of them are white according to the MPAA: http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/93bbeb16-0e4d-4b7e-b085-3f41c459f9ac.pdf

There is no doubt about it. Hollywood head honchos are racist and the facts prove it as nonwhite actors have been and continue to be marginalized in favor of white actors.

The United States is a multicultural nation. Regardless of whether or not the Hollywood adaptation of Akira is set in Tokyo or New York does not in any way change the fact that Asian Americans can and should play Kaneda and Tetsuo as Manhattan is a very multicultural borough in New York and many people of Asian decent live there. In fact, New York's Chinatown can be found in Manhattan.

This movie being made with this kind of casting in place (i.e. whites as the leads) will only continue to limit the talent of Asian American actors that don't get the opportunities that white actors do and will keep the negative image up for nonwhites in Western media where whites are portrayed as multi-layered, interesting, attractive, intelligent, heroic, and many other positive qualities while also being the main characters in stories. While on the other hand nonwhites largely get portrayed as stereotypes and no more than sidekicks to whites.

If the movie is to be made with whites as the leads it must not be made for if the movie turns out to be a box office success it will serve as a way to justify the racist casting that Warner Bros. did. And that will only serve to push back what little progress has been made in this area.
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
You accuse Hollywood of changing Johnny Rico from Fillipino to Latin American but Japan did the same thing for the 1988 OVA, how is it a different mindset?

I already explained why in my post. And I also said "it might not" since I haven't seen it for myself.

You need to read better.

Quote:
What made me angry from you is that you're angry when Hollywood whitewash Asian stuff but yet how is casting a Japanese actor playing Spiderman any different, to me it's no different. Replacing Asian character with white actors (Akira) is no different from replacing white character with Asian actors (Matango, Spider-man). What is the difference between these 2.

This was already explained in the post I linked to which was of the thread where you and I had our previous debate.

Quote:
FYI: Did you know Toshiro Mifune played a Mexican in a 1962 film, I'm not lying, it really happen.

No, I didn't know. However I don't see what relevance that has to your argument seeing how that was a Mexican production.

Last edited by LargeView on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
LargeView wrote:
It speaks many unfortunate volumes that the majority of the people in this thread expressed that they felt both Surrender Artist and tempest were right in their posts. They are not. They are mistaken, myopic and misguided.

And you and your obsessive approach to single issue that had not really been part of or motivated this argument before you blasted it in are tedious, obnoxious and intractable and insulting adjective and insulting adjective and insulting adjective... The way you're doing this is never going to accomplish anything; it feels like there's no kind of empathy for the people whom you're ostensibly trying to persuade and thus either just a robotic act or crusade to display your own righteousness. You almost come across like those people who talk about birth certificates every time anybody even mutters the syllables o-ba-ma. And that's not a comment about correctness, but about manner. You don't feel like part of a conversation, but like somebody who wanders around with a chip on his shoulder looking for soapboxes to shout too-well rehearsed tirades from. It makes your arguments seem inaccessible and impossible to meaningfully engage.

I deliberately excluded any consideration of the race of the actors from my post because I believed that the motivation of most of the complaints would be about the quality of the film and how it could somehow ruin Akira, with invocations whitewashing being insincere; merely for rhetorical convenience and not really motivating the complaints. It seems rather loudly unlikely that this applies to you. I am undecided on the subject myself, although I think it would be cool if they were to use a predominantly Asian cast.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the racist casting for the Hollywood Akira movie had not been "part of or motivated this argument" is the point of my reply because that is biggest problem with it as it is another episode of a larger issue that you either are ignoring or don't realize.

Also, "mistaken, myopic and misguided" are not insults to you or tempest personally. This is only in regards to the topic at hand.

"Mistaken" and "misguided" because you both argue that this movie being made would be a good thing.

"Myopic" because your argument is limited in scope as it does not acknowledge the racist casting practices.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
LargeView wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Quote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. The original film and manga would have survived quite unmolested by the existence of a live-action adaptation that nobody would have been obligated to watch. The worst we might have had to endure is some re-issues with tacky, "now a major motion picture," labels on them. I hate those, but it's hardly enough to justify railing against this so vociferously.

A successful live-action adaptation of Akira might help to promote the animated film and manga, perhaps even anime and manga generally. Even if it were not to, as I admit would likely be the case, I cannot imagine that it would do any meaningful harm to anything but the obnoxiously juvenile psyches of some unpleasantly vocal people on the internet.

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that and those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

tempest wrote:

Quote:
Surrender Artist has it 100% right.

This is not a good thing folks. The North American anime industry isn't doing well. You just saw the results this week, BEI is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

Obviously there are a lot of things contributing the the poor health of the industry, but a big project like Akira, if it's any good, would bring a lot of good exposure to anime and manga. That exposure would lead to more sales. Obviously not everyone who likes the movie will decide to start buying anime DVDs and manga, but some people will.

A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

On the other hand, if the movie gets released and it's a crap, what's the downside ? Not much really. It just means that there's less chance of others being made.

The reason is not related to the anime business but the discriminatory casting practices that this production is running on that neither Surrender Artist nor tempest acknowledge. Whatever their motivation is for failing to acknowledge that fact I do not know but I will bring it up because it is imperative and THE chief issue.

Hollywood has practiced for many, many years (almost since its inception) discrimination in its casting against nonwhite actors that sadly continues to this day. It is statistically proven that nonwhite actors are being limited in the roles they can play and white are preferred for lead roles by the Hollywood top dogs. So much so that there could even be legal grounds for a lawsuit according to Russell Robinson, professor of law at UCLA, because of the blatant discrimination practices that Hollywood operates on.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117954779

As that article notes, whites are casted 82% of the time for lead roles.

If one wants to measure that against population, consider that the U.S. is, based on the last census, 63.7% white. If one wants to measure that against ticket buyers, well only 56% of them are white according to the MPAA: http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/93bbeb16-0e4d-4b7e-b085-3f41c459f9ac.pdf

There is no doubt about it. Hollywood head honchos are racist and the facts prove it as nonwhite actors have been and continue to be marginalized in favor of white actors.

The United States is a multicultural nation. Regardless of whether or not the Hollywood adaptation of Akira is set in Tokyo or New York does not in any way change the fact that Asian Americans can and should play Kaneda and Tetsuo as Manhattan is a very multicultural borough in New York and many people of Asian decent live there. In fact, New York's Chinatown can be found in Manhattan.

This movie being made with this kind of casting in place (i.e. whites as the leads) will only continue to limit the talent of Asian American actors that don't get the opportunities that white actors do and will keep the negative image up for nonwhites in Western media where whites are portrayed as multi-layered, interesting, attractive, intelligent, heroic, and many other positive qualities while also being the main characters in stories. While on the other hand nonwhites largely get portrayed as stereotypes and no more than sidekicks to whites.

If the movie is to be made with whites as the leads it must not be made for if the movie turns out to be a box office success it will serve as a way to justify the racist casting that Warner Bros. did. And that will only serve to push back what little progress has been made in this area.

You're freaking me out with these paranoid thought. There's already Asian portray in positive way (I'll agree there were some bad casting like the Last Airbender). Ever watch The joy Luck Club, that film show Asian in a positive manner. What about other movie like:

Rush Hour
The Corruptor
and the 1961 version of Flower Drum Song which had all Asian cast not white people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Drum_Song_(film)

Hollywood is not all racist, if they were then Boyz n the Hood would not have black people in it, and Warner Bros produced Enter the Dragon and it had an Asian in it, and the cast are diverse. The only one that is racist is you!!! If Hollywood is racist, then is Resident Evil racist because Resident 4 was accused of being anti-spanish and Resident Evil 5 has been blast by many African American of being racist. Resident Evil is made in Japan, BTW. You're no different from people that accused racism on stupid thing. Also, as I notice from your post, you defend casting Asian actors to play Caucasian characters, so you're pulling double standard.

Quote:
I already explained why in my post. And I also said "it might be" since I haven't seen it for myself.

You need to read better.

I think you need to reread your post, you didn't say "it might be" you said "it might not actually mean the same thing because anime operates under a different mindset then the West". Again you're pulling stuff just to throw in your rethorics.

Quote:
This was already explained in the post I linked to which was of the thread where you and I had our previous debate.

I did a lot of them have things that doesn't make sense and some double standard, and contradiction.

Quote:

No, I didn't know. However I don't see what relevance that has to your argument seeing how that was a Mexican production.

You're doing it again, you accuse Hollywood of whitewashing but it's OK for Japanese to play a Mexican. Just like how you give a thumbs up for Spiderman played by a Japanese actor.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
LargeView wrote:

And you and your obsessive approach to single issue that had not really been part of or motivated this argument before you blasted it in are tedious, obnoxious and intractable and insulting adjective and insulting adjective and insulting adjective... The way you're doing this is never going to accomplish anything; it feels like there's no kind of empathy for the people whom you're ostensibly trying to persuade and thus either just a robotic act or crusade to display your own righteousness. You almost come across like those people who talk about birth certificates every time anybody even mutters the syllables o-ba-ma. And that's not a comment about correctness, but about manner. You don't feel like part of a conversation, but like somebody who wanders around with a chip on his shoulder looking for soapboxes to shout too-well rehearsed tirades from. It makes your arguments seem inaccessible and impossible to meaningfully engage.

Be careful Surrender Artist, Longview and I had a long debate in a previous post about Akira and I think he's a pro-Asian supremacist, and he said Spiderman played by a Japanese is justified but yet has problem with white actor playing as an Asian character.
LargeView

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Be careful Surrender Artist, Longview and I had a long debate in a previous post about Akira and I think he's a pro-Asian supremacist, and he said Spiderman played by a Japanese is justified but yet has problem with white actor playing as an Asian character.

"Pro-Asian supremacist"? Despite the fact that I talk about all people that are not white, not just Asians, that are being marginalized in Hollywood?

Also, I find it amusing that you use the same link I did before of the previous thread in your reply to Surrender Artist. Not only did I mention that thread proving that I corrected you in it but you must think people have just as bad as a reading comprehension issue as you do because anyone with two eyes can see that I answered all of your comments, put your erroneous arguments in their places and you were the one who were left simply ignoring points and stubbornly posting the same incorrect rhetoric. Look no further than this reply here as proof. You bring up your bad Spider-Man argument again and completely fail to acknowledge me debunking in that thread as well as in this thread when you mention it again.

By the way, can you definitively prove that the picture of the person in the facebook profile you claim is you is actually you, an Asian person like you claimed?

Quote:
You're freaking me out with these paranoid thought.

Note the facts that I brought up in that post that you don't even acknowledge. This is becoming a pattern with you I notice. You ignore evidence and continue on with your bad and already disproven arguments.

Quote:
There's already Asian portray in positive way

Very, very little and even fewer than are not stereotypes and even less that get to play leads in Hollywood movies.

Quote:
Ever watch The joy Luck Club, that film show Asian in a positive manner.

Not a good example to use. That movie is quite controversial among Asian Americans. Examples:

Link 1: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=hb-jKArjedIC&oi=fnd&pg=PA133&dq=%22Chin%22+%22Come+All+Ye+Asian+American+Writers+of+the+Real+and+the+Fake%27%22+&ots=Tt8RO6Yjry&sig=DjQdMU0-PMJiqk8894oVEx3aDhg#v=onepage&q=%22Chin%22%20%22Come%20All%20Ye%20Asian%20American%20Writers%20of%20the%20Real%20and%20the%20Fake%27%22&f=false

Link 2: http://www.eskimo.com/~webguy/writings/joysucks.html

Quote:
Rush Hour
The Corruptor
and the 1961 version of Flower Drum Song which had all Asian cast not white people

Without going into particulars of each of those movies (e.g. Jackie Chan has gone on record saying he doesn't like the Rush Hour movies) only one film from your list has Asian Americans as the lead in a Hollywood movie. And that was a movie made in 1961!

Anyone would be able to see that this is evidence of Hollywood not giving fair treatment to Asian American actors like white talents get. The fact you submitted that as supposed evidence to claim there isn't any racism in Hollywood says how ignorant you are on this issue.

Quote:
if they were then Boyz n the Hood would not have black people in it,

Boyz N The Hood was a low budget movie written and directed by a black man about the ghettos. Hardly evidence to show that Hollywood isn't racist especially since in it is in the frame work of the kinds of stereotypes Hollywood limits black actors to (i.e. gang-bangers).

Quote:
and Warner Bros produced Enter the Dragon and it had an Asian in it, and the cast are diverse.

It seems you are not aware of how Warner Bros. screwed Bruce Lee over when it came time to produce the Kung Fu series. Lee, who helped develop the show, was passed on for the lead and the role was given to David Carradine.

Quote:
If Hollywood is racist, then is Resident Evil racist because Resident 4 was accused of being anti-spanish and Resident Evil 5 has been blast by many African American of being racist. Resident Evil is made in Japan, BTW. You're no different from people that accused racism on stupid thing.

I have no idea what you are on about here.

Quote:
Also, as I notice from your post, you defend casting Asian actors to play Caucasian characters, so you're pulling double standard.

If you are talking about the Spider-Man thing again, this has to be about the third time in this thread that I have pointed out that I have already explained this to you in the previous thread that I linked to which is at least a month old.

You keep bringing this up as if you haven't been corrected on this.

Quote:
I think you need to reread your post, you didn't say "it might be" you said "it might not actually mean the same thing because anime operates under a different mindset then the West". Again you're pulling stuff just to throw in your rethorics.

That was a mistake when I first typed it. I since re-edited the post. Now re-read it again because my point there still stands.

Quote:
I did a lot of them have things that doesn't make sense and some double standard, and contradiction.

Unless you actually reply to it and prove what you are talking about then a reply like this means nothing. Let me point out that in that thread you completely ignored my points and just started to reply in general and repeat again certain things that have already been debunked. This means you cannot bring yourself to admit when you are wrong and just choose to argue just to argue. That's quite immature as well as not being connected to reality.

Quote:
You're doing it again, you accuse Hollywood of whitewashing but it's OK for Japanese to play a Mexican. Just like how you give a thumbs up for Spiderman played by a Japanese actor.

What am I doing again? All of your misguided rants are talking about how Asians "yellow wash" white characters but the movie you brought up with Mifune was not an Asian movie, it was a Mexican one. Therefore, as I said, it has no relevance to your argument.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8