• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Borders 20% off

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
I just went to Borders today, and apparently August 13-15 they will be having a 20% off sale on books, DVDs, and music when you present your high school or college ID.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:18 am Reply with quote
Wow! For real? Looks like it's back to school anime and manga shopping for me Anime hyper . Just out of curiosity do you have a link or something that I could go and check this out on? Thanks in advance.

~LoneWolf
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:54 am Reply with quote
Link

Only prob is it's 15% of DVDs, and it says it excludes comics, which is I'm sure the category that they would lump manga into. Other than that books, music, and stuff bought in the cafe is 20% off.
Lucca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:53 am Reply with quote
Manga would probably be considered "Graphic Novel".
Comics, from what I've been able to gather of the Bookstore's definition, would be those magazine-looking less-than-100-pages books that usually cost less than $5 anyhow.

I remember the last time Waldenbooks did such a sale, and I got some American Comics (Winter, which is HUGE, and Kabuki) which were under the discount.

Of course, for Borders, I could be wrong. But manga is more than likely covered under the discount. Usually the books are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Lucca wrote:
Of course, for Borders, I could be wrong. But manga is more than likely covered under the discount. Usually the books are.

They're the same store. Walden is the mall version of Boarders just like B. Dalton is the mall version of Barnes and Noble.

They define manga graphic novels as paperbacks BTW.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lucca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
They're the same store. Walden is the mall version of Boarders just like B. Dalton is the mall version of Barnes and Noble.

Ahh... I thought it was the other way around ^^;
Then again, there's at least 10 major bookstore Chains in my area, so it's easy to get confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
Lucca wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Ahh... I thought it was the other way around ^^;
Then again, there's at least 10 major bookstore Chains in my area, so it's easy to get confused.

Borders and Walden actually have a really unusual history including a period where they were owned by Kmart ('94-95), and now a partnership with Amazon.com. The current parent company is known as Borders Group (apparently that's the name Kmart gave them).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ah... the confusion ._. So all in all... mangas are valid for the 20% off student discount sale, ne?

Edit: And yes they are Anime smile Just got an email reply back, and they are "happy to say that graphic novels are classified as books and not comics, so they qualify for the discount". So yay Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1