• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Most Notable) of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Lisa Ortiz as Echidna

Now that you mention it, I've gotta agree on that being the best. Kari Wahlgren's Celty was good, but it didn't really stand out like Ortiz's Echidna did.

And wth @ no mention of Mawaru Penguindrum in Unlicensed Gems. That should have been the first pick by far. Ben-To was pretty great, too, though, so I don't really have a problem with that, but AnoHana was too much a typical drama for me to think it stands out amongst the scores of others we get in anime.

I also find it funny how Theron said:
Quote:
How weak was this year compared to last?

but later noted that he pretty much didn't watch some of the best stuff, Steins;Gate especially.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's nowhere near as bad as BLOOD-C was, although I guess that series wasn't eligible for contention. Somehow. I mean, it was simulcasted, so all I can is that it was an oversight.

Fractale was bad, but BLOOD-C is the show that people will refer to when searching for a modern example of 'trainwreck'. It was just so damn awful. And considering the amount of money that was poured into it and the people and companies involved, I'm shocked it wasn't highlighted.

I think it is because, unlike Blood-C, when Fractale started off, a lot of people had high hopes for it. With Blood-C, it sucked from the get go: that train never left the station, so it was never in contention for a wreck somewhere down the tracks.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Not a single mention of Mawaru Penguindrum. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Angel Beats! get some love! I thought the show was really delightful (pacing problems and some uggo animation aside) but I don't know ANYONE else who liked it. Which is strange because I keep hearing that it's some sort of big fan favorite or something? Weird!

Anyway, 2011 had some pretty fun anime! I'm looking forward to what 2012 brings.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

And yes, Theron, Blue Exorcist does take a huge nosedive before crashing and burning at it's finale. I'm surprised it went from so good to so bad in just one episode.

Haven't finished the show myself yet, but I've heard the point where it goes from good to crap is the point where the anime diverges from the source manga. Which would provide an explanation for the sudden drop, as anime original endings can be very tough to pull off.

I think someone in the follow thread here at ANN pointed out the exact episode where they had animated all of the manga released to that point and the very next episode is where it drops. There wasn't even a transition to awfulness, it just happened as soon as they couldn't adapt anything anymore. I know not every show can be Fullmetal Alchemist and have great, original endings, but GEEZ!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It's nowhere near as bad as BLOOD-C was, although I guess that series wasn't eligible for contention. Somehow. I mean, it was simulcasted, so all I can is that it was an oversight.

Fractale was bad, but BLOOD-C is the show that people will refer to when searching for a modern example of 'trainwreck'. It was just so damn awful. And considering the amount of money that was poured into it and the people and companies involved, I'm shocked it wasn't highlighted.

I think it is because, unlike Blood-C, when Fractale started off, a lot of people had high hopes for it. With Blood-C, it sucked from the get go: that train never left the station, so it was never in contention for a wreck somewhere down the tracks.

Which is worse, a train that heads down the tracks before flying off and plummeting off a cliff, or a train that never leaves the station, falls apart when the engine starts, and then somehow detonates a nuclear bomb killing millions? Very Happy

Ok, you're probably partially right despite my joking, though I'm not sure if either Theron or Carl has even seen Blood-C. But Carl did mention Demon King Daimao and how it was bad, but it didn't hurt him the way Fractale did, so similar logic could apply to Blood-C.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
While I understand the politics, I find the insistence on using only American releases to be quant at best. Angel Beats was my anime of year -- in 2010. And I am disappoint that PenguinDrum didn't make the unlicensed gem list. Ben-To? Are you serious? And where's the love for Steins;Gate? If I play with these rules, it has to be the best of 2011.
Mad_Scientist wrote:
death scene of the year

Wouldn't that be death scenes?

And on Fractale, it wasn't just the content that created the trainwreck. It was all the horrible PR, and public feuding. Remember when the Japanese suits pulled it from Funimation until they ended all online piracy?
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Fate/zero and was bored out of my skull. Long winded exposition and boring characters. I skipped through half of it just to get on with the damn story. I haven't watched any more, I'm afraid too, thinking each will be as bad as the first. A bad first episode is usually the sign of an even worst series to come in my experience.

Hanasaku I felt was hardly series of the year material. It jumped the shark two episodes in with the dirty novel writer who can't pay is bill, Ohana being so calm and content about being a bondage doll also puts her as derp of the year. I really thought the series was gonna be a bit different from the norm but it really became typical slice of life fodder with cookie cutter character types and contrived love triangles. The grandmother I thought was pretty interesting but derailed IMO when she payed Ohana for work. I just remember in episode one how spiteful she was towards Ohana for being the daughter of her good for nothing daughter. What a waste.

Angel Beats was a great series but a shame it couldn't have gotten the full 26 episodes they wanted to do.

BLOOD-C Worst of the year. Only saving grace was good animation. The series was ripe with every CLAMP cliche ever and an extremely lame payoff.

Guin Saga I think they seriously gave up dubbing that half way through and decided to do a less funny version of Ghost Stories.

Summer Wars and Eva 2.0 for sure best movies this year.

Bunny Drop was gonna avoid but learning it doesn't have the creepy manga ending I might give it a shot.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

asimpson2006 wrote:
I am really curious to see just how bad Fractle is. As much as I hear people rag on it, my interest increases just to see how much of train wreck it is.

Like Mad_Scientist said, I guess it was more of a category for a good show gone bad and although it had decent anticipation and Carl gave Blood-C's first episode a 4/5 in the preview thread (Theron a 2) I'd have to say it was evident from an early point that that show wasn't going to a good place. Hard for a train to wreck when it never gets on track.

I'd give my trainwreck award to No.6 though- or maybe [C]. Fractale had wasted potential but I still thought the ending was acceptable and while No.6 and [C] both had less initial promise than Fractale they both squandered what they did have to much more drastic measures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

And yes, Theron, Blue Exorcist does take a huge nosedive before crashing and burning at it's finale. I'm surprised it went from so good to so bad in just one episode.

Haven't finished the show myself yet, but I've heard the point where it goes from good to crap is the point where the anime diverges from the source manga. Which would provide an explanation for the sudden drop, as anime original endings can be very tough to pull off.

I think someone in the follow thread here at ANN pointed out the exact episode where they had animated all of the manga released to that point and the very next episode is where it drops. There wasn't even a transition to awfulness, it just happened as soon as they couldn't adapt anything anymore. I know not every show can be Fullmetal Alchemist and have great, original endings, but GEEZ!

FMA was kind of an odd case anyways, but Claymore and Soul Eater both pulled off anime original endings that were at least respectable. Some disagree, but it sounds like Blue Exorcist was in a completely different class of badness compared to them.

It's a shame, because I was quite enjoying it at first. I feel behind but always planned to catch up, and then I heard about the ending. I'll probably finish it some day anyways.

Melanchthon wrote:
While I understand the politics, I find the insistence on using only American releases to be quant at best. Angel Beats was my anime of year -- in 2010. And I am disappoint that PenguinDrum didn't make the unlicensed gem list. Ben-To? Are you serious? And where's the love for Steins;Gate? If I play with these rules, it has to be the best of 2011.
Mad_Scientist wrote:
death scene of the year

Wouldn't that be death scenes?

Heh, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. spoiler[Though I the first scene still stands out in my mind much more, probably because it's so unexpected at that point.]

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I watched the first episode of Fate/zero and was bored out of my skull. Long winded exposition and boring characters. I skipped through half of it just to get on with the damn story. I haven't watched any more, I'm afraid too, thinking each will be as bad as the first. A bad first episode is usually the sign of an even worst series to come in my experience.

I'd try the second episode at least, ANN's Bamboo Dong had a very unpleasant reaction to the first episode but really loves the show now.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Really happy to see Theron gave a mention to Ben-to as an unlicensed gem. That's one I really enjoyed for some of the same reasons he mentioned and hope to see it licensed as well. I could see NISA licensing Anohana (probably would be my preference out of potential licensors for it at the very least).
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
What? You thought Michelle Ruff as Anri was BAD?! HA!!!

No, my friend. No. You are WRONG. Anri was actually one of the better ones.

If you really want to know who the worst actor in Durarara!!'s dub was, then look no further than the male lead, Darrel Guilbeau. He is BY FAR the single worst voice actor in the entire show. Not only that, he has NEVER been good in any dub he's ever been in. EVER. He ruined Viewtiful Joe in MvC3 and made watching Overman King Gainer in English a truly painful experience.

Seriously. Darrel Guilbeau. Not Michelle Ruff. Michelle sounded fine.

Any other opinion is obviously wrong.

EDIT: And in my opinion, you giving actual consideration for Bryce Papenbrook's extremely annoying performance of Masaomi for best actor makes me think you need a knot on your head. Rolling Eyes

That having been said.... Much respect for giving the honor to Andy McAvin. Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I am loving all of the Cross Game love in here, because dear lord...if that show isn't perfect, than it's about as close as we're ever going to get. I've been a baseball fan for years, but that didn't even matter either way, because the sport is just the window dressing for unbelievable character writing and emotional arcs. I had the distinct pleasure of watching the series with a group of friends this year, and I think every one of us came away massively impressed, and occasionally in tears. I can't say enough about it.
OneWayRoad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Like someone said before, I cannot believe Steins;Gate did not appear in this post.

Heck, Random Curiosity's Best of Anime 2011 actually chose Steins;Gate as the best anime of the year, and this is further supported by the readers of the blog also voting it to #1 on the poll. I don't understand why you wouldn't highlight a hit series that took the anime community by storm with an excellent story. Okabe is probably one of the best anime protagonists I've ever seen, and he even won two awards in Newtype as proof (one for him and another for his voice actor's performance).

I'm also puzzled as to why Mawaru Penguindrum wasn't there either.

Also, I thought Angel Beats! was incredibly rushed and the scene with the mysterious computer guy at the end was so out of place.

If you thought it was a lackluster year for series, you're not looking hard enough.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not a single mention of Mawaru Penguindrum. Sad

I guess this is only for anime which has been released to people in America either by way of streaming or home video regardless actual airing date. That is what I am telling myself in order to explain Guin Saga and Allison & Lillia being on a Best of 2011 list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8