• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Most Notable) of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprised Tiger and Bunny (the duo) didn't' get at least a sniff in that catagory but 'eh what you going to do.

Complete snubbing of P4 noted, however.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:

And no Izaya for Biggest Bastard? Though I gotta admit, that Gosick guy certainly seems like a worthy candidate.

Carl gave him that last year. Since Durarara was available for streaming last year, the only awards it could get this year were for parts of it that weren't in the stream, such as the English dub and any DVD extras, etc.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Angel Beats was my pick for best of 2011. It also has my pick for best death scene: spoiler[Otonashi fills out his organ donor card as a way to find meaning even in his own death. In doing so he inspires the other accident victims to do the same. Then he dies from his injuries just as the rescue team arrives to save everyone.] I realize I haven't seen every anime being discussed, but I can't imagine any other 2011 anime death scene topping this one.
Quote:
Any content which saw an official, widespread release in the U.S. market during 2011 is eligible for consideration for these awards.

Theron wrote:
The Garden of Sinners is Type-Moon's masterpiece, with excellent technical merits and a convoluted, out-of-order story which mixes in magic and gory mayhem as it explores some of the darkest recesses of the human soul. A strong ending which puts the whole series in perspective secures its spot in this list

Does the method of release for The Garden of Sinners really count as widespread? From this article I've resolved to track down a physicaly copy of this. Not to buy. Not to watch. Just to verify that the darn thing does exist. Don't bother posting pictures anyone. I want to see it in the offlineworld. Maybe someone could put it on a pedestal at Anime Expo. Surround it with bulletproof glass and velvet rope. Add a placard that says "Rare artifact from the era of physical media".
Carl wrote:
Angel Beats! was my Wandering Son I guess: a series whose quality I'll acknowledge but that left me so totally cold that I never followed it past episode two.

Anyone who didn't watch Angel Beats through the end of episode three didn't watch Angel Beats.
vashfanatic

Conan-san wrote:
Kinda surprised Tiger and Bunny (the duo) didn't' get at least a sniff in that catagory but 'eh what you going to do.

Carl hated them as a duo, so that didn't surprise me at all.

Tiger & Bunny would have been all over any list I did, but I also didn't watch much of what came out this year; I've been delving into older series lately, so I honestly can't give my opinion on their lists. They may be right, and I just didn't see the show.

I did hear the ending music to Guin Saga, though, and yeah, I can't imagine anything being better than that. It was beautiful.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

Am I the only person who *enjoyed* the latter episodes of Blue Exorcist? I actually liked how it ended, and I enjoyed the show overall. Of course, that may be because I haven't yet read the part of the manga it diverges from yet-so I have nothing to compare it to, but it definitely exceeded expectations as a shonen series!

I was surprised that Tiger & Bunny wasn't mentioned that much in the article, but the show did meander a bit, and a lot of the character-focused episodes dragged (the Sky High ep was filler-ish). I personally would give it a nod for best death, though. spoiler[The flashback in which we see how Lunatic accidentally/on purpose killed his father as a kid was chilling.]

I know the show simulcasted and I think the dub releases started in 2010, but Maxie Whitehead deserves recognition for voicing Al Elric so well in FMA: Brotherhood. It's hard to step into a role that another actor is famous for, but she did an amazing job.

I'm glad Bunny Drop is getting so much recognition! Smile And Steins;Gate sounds better every time its brought up! I hope Funimation decides to stream it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
(the Sky High ep was filler-ish)

You mean the episode that introduces spoiler[one of the villains in the finale, complete with the whole twist about the robots?] Yeah, total filler. Rolling Eyes

Blue Rose and Dragon Kid's episodes were much more filler-ish than Sky High's, though almost everything episode had something interesting happen in it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Am I the only person who *enjoyed* the latter episodes of Blue Exorcist? I actually liked how it ended, and I enjoyed the show overall. Of course, that may be because I haven't yet read the part of the manga it diverges from yet-so I have nothing to compare it to, but it definitely exceeded expectations as a shonen series!.

I too didn't think the show dropped as much as some people were claiming. It wasn't that great even when covering the source material, and the Anime-only bits were more of the same. In fact, if I didn't know that they were Anime-only it wouldn't even have crossed my mind that they were not from the source material.

Here's a question: is there anyone out there who thought that there was a large and instant drop in quality, and who has not read the Manga? Because I think this supposed "drop" is only in some people's minds. The show didn't go the same way as the Manga and that made Manga-readers angry irrespective of the quality of the Anime-original storyline.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
(the Sky High ep was filler-ish)

You mean the episode that introduces spoiler[one of the villains in the finale, complete with the whole twist about the robots?] Yeah, total filler. Rolling Eyes

Blue Rose and Dragon Kid's episodes were much more filler-ish than Sky High's, though almost everything episode had something interesting happen in it.

I think each episode had a point, for example both Blue Rose and Dragon Kid give the character development (and Dragon Kid's episode also develops Agnes a bit).

As you mentioned the Sky High episode was very important to setup the last few episodes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
*blushes* Oops, yeah, I forgot about that, Vashfanatic.

But you gotta admit, the pacing was a bit off mid-season. They introduced some very enticing dark themes and an incredible antihero in Lunatic, but they never really followed through, particularly with Lunatic. Sure, he had an important role at the end, but his character arc and angst weren't resolved at all!

And did almost all the major plot twists that involved all the heroes *have* to do with Barnaby's Batman backstory? I loved how they resolved it at the end, but I only had so many snarky "Holy emo-bishie Batman!" jokes for every single "My parents were murdered!" flashback. Razz

Maybe I'm just a bit bitter that they decided to try to resolve all the dangling plot threads in a couple movies rather than doing the second season that show deserves...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Angel Beats was my pick for best of 2011. It also has my pick for best death scene: spoiler[Otonashi fills out his organ donor card as a way to find meaning even in his own death. In doing so he inspires the other accident victims to do the same. Then he dies from his injuries just as the rescue team arrives to save everyone.] I realize I haven't seen every anime being discussed, but I can't imagine any other 2011 anime death scene topping this one.

Indeed, this would easily be my choice as well. It was the best executed episode in all of Angel Beats in my opinion and really that flashback brings the entire series full-circle.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Summer Wars: Genuinely original and completely self-contained, it requires zero prior knowledge to enjoy.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1149

Digimon Movie: Our War Game: asme director, same story, same colorful virtual world style, SAME ENDING. Yeah, originality at it's best here.

http://actar.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/summer-wars-versus-the-second-digimon-movie/

Yes, Summer Wars was betetr, but it was NOT original. It was an idea Hosoda Mamoru wanted to expand upon since he made that Digimon movie.

PS: Ah.... Pussyhand... I remember watching that with my friends, and I had to pause the movie when all 5 of us went "Wait, what did he say?", and then rewind, hear it again, and burst into laughter.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
The point was that no one was wondering why Madoka didn't win any awards.

Probably because it has been licensed, and will be released next year, and will probably win a bunch of stuff then, barring the appearance of an unforeseen huge series. They're trying to play fair.

Uh...exactly my point/what everyone apparently already figured out (considering, you know, what I said above)?

Also, we're already in 2012.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Maybe I'm just a bit bitter that they decided to try to resolve all the dangling plot threads in a couple movies rather than doing the second season that show deserves...

Well, from what I've read, originally the second half was going to be somewhat different (more resolved, plus killing off a character or two), but then they realized how insanely popular it was getting and decided to leave it open for a sequel.

Also, we know they'll be coming out with movies, but I don't believe we know whether those are in lieu of a second season yet. I mean, if I were the producers I'd keep milking this cow for all it's worth. It's not as though there isn't massive potential for future storylines, not just with spoiler[the true nature of Ouroboros], but with all the many characters, plus any potential new news. They basically created a very open-ended universe.

Red Fox Fire wrote:
Uh...exactly my point/what everyone apparently already figured out (considering, you know, what I said above)?

Also, we're already in 2012.

*scrolls back through comments* I think I may have replied to the wrong post... sorry, this thread updates fast.

And hey, cut me some slack; we're still in those first few weeks of the year where my brain hasn't fully registered the new year yet (I still type 2011). I know I'm not the only person who does that.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Here's a question: is there anyone out there who thought that there was a large and instant drop in quality, and who has not read the Manga? Because I think this supposed "drop" is only in some people's minds. The show didn't go the same way as the Manga and that made Manga-readers angry irrespective of the quality of the Anime-original storyline.

I haven't read the manga yet, and intend to eventually get back to Blue Exorcist. If I can remember to, I'll post my thoughts over in the Blue Exorcist thread when I finish.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
To address a couple of specific cases:

Megiddo wrote:
Gotta say, I'm disappointed that Time of Eve didn't get any mention whatsoever with the movie being legally released via iTunes.

Was not even aware of this, which is why it didn't get mentioned.

The King of Harts wrote:
I love Kari Walhgren and I think she did a good job as Celty, but to say she HANDILY tops Lisa as Echidna and Brina as Holo or Natsuki is exaggeration to the extreme. Hell, I still say Laura Bailey's Shin is extremely underrated because the show is a rewrite and extremely goofy in general, so people look past it, but I'll leave that one out.

I've commented more than once in reviews that Lisa Ortiz's Echidna is that dub's brightest spot, but I'd still take the Celty performance over hers. Brina's Holo is certainly good but not quite on the same level, either.

And to the person who mentioned Maxie Whitehead: I've honored her before (in the 2009 awards, I believe?), and while she did a great job with Ed, it's not quite as good as her award-winning ones in Baccano! and Romeo x Juliet.

Concerning Steins;Gate: I'll probably get around to watching that one out when it comes out on DVD. It was definitely an "I can't keep up with everything" casualty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8