• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Most Notable) of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
d_ace_shines wrote:
Well.. I love Angel Beats! too..
But a list without Steins;Gate and Madoka looks like fail list to me.

Let's see, how many times was it pointed out in the original article AND earlier in this thread that PMMM doesn't qualify for 2011 because its official American release hasn't happened yet?

Sheesh. I don't mind people disagreeing or thinking we missed something, but to base your problems with the awards on the omission of titles that aren't eligible for the awards is ridiculous. PMMM will be a juggernaut in 2012's awards if its current release schedule holds, as I already consider it a prime contender for one of the top overall series spots and at least three of the individual awards. (And honestly, I don't think it's possible to beat it on one of those.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
PMMM will be a juggernaut in 2012's awards if its current release schedule holds, as I already consider it a prime contender for one of the top overall series spots and at least three of the individual awards. (And honestly, I don't think it's possible to beat it on one of those.)

Let me guess: it is unbeatable in the Death Scene of the Year category?

Curious as to what the other two individual awards are. There's so many that it could be eligible for.

d_ace_shines wrote:
After all, Steins;Gate is the only 2011 Anime (season, not long series) that make it to the big three in MyAnimelist

Steins;Gate was good but it wasn't that good. People completely ignore that the first half was rather boring, even for a 'get to know the characters and set up the plot' exercise. It wallowed in Otakuness far too much, and too much of it felt like filler. And then the second half rolls around and things start happening, except Moeka's actions don't make sense and Okarin has shallow romances with his Harem that were supposed to be deep or something. I couldn't care one whit about Mayuri who frankly was portrayed as mentally retarded, which I guess was designed to appeal to Otaku. Kurisu on the other hand was sympathetic, and Okabe was very well played by Mamoru Miyano, who gave his best performance since Light.

I liked the show, I thought it to be pretty well-written. But there's no bloody way it deserves to reside in the top echelon.

Oh, and MAL's rankings are just as bad as ANN's.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ITT: people who can't read.

dtm42 wrote:
The question is, which death scene in particular would win the award, or will it be a shared win? :D spoiler[I nominate the scene where Homura shoots Madoka's Soul Gem. T_T]

Quote:
Steins;Gate was good but it wasn't that good. People completely ignore that the first half was rather boring, even for a 'get to know the characters and set up the plot' exercise. It wallowed in Otakuness far too much, and too much of it felt like filler.
Which is why I got bored and dropped the show and have been very resistant to all the recommendations that it gets better. S;G drug the setup out for far too long and the characters all got on my nerves in light of what seemed like a rather serious and even interesting setting. I can appreciate that some things need to be built up in order to be knocked over, subverted, whatever, and I'm sure that it does get better, but S;G was just really tiresome for too long. :\
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Curious as to what the other two individual awards [Madoka Magica] are. There's so many that it could be eligible for.

My guesses would be spoiler[Character of the Year to Homura and Biggest Bastard to Kyubey. Surprise of the Year is another one, but I don't think anyone who sees it now would be truly surprised. Closer of the Year wouldn't shock me either, but I don't think it's fair to say an ender is a lock since there's, like, 90 shows a season and so the odds are high that there could be another.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Closer of the Year wouldn't shock me either
It would me. Much as I love the show, and I think the ED, as a part of an episode, helped set the mood, the song and footage are pretty uninteresting after seeing them once. In a vacuum, PMMMs EDs (counting BD versions) are all really boring.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Curious as to what the other two individual awards [Madoka Magica] are. There's so many that it could be eligible for.

My guesses would be spoiler[Character of the Year to Homura and Biggest Bastard to Kyubey.]

The latter is one I that I was referring to, but not the former. I can't see her even seriously being in contention.

As for Death Scene, we're talking about spoiler[Mami's death in episode 3, without question. If you don't know what's coming then it's one of the biggest shock values in recent memory and the scene where the series totally turns the tables on expectations.] But that's a matter for discussion elsewhere so I won't discuss it further here.

And Opener and Closer are simply too unpredictable in any given season, unless it's "Saga." Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Category: Best show that went out of Print this year that you probably do not own but should check out.

Evangelion would be a shoe-in, but everyone probably already owns it.

My vote would be: Figure 17, grab it while you can. Not sure if Urusei Yatsura went out this year, but that show, while worth watching is a behemoth.

Overall, I have got to agree on Angel Beats as far as entertainment goes, as well as having appeal to those unfamiliar with Key works. While not the emotional piledriver as other series, three of my casual anime friends who have never bitten on any other Key work, really liked it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Let me preface this post by saying that I've been writing it for a awhile, before Key and Veers' posts.

The King of Harts wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

My guesses would be spoiler[Character of the Year to Homura and Biggest Bastard to Kyubey. Surprise of the Year is another one, but I don't think anyone who sees it now would be truly surprised. Closer of the Year wouldn't shock me either, but I don't think it's fair to say an ender is a lock since there's, like, 90 shows a season and so the odds are high that there could be another.]

These are the categories I believe PMMM should do well in for the next such feature:

Series of the Year: Will win comfortably. Nothing else on the horizon that will get licensed in the same time period should even come close.

Character of the Year: Kyubey is so memorable and unusual, and spoiler[so convincingly alien in his mindset,] that he should do well. Not a shoo-in, though he would be my pick for the winner.

Duo of the Year: spoiler[Madoka and Homura] have an outside chance, may get an honourable mention. Although I believe they are very strong, there's too many complicated circumstances to say they'll have an easy run.

Biggest Bastard: spoiler[Kyubey] may do well in this category, but he's not a bastard. Sure, I want to punch his face in like everyone else, but he legitimately thinks he's in the right and has no trace of evil.

Scene of the Year: Where to begin? If this isn't a serious candidate I don't know what is. spoiler[Mami's death in episode three, Homura's grief in episode ten and Madoka becoming a Goddess in episode twelve.] All of those could take the top spot.

Episode of the Year: I know this wasn't done this time round, but I'm hoping that either Carl of Theron will choose it for their open awards. As strong as episodes three and twelve are, I would say that episode ten is one of the most perfect Anime episodes ever created. The writing is f*cking sublime. And yes, I had to drop the f-bomb because that's how good it is. Seriously. It is the best episode in a series full of amazing episodes.

Death Scene of the Year: Let's go to Veers, shall we?

Veers wrote:
The question is, which death scene in particular would win the award, or will it be a shared win? Very Happy spoiler[I nominate the scene where Homura shoots Madoka's Soul Gem. Anime cry]

Good point. Now that you mention it, I think a shared award would be for the best. How does one decide between all of them? However, nothing is going to top episode spoiler[three] for sheer shock value. Oh, how innocent we were before then . . .

Opener of the Year and Closer of the Year: I'm realistic enough to admit that Connect - PMMM's opener - while good, is not amazing, and almost certainly will not do well. There will simply be too much competition. However Magia - the show's closer - has haunting visuals backed up with an amazing song by Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina. It suits the series so well I am confident that it will get an honourable mention at the very least, and should be a strong contender for the win.

Japanese Dub of the Year (Overall): Not sure really. I don't think the overall performances were particularly standout.

Well, except for one . . .

Japanese Dub of the Year (Individual Female): Chiwa Saitō is an amazing Seiyuu and in PMMM she delivered another incredible performance. And this despite most of her lines being spoken in a monotone. She is utterly convincing as spoiler[an emotionally crippled girl who will ruthlessly do whatever it takes to help Madoka, even if it means hurting her.] Saitō deserves at least an honourable mention.

Many people will say Emiri Katō's performance as Kyubey was great, and I would agree. I just don't think her performance was as good as Saitō's was.

Well that's about it. Will be fascinating to see how many of my predictions come true.

Veers wrote:
Quote:
Steins;Gate was good but it wasn't that good. People completely ignore that the first half was rather boring, even for a 'get to know the characters and set up the plot' exercise. It wallowed in Otakuness far too much, and too much of it felt like filler.
Which is why I got bored and dropped the show and have been very resistant to all the recommendations that it gets better. S;G drug the setup out for far too long and the characters all got on my nerves in light of what seemed like a rather serious and even interesting setting. I can appreciate that some things need to be built up in order to be knocked over, subverted, whatever, and I'm sure that it does get better, but S;G was just really tiresome for too long. :\

I too found it tiresome but I also found enough to like to tide me over. The second half is wildly different than the first half in terms of pacing, energy and tone, and the quality of the voice acting goes through the roof. I mean, Miyano gives what could be a career-best performance. I believe he won an award for his work in the show.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend that you just skip to the second half because too much of the plot depends on (often seemingly minor) events that occurred in the first half that take on more importance in the second. All I can say is the payoff is pretty good. Just be aware that it has been hyped and hyped and unlike PMMM, much of that hype is unwarranted. Still a good show overall though.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Good point. Now that you mention it, I think a shared award would be for the best. How does one decide between all of them? However, nothing is going to top episode spoiler[three] for sheer shock value. Oh, how innocent we were before then . . .
I'm not sure what it says about me, but when considering the theoretical award here, spoiler[episode three] was really an afterthought; that scene spoiler[in episode 10 when Homura mercy-kills Madoka] had a lot more impact on me (not to marginalize the impact "that scene" had, but spoiler[Mami's death] honestly wasn't the first thing to come to mind).

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
My vote would be: Figure 17, grab it while you can.
Really a hidden gem, that show. Rightstuf has the whole show for $30. Grab while it's cheap!
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
PMMM will be a juggernaut in 2012's awards if its current release schedule holds, as I already consider it a prime contender for one of the top overall series spots and at least three of the individual awards. (And honestly, I don't think it's possible to beat it on one of those.)

Curious as to what the other two individual awards are. There's so many that it could be eligible for.

d_ace_shines wrote:
After all, Steins;Gate is the only 2011 Anime (season, not long series) that make it to the big three in MyAnimelist

Steins;Gate was good but it wasn't that good. People completely ignore that the first half was rather boring, even for a 'get to know the characters and set up the plot' exercise. It wallowed in Otakuness far too much, and too much of it felt like filler. And then the second half rolls around and things start happening, except Moeka's actions don't make sense and Okarin has shallow romances with his Harem that were supposed to be deep or something. I couldn't care one whit about Mayuri who frankly was portrayed as mentally retarded, which I guess was designed to appeal to Otaku. Kurisu on the other hand was sympathetic, and Okabe was very well played by Mamoru Miyano, who gave his best performance since Light.

I liked the show, I thought it to be pretty well-written. But there's no bloody way it deserves to reside in the top echelon.

Oh, and MAL's rankings are just as bad as ANN's.

It does deserve a top spot I found it much better than Madoka
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm very pleased that Angel Beats was mentioned, and even named the top release of the year by one. It was far and away my favorite title of the year and sports one of my favorite dubs of all time. The show made me laugh out loud on many occasions and even made me tear up a bit at the end (something no series has done in a long time.)

I also agree with the music picks for Guin Saga and Angel Beats. The OP to Angel Beats has been stuck in my head since watching episode 1. The ED to Guin Saga became an instant favorite upon my first listening and is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
I'm not sure what it says about me, but when considering the theoretical award here, spoiler[episode three] was really an afterthought; that scene spoiler[in episode 10 when Homura mercy-kills Madoka] had a lot more impact on me (not to marginalize the impact "that scene" had, but spoiler[Mami's death] honestly wasn't the first thing to come to mind).

It says that you like quality death scenes, ones with emotional weight and power behind them rather than those that just trade on their shock value. That's what it says about you. And I don't think it is anything to be ashamed of.

Veers wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Really a hidden gem, that show.

I don't even know why I decided to buy it in the first place. It wasn't cheap or anything, and I was in a saving mood and buying only a fraction of the Anime I normally do. But buy it I did, and I found it enjoyable enough. Which is saying a lot since normally I hate such Moe-centric character designs.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Veers wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Really a hidden gem, that show.

I don't even know why I decided to buy it in the first place. It wasn't cheap or anything, and I was in a saving mood and buying only a fraction of the Anime I normally do. But buy it I did, and I found it enjoyable enough. Which is saying a lot since normally I hate such Moe-centric character designs.

Yes, not the greatest of shows, but surprisingly solid. Sad to see it vanish in a whisper.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's a rock solid dub, and I totally agree with Kari's Celty; she was a definite bright spot. It's most likely those peeps watched the Japanese first so they tend to have this knee-jerk reaction every time they hear something remotely English.

It's decent... except for Darrel Guilbeau's Mikado.

He just outright sucks as an actor and I honestly can not see why he still gets cast for roles, much less lead roles like in Durarara!! and Overman King Gainer.

And no I'm not going to let this slide. All must know of Guilbeau's complete lack of talent.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
It's decent... except for Darrel Guilbeau's Mikado.

He just outright sucks as an actor and I honestly can not see why he still gets cast for roles, much less lead roles like in Durarara!! and Overman King Gainer.

And no I'm not going to let this slide. All must know of Guilbeau's complete lack of talent.

You can harp about this all you want, but it isn't going to change the fact that some people strongly disagree with you about him. I thought his performance was perfectly fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8