• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - They Were 11

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of the anime, but I guess you'd enjoy it, if you like Toward the Terra. It suffers from slow pacing and anticlimactic suspense, but it's an interesting time capsule. I'm a bigger fan of Lily C.A.T., though.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I checked this out after having it recommended by a couple of forum regulars in one of those "forgotten gem" type topics that pop up in the anime forum from time to time. I enjoyed it but it's not something that I would rewatch over and over. You can pretty much see the plot twists a mile away and you know how things are going to end up long before they actually play out.

It's still an enjoyable watch. I never thought of it as a shoujo title. I had no idea it was adapted from a manga and a shoujo manga at that, but the strength of the story is in the relationships that develop between the various characters and how the difficult situation they are all in begins to put those relationships under extreme pressure. It's interesting to see the effect of the increasingly dire circumstances combine with each person's personality and background to produce various levels of fear, paranoia, and mistrust.

I guess in the end I wouldn't go way out of my way to see this, but it's worth a little bit of effort to track it down. I picked it up last year and at that time the DVD was both readily available and relatively inexpensive.
handsomeyakuza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
This one's a goodie...I bought a year a ago. A definite classic...
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Frolbericheri". I'm sorry, but that sounds like some horrible satanic cereal with marshmallows.

Ha ha! I'd eat that. Start every morning off with a bowl of evil Twisted Evil

I'm looking forward to any of the potential Garbage you talked about; those are always a good read.
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
one of the anime shown on Sci-Fi channel on Saturday mornings waaaay back in the day...

nothing remarkable on this film so i skipped the purchase....

so when will Iria will make "Buried Treasure"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
TW11 really is a good classic, one of the better catches CPM had. I did a review once recommending it to college students since I really felt they could relate to the pressures endured by these characters. Eventually I had to learn who Tetsu Dezaki was since I hadn't heard that particular name before. Nice writeup as always, man. ^^
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty great movie. I found this randomly at a Suncoast that is now deceased. It is slow, I can see why some people, especially young people wouldn't care for it, but it is one intriguing show.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I never thought of it as a shoujo title. I had no idea it was adapted from a manga and a shoujo manga at that

I think Frol pretty much screams shojo, once you know what you're dealing with Anime smile
Moto Hagio is one of the pioneers of shojo, though only a handful of her manga have been translated- A A' Prime and They Were 11 from VIZ [both OOP], and the currently available Hanshin, a 16 page story included in The Comics Journal's Shojo issue [which also had an extensive interview, and miniartbook section with a dozen or so paintings from Hagio]
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
If it's relatively easy to find, I do get your recommendations. Time Strangers has to be my absolute favorite, but I also enjoyed Crusher Joe, My Beautiful Girl Mari, Here is Greenwood, Human Crossing, and Night on the Galactic Railroad. I just ordered this title and look forward to viewing it too.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
I also picked this one up at the Suncoast sale, and I thought it was really well done. I'd watch it again this weekend if I hadn't lent it to my fiance. It never occurred to me that it was shoujo, though.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
I found TW11 on laserdisc a little over a year ago, and it was a joy to watch. Given that it's a somewhat obscure older CPM title with a good deal of upside, I figured it would end up in your column eventually, Justin. Glad to see that it did.

Last edited by RedTail on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
I love 80's sci-fi genre trappings! Very Happy . I'm gonna have to try and find this now.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
This was the movie they were showing at the only anime club meeting I ever attended in college. It was really interesting the first time, but it's something I would never want to watch again. Trying to figure out the 11th person was neat though at the time!
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I was very pleased to see this featured. I had known about the series for some time due to research and bought the movie as soon as CPM released it over here and it has a proud place on my shelf. Cool
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
so when will Iria will make "Buried Treasure"?

That one had a DVD collection released in 2004 and an "economy" release in 2007, so it's probably not obscure enough. Definitely one of the early '90s classics, though.

This release has been on my "kinda want to see" list for a long time. I do occasionally run across it at 'cons or in brick-and-mortar stores, so it shouldn't be terribly hard to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3