• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yes, Disney is submitting Spirited Away for nomination...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rundav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:57 am Reply with quote
Disney went through all the effort to do a near perfect conversion of the movie to English and they only trickle it out to theatres. I am not sure why. Maybe they don't want it to over take their new/current releases. As for winning any awards, it will have to be smaller anime awards because this category usually goes to the big box office seller.

I do think the DVD will sell/rent big, but when a movie sells at an all time record in Japan and they spend money on a conversion, they should have given it at least a week or two of major release.

On another note, was anyone shocked by the performance of Power Puff Girls? The advertising cost probably exceed the earnings.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well, there are a few things to consider here. The film, for a children's movie, is epic in length. 2 hours plus is way, way too long for a kid's movie; the rule of thumb is 90 minutes or less. The most successful children's films typically follow that rule. Also, Disney did not release Spirited Away with the intent of making seirous bank on it; it was a prestige release, something they threw out to get accolages and awards and so forth. The critical community went all a-titter when it was released, and Disney got major kudos for even attempting to put the film out, so they got what they wanted. It made.. what, 2 and a half million at the box office? That's probably substantially more than they spent dubbing and marketing the film, so they didn't take much of a hit, money-wise. Again, we're not talking about something Disney had thought they could make a lot of money in. They, and I think wisely, had no faith that the film could prove to be a major box office smash, so they just took the small circuit and left it at that. They'll rely on home video sales to cover whatever costs haven't been taken care of yet.

If you people are so adamant about these films succeeding, go see the damn movie and take as many people as you can. I know so many people who were 'enthusiastic' about seeing Spirited Away and just kept saying "Oh yeah, I need to go see it." This is the sort of attitude that had it shuttled out of theaters inside a month; people 'meaning' to go and never getting to it or forgetting about it or saying 'Well, I could watch the Japanese version anytime I want'. Not that they're to blame for the box office "failure" of SA (consdiering the art house budget the dub had, it made art house profits, and good ones at that), but they could be considered part of the problem. It's five dollars, go see the damn movie.

You also have a sea of retarded otaku who hate Disney and everything they do. These obnoxious people also help bring the box office numbers down by refusing to see the film because Disney put it out. As much as I hate to draw this comparison, that's akin to hating someone because they're black. Paying attention only to the surface for horrifically flawed reasons and not taking the time to find out what makes that person (or release) unique.

If you're thinking that I just compared people who hate Disney to racists, I did. Chew on that for a while.

-Zac
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If you people are so adamant about these films succeeding, go see the damn movie and take as many people as you can. I know so many people who were 'enthusiastic' about seeing Spirited Away and just kept saying "Oh yeah, I need to go see it." This is the sort of attitude that had it shuttled out of theaters inside a month; people 'meaning' to go and never getting to it or forgetting about it or saying 'Well, I could watch the Japanese version anytime I want'. Not that they're to blame for the box office "failure" of SA (consdiering the art house budget the dub had, it made art house profits, and good ones at that), but they could be considered part of the problem. It's five dollars, go see the damn movie.

I wish I could have. While it was playing in Philadelphia, which is only about an hour from my house, it was impossible for me to get a babysitter for the 4+ hours it would have taken for my husband and I to go all the way down there, see the movie and come back. Originally, nausicaa.net had said it was going to play at the nearby theater, which is like 15 minutes away, and I was excited. I could see it since I could get a babysitter for like 2 hours. Alas, it did not play at that theater. So I'm SOL and forced to wait for it to come to DVD. I just hope it doesn't take forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:41 am Reply with quote
Zac: "It made.. what, 2 and a half million at the box office?"

Actually, almost $5 million.

"If you people are so adamant about these films succeeding, go see the damn movie and take as many people as you can. "

I think people want to, but Disney keeps decreasing the number of theaters, despite the fact that Pokemon 4Ever bombed, and more people can see it. Normally, I'd be making fun of the otaku, but when you gross $500,000 every week for 4 weeks, you gotta wonder what the f*ck is Disney's problem in decreasing the number of theaters. If you check out that Box Office Mojo thing, only the first three Pokemon movies and the Digimon movie made more money than Spirited Away. So it's either: 1)Making enough money by otaku to give it a wider release. (Unlikely when you look at Metropolis.) or 2)Has been well recieved by mainstream audiences who helped push for a higher box office take. All I can say is I can't wait for Eisner to be fired when he loses the Winnie the Pooh license.
rundav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The point I was trying to make in my fist message was that by increasing the # of theatres, Disney might have not only made more $$$, but increased the movie's popularity (and possible thrust the genre a little more into the mainstream). They just had to take a chance.

Disney can't win over everyone and I guess they don't try to. Why bother when you have got your niche audience of new families that will forever go to see their work.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It was one of my big regrets this summer-fall that I didn't get a chance to go see Spirited Away on a double level because I had a date with a girl who is a big fan of Kiki's Delivery Service but didn't know much about anime (there, see, Disney's Miyazaki releases are getting out to people), and wanted to learn, but alas my chance ran up when the theater here that was showing it (took me forever to find it, too) pulled it as the all too short run ended. Obviously, Miyazaki reaches otaku and non-otaku alike. Spirited Away could've done better at the box office, but that could be said of a lot of anime movies, can't it? Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust probably would've made a killing in the box office if marketed strongly. But we can't just say that. Our speculation isn't the market research done on a widespread basis that tells major companies that anime isn't going to sell. Anime acceptedon a widespread basis will take effort to expose people to anime in a positive light undertaken by other people. We can start the ball rolling, ask friends if they'd be willing to give a chance to Jin-Roh or Ah! My Goddess; give friends' children gifts of Power Stone or Magic Knights Rayearth; wear your Gundam t-shirt to the office oon casual day. By subtle, casual introduction, eventually people will start asking out of genuine (or morbid) curiousity. That's how anime will become popular. And through a widespread acceptance and understanding, anime will make it into the theaters, where it will be appreciated.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:25 pm Reply with quote
UV and Bandai don't have the money and influence to give VHD: Bloodlust the marketing it deserves. The distribution it and Jin Roh ended up getting was nothing short of a miracle.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I can believe that Urban Vision is a little hard-up. But Bandai!?!?!?!?!?!? But, as I said, it was merely speculation. Every non-otaku I've shown VHD: Bloodlust to (who was over the age of 10) was both dumbstruck and spellbound because it was such an absolutely beautiful film. To me, that's the mark of a success that could've happened. The fact that it didn't is just a sign of what needs to be done.

Who knows? Maybe I'll just invent some miracle device, make a gazillion dollars, and then sponsor major marketing campaigns for anime movies in America. That would solve all the problems there are, right?

(but first, I'd parlay a ton of resources into finding my own living, breathing Mihoshi Kuramitsu and doing everything in my power to try and win her affections. The pinings of a noble romantic, I suppose.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Bandai of Japan ain't gonna be funding Bandai of America to give wide distribution to Jin Roh unless they feel there's enough of a market for the movie.

Well I just read at nausicaa that Disney's pushing the film for Best Editing, Best Sound, and Best Sound Editing, which might give it some attention in the long run, but only means something to people who work with foley equipment. I'm also disappointed that they're including American names for those categories, because it sounds like Disney's going to take credit for the production of Spirited Away, when all they did was finance the production. (They can then claim it's a "Disney" production and not a Ghibli one.)
MattOverYou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Spirit that horse movie made 70 to 90 cool million dollars at the theatres and the movie has alot going for it to win best animated. Disney is just doing it 4 spirited because it'll garner more interest and submitting three says their bigger and will help out the nominated one or two. They have to do Lilo because it is an obvious one to submit, and they are not sure if Treasure Planet will be a huge hit or just a hit so they just have to go with it.. if it fails, they got Lilo. They'll sell more tapes and more rentals for Spirited Away because of submitting it. I dare say its out of the question for another run in the threatres. On a good note it helps open the door for other anime :D

Anime will not succedd in the box office to make an impact unless it is shown on TV. And any anime with the depth enough to make it to box office ends up being too late or its not championed enough by the channel its ran on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2