• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Pushed Up to April 8 in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
JaxsonJaguar wrote:
I remember the first Mortal Kombat movie was a bad movie but I still say it was okay and I have fun watching it all these years later. The 2nd MK movie I perfer to avoid like the plague cause it was so god awful. My hope is that the Dragonball movie achives first MK movie level of entertainment.

Actually comparing it to the MK movies is a good way to go about it. I remember when me and my friends decided to watch the first MK in our hotel room while we were at AX two years ago. It was pretty bad in terms of special effects and acting when you take something like that which was made back in the 1990s, but it was still fun to watch because it was bad. We actually talked about how we wished there were movies that could be made like that today, to bring back the nostalgic feel that it gives. Second movie wasn't worth crap.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually interested. Fox has claimed that this movie is going to be one of their top grossing movies for 09, along with Wolverine. So, if they have faith in their own movie like that, I'm assuming that they want to treat it like a blockbuster. Fox has been known for having big blockbusters, though, even if this year was one of their worst years in their history. Anime smile

The fact is that a movie like this can only be judged once all the CGI is in place. Until then, reserve your judgments. Even the promo we saw before was before most of the CGI was in place. And besides, if the supposed "pre-release" reviews like on Ain't it Cool News are right, this movie isn't nearly the nightmare a lot of people make it out to be. If anything, it sounds like the movie supplies the pure essence of Dragonball: epic battles! Anime smile As long as they deliver on that, I'm happy! Anime smile

Plus, James Marsters is a big DBZ fan, from what I hear. Anime smile
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
i'm an over-zealous fan of DBZ, i've been waiting for this movie for 5 years. i'm excited to see this live rendition.

i am going in perfectly aware that yes it's not going to be an exact replica of the series, 1. for time constraints, and 2. it's live action. knowing that, i'm prepared to see what surprises are in store for this American rendition of "the most popular anime series of all time" (i put in quotes because i know some will fight me to the death to defend their own choice).

bring it on!! Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Da Games: Considering FOX's line-up I think Wolverine's their only film which will make money. And that's if they don't eff it up, and turn it into Punisher 2. [Sorry, haters, but I thought Thomas Jane owned that role.]

Rider: The only surprise I imagine you'll get from DB is how it sucks more than even you expected. I know that feeling, having seen the Van Damme SF. Laughing
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rider: The only surprise I imagine you'll get from DB is how it sucks more than even you expected. I know that feeling, having seen the Van Damme SF. Laughing

oh you deter me with your harsh words Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Rider: Sorry, dude. Didn't mean to ruin your day. Here's hoping it's at least as passable as the non-Corman Fantastic Four movies.
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
meh, it could go either way. but i'm gonna have hopes i'll enjoy it til i'm convinced otherwise Wink and that'll only happen when i watch the movie for myself and make my own analysis.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if any of you saw this:

Apparently instead of going super saiyan and turnin' his hair all crazy spiked blond, he transforms into a giant herpes-infected dick.

This movies sound all kinds of super.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I believe that was in the other thread in the anime forum. I am rather curious as to what that is actually.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if want.

I'll kill if Goku turns into that monster thing though.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Instead of releasing it early, I wish they'd delay this garbage. That is, delay it for eternity. ...as in, it will never come out.

Failing that, i'm still praying to god that this crap is still just a big, theatrical rickroll.
NExclusive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I plan on watching it when it comes out and if you're scared that it won't be good then don't watch it,if its a bad movie then it'll be a bad movie but i'll pass judgment after I see it..you guys saying its going to be an "automatic fail" aren't helping the anime community make strides or progress in any field than what they're already good at.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I'm curious if any of you saw this:

Apparently instead of going super saiyan and turnin' his hair all crazy spiked blond, he transforms into a giant herpes-infected dick.

Saiyans do have another transformation, y'know, not just SSJs.
But growing into the giant monkey (not ape) has to be scary.
Wyaku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I cryied. Whats going to be the outcome of this now. I have a horrible feeling
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Wyaku wrote:
I cryied. Whats going to be the outcome of this now. I have a horrible feeling

Even still Wyaku we gotta go see it. You can cry in the theatre. And welcome btw. I told you to make an account ages ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5