• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Pushed Up to April 8 in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I'm curious if any of you saw this:

Apparently instead of going super saiyan and turnin' his hair all crazy spiked blond, he transforms into a giant herpes-infected dick.

This movies sound all kinds of super.

Goku doesn't even go Super Saiyan in DragonBall. SS is reached in the Frieza saga of DragonBall Z...

I've noticed a bunch of atmospheric changes.. like Goku goes to high school in the movie.. but I didn't think it was that bad because it was an "adaptation." However, anything that really changes the plot line to turning him SS many years earlier and against an enemy that is exponentially weaker than Frieza is just total rape.

I saw the internal production trailer and it looked pretty action packed, but action and effects can't make up for butchering the plot line so..
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
This movie will be garbage and people hoping for it to succeed deserves to be disappointed. Hollywood needs to learn it's lesson, if it bombs, so what? Dragon Ball has come and gone, move on to something better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
This movie will be garbage and people hoping for it to succeed deserves to be disappointed. Hollywood needs to learn it's lesson, if it bombs, so what? Dragon Ball has come and gone, move on to something better.

So says the pre-mature assessment, folks.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
I think all this negativity is pretty premature, as we haven't even seen the movie. I like to withhold judgment of a film until i have at least seen it(with the exception being movies i know are gonna be terrible, like Meet the Spartans etc.) I don't put to much stock in film critics either, as there opinion does not always reflect mine.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Meet the Spartans

That is a case of if you haven't gotten the idea that the Scary Movies weren't even funny, and you still go watch it, then you must have a lot of time on your hands. You would think that after Scary Movie 1-4, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, and whatever else Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer can think of, people would get it that they're NOT FUNNY. Yet people still do, I can't understand that. It's the same brand of humor over and over and over again. Dragon Ball we don't know exactly what's going to come up.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
If they had stuck with an early arc in the Dragonball story, with YOUNG Goku and Krillin (WHERE THE HELL IS KRILLIN?! I MEAN REALLY?!) training for and fighting in their first tournament, THAT could have been a great movie.

Instead, they have a plot-line that completely bastardizes the entire series, creating characters where it sees fit and having him turn into a dinosaur for Super Saiyan form.

Sorry everyone, I can't expect anything but fail from this movie. It looks TERRIBAD.
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
The Oozaru pic is leaked concept art. It's not supposed to represent the final product per se.

http://dragonball.zeldac.com/2008/11/oozaru-photo-not-final/
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

Apparently instead of going super saiyan and turnin' his hair all crazy spiked blond, he transforms into a giant herpes-infected dick.

Saiyans do have another transformation, y'know, not just SSJs.
But growing into the giant monkey (not ape) has to be scary.

Ape =/= STD'd penishead

Dune wrote:
The Oozaru pic is leaked concept art. It's not supposed to represent the final product per se.

http://dragonball.zeldac.com/2008/11/oozaru-photo-not-final/

Oh. So...it's basically gonna be herpes with fuzz.

Super.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
I'm actually interested. Fox has claimed that this movie is going to be one of their top grossing movies for 09, along with Wolverine. So, if they have faith in their own movie like that, I'm assuming that they want to treat it like a blockbuster. Fox has been known for having big blockbusters, though, even if this year was one of their worst years in their history. Anime smile

The fact is that a movie like this can only be judged once all the CGI is in place. Until then, reserve your judgments. Even the promo we saw before was before most of the CGI was in place. And besides, if the supposed "pre-release" reviews like on Ain't it Cool News are right, this movie isn't nearly the nightmare a lot of people make it out to be. If anything, it sounds like the movie supplies the pure essence of Dragonball: epic battles! Anime smile As long as they deliver on that, I'm happy! Anime smile

Plus, James Marsters is a big DBZ fan, from what I hear. Anime smile

Fox can "claim" whatever it wants, it doesn't make it any better. In fact, it's in their best interest to play up how successful the movie will be so that people will rush in to watch it the first weekend. I have certain expectations, and big fights only represent part of it. The "tweaks" that seem to be coming up fill me with doubt.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Again, if FOX is so confident about DB, they should be promoting the flick more, instead of holding back on it for so long. Let's be honest here. The only transforming superhuman most of us will pay to see is the one played by Benicio Del Toro. Rolling Eyes
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
If anything, it sounds like the movie supplies the pure essence of Dragonball

Sweet! Goodness knows I cannot wait to plunk down $10 (plus processing, handling, convenience, and man-handling) for a 90 minute movie where the protagonist gets into a fight 15 minutes in ... and then spends the next hour powering-up while trading verbal spars. All part of Fox's master plan to market this movie as a "chick-flick."
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
I was optimistic that this movie could be decent but after all the promos, trailers, and screen shots I have more doubts about it. It looks terrible in regards to Dragonball. The story, characters, action, and feel of Dragonball doesn't seem to be in it. If it didn't use the name and rights, I would not be so critical of it but they seem to just be polishing a turd and trying to stamp a familiar name on it. I seriously hope I am wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

Saiyans do have another transformation, y'know, not just SSJs.
But growing into the giant monkey (not ape) has to be scary.

Ape =/= STD'd penishead

First of all, as I said, it's not an ape.
Second, when Saiyans start growing into the giant monkey, they don't automagically reappear big and hairy - they first turn ugly then start growing. And yes, ugly as penishead, if that's what it looks to you (though I don't know what that says about your psyche). Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rider: Sorry, dude. Didn't mean to ruin your day. Here's hoping it's at least as passable as the non-Corman Fantastic Four movies.

People have different tastes.
I loved Speed Racer as did my teen.
She loved Dark Knight & saw it 5 times while I could hardly stand once for all the damned flaws.
I'm still willing to wait until the film plays rather than make up my mind before it comes out that it sucks big time.
My god, it's not high art-it's an action movie based on a martial arts/sci fi cartoon. I don't think one can really expect an oscar winning caliber movie out of the deal

Oh, and that pic you all are waving around does look like a transformation shot. I could see it CG enhanced easily with fur to look like an ozaru. Otherwise it looks sort of reptilian.
NExclusive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I think all this negativity is pretty premature, as we haven't even seen the movie. I like to withhold judgment of a film until i have at least seen it(with the exception being movies i know are gonna be terrible, like Meet the Spartans etc.) I don't put to much stock in film critics either, as there opinion does not always reflect mine.

Spoken like a true otaku, we need more fans like you out there
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5