• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Announces Diverse Array of Exciting Animated DVD Releases for Fourth Quarter 2008

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
NANA would be diverse. Honey and Clover would be diverse. This is just more pandering to the same audience.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
NANA would be diverse. Honey and Clover would be diverse. This is just more pandering to the same audience.

I seemed to notice this mostly being more shonen jump and super popular series too. Granted, I'm glad they finally picked up Hunter X Hunter for release, but, while I'm not too big on shojo or josei, it would've been nice if they had put some in there (particularly Honey and Clover as its synopsis interests me the most).
Granted, if you're a shonen jump fan, they're practically catering to you, not necessarily a bad thing, but they shouldn't call it diverse.

And, this might be just me, but I seriously wish they'd stop releasing 26 episode series in 2 dvd box sets. I want the whole thing at once and would prefer to pay less money for it. especialy when they intend to release both part on the same day (like Welcome to the NHK). I was ok with it for GTO, at 39 episodes, and even Death Note at 37, but I want all of Ouran, not half of it. And its why I haven't seen it yet.

Then again, I suppose that they are doing it for Mushi-shi, but they released singles of them. Suppose i'll just have to be patient to wait for whole sets and not half sets then.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
As someone who does generally enjoy shounen series, I'm still miffed at Viz for utterly dumping shows like MAR and Prince of Tennis after dubbing decent chunks of them. I get that these shows probably weren't the most profitable things in the world, but d'you think you could have decided that before starting to dub them and building a fanbase which you left hanging? I really don't feel like having to resort to illegal means to find out what happens down the line in these shows (especially for MAR, whose dub was just about the only reason I was watching it to begin with).
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Honey and Clover is going to be release in the UK in 2009. I suspect that Viz will finally, FINALLY release it here in North America.
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
So much for diverse. Or exciting for that matters.

Bah, nothing good. Start releasing live drama series Viz. I want to own Hana Yori Dango and Hana Kimi. Summer Snow would be wonderful but I doubt that'll ever made it over here....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
As someone who does generally enjoy shounen series, I'm still miffed at Viz for utterly dumping shows like MAR and Prince of Tennis after dubbing decent chunks of them. I get that these shows probably weren't the most profitable things in the world, but d'you think you could have decided that before starting to dub them and building a fanbase which you left hanging?

If they did that, then nobody would go out on a limb and just stick with the tried and safe all the time.

I'd rather companies try than not try at all. Then fans could vote with their wallets than not having the choice at all. If not enough fans voted with their wallets, then so be it - the populace has chosen not to support it. It sucks if the rest of fandom did not vote your way (like what Republicans are feeling right about now), but them's the breaks.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Hah, yeah, seeing "diverse array" in the press release and then seeing them list off all of the same ol' shounen series makes me laugh. Good one, Viz. They certainly don't have the diversity this quarter I would want (once again, where's Full Moon o Sagashite?)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I'd rather companies try than not try at all. Then fans could vote with their wallets than not having the choice at all. If not enough fans voted with their wallets, then so be it - the populace has chosen not to support it. It sucks if the rest of fandom did not vote your way (like what Republicans are feeling right about now), but them's the breaks.

My point was that other companies seem to manage the profitable/not-so-profitable balance fine while continuing to release the latter, whereas Viz seems to leave anything that isn't a big Shounen Jump property either lost in the shadows or completely left by the wayside. FUNi doesn't seem to have any trouble using their big DBZ profits to support more niche titles, nor does Bandai stick solely to Geass/Gurren-level properties. If a company's going to bother to acquire a series, I'd like them to fully commit to doing so, instead of making a halfhearted attempt and dropping it when it (unsurprisingly) doesn't make that much of a splash.

(Of course, what might have killed MAR and PoT to begin with was the utterly asinine way they initially made the jump from the online Jetstream service to the Toonami block proper. Showing only one out of every five episodes for the first few weeks? Yeah, great way to build an audience there.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

My point was that other companies seem to manage the profitable/not-so-profitable balance fine while continuing to release the latter, whereas Viz seems to leave anything that isn't a big Shounen Jump property either lost in the shadows or completely left by the wayside. FUNi doesn't seem to have any trouble using their big DBZ profits to support more niche titles, nor does Bandai stick solely to Geass/Gurren-level properties. If a company's going to bother to acquire a series, I'd like them to fully commit to doing so, instead of making a halfhearted attempt and dropping it when it (unsurprisingly) doesn't make that much of a splash.

But some, like MAR and Prince of Tennis are just too long to be bleeding red. There has to be a point where enough is enough. Even FUNi stopped Kodocha at 52 eps and, unless something drastic happens, the recent boxset of Detective Conan may be the last. They could use the money saved to acquire even more titles. Otherwise, like I said, nobody would take a chance with long series.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
I thought the topic title was intentionally trying to be sarcastic since Viz did give up on Full Moon/Hikaru no Go and has placed classics like Maison Ikkoku and Please Save My Earth out of print in favor of even more shonen adventure series. Diverse doesn't seem to be in their current structure and has even effected their catalog titles.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But some, like MAR and Prince of Tennis are just too long to be bleeding red. There has to be a point where enough is enough. Even FUNi stopped Kodocha at 52 eps and, unless something drastic happens, the recent boxset of Detective Conan may be the last. They could use the money saved to acquire even more titles. Otherwise, like I said, nobody would take a chance with long series.

agree. Viz has said in their shojo beat magazine Honey & clover dub has started though. and monster is coming out later in 2009 . But mar,prince of tennis just don't sell. Hikaru no go is being finished on jetstream i would expect a box set. They could support short niche titles like buso renkin. Mar is just too long unless it sells
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Viz easily with their Naruto/InuYasha/Bleach and Death Note money can support have a few under-performing titles being released in boxsets. Go economy then if the series is tanking, put more episodes in sets for a cheap price. Better then letting your license sit there and expire.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Viz easily with their Naruto/InuYasha/Bleach and Death Note money can support have a few under-performing titles being released in boxsets. Go economy then if the series is tanking, put more episodes in sets for a cheap price. Better then letting your license sit there and expire.

you make a good point but i THINK VIZ IS slowly getting better. They are finishing hikaru no Go, It looks like they're going to finish the remaining episodes of blue dragon. Honey & Clover and Monster coming out in 2009. They at anime con that hikaru no go and full moon may come back in box set form.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Primus wrote:

you make a good point but i THINK VIZ IS slowly getting better. They are finishing hikaru no Go, It looks like they're going to finish the remaining episodes of blue dragon. Honey & Clover and Monster coming out in 2009. They at anime con that hikaru no go and full moon may come back in box set form.

Viz can talk and talk, but until they actually do something, people are still not going to like them. They've licensed series nearly three years ago and haven't gotten more then "We're working on it" for them. They've canceled DVDs of series they released at a snails pace (I believe Full Moon was a quarterly series, meaning one volume every four months...). Then there is their Online-Only series...

And of the R1 companies, they are the only ones who still release Edited Dub-Only DVDs produced in house.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
but only viz europe has liscense to honey and clover. Viz U.S does not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2