• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I find it amusing people are taking little details so seriously in an anime called "Miniskirt Pirates" in Japan and "Bodacious Space Pirates" in America. Its obviously just a cheesy anime where you gotta suspend disbelief.

Technically the light novel series is called "Miniskirt Space Pirates", Moretsu is actually a word that means something equivalent to "hard working" or "gung-ho", or can be read as a general exclamation like "WOW!", from what I have read about the title change, at least. Bodacious fits with that. (And I think that the biggest surprise about the show is how un-cheesy it is.)

However, the complaints about the girls wearing miniskirts in micro-gravity when the source material has miniskirt in the name is a bit silly!

For the record, Velcro is my guess as to how they keep them down... LOL!

I also didn't find Marika's reaction to the news about her father that odd. After my dad died, my wife told me I needed to talk with my kids because they were confused about why I didn't seem more upset about it. I talked with them and told them that it is just the way I deal with things. I can cry over a sentimental scene in an anime, but when something happens in real life, I pretty much just deal with it with very little outward emotion. (I might cry a bit more while watching shows...) So her reaction didn't ring false to me at all.

The girls school having a practice ship for the yacht club that is that large doesn't bother me either. Back when I was in Jr. High, only the very best math students were allowed to take Algebra in 8th grade. The rest of us had to take it in 9th. Now that my kids are that age, Algebra in 8th grade is standard curriculum, and some advanced kids get to take it in 7th. This show takes place several hundred years in the future. I recall an episode of Star Trek: TNG when a kid that was around 8 or so was arguing with his parents about not wanting to study calculus. It stands to reason that top-level prep school in the distant future would have the tools to educate their students and prepare them for life in the galaxy. Learning how to work in space is an important part of that in a space faring society. I also have a hunch that the school was founded by the former captain of the former pirate ship. Smile

dtm42 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But consider that they have a "Yacht Club" at the school in the first place, and as I understand it, real life Yacht Clubs tend to be fairly exclusive things, not something that a typical high school girl can just sign up for.

But Ririka doesn't seem to be especially wealthy. Well-off yes, but rich enough to afford to send her child to the Eton Colleges of her world? Maybe the girl got in through scholarship, but so far there's been no evidence to suggest she did.

Princess_Irene wrote:
So yes, it isn't all that much of a stretch.

Firstly, the Maine Maritime Academy is post-secondary. In other words it teaches adults, not spunky schoolchildren. There is a big difference between it having a ship and a high school having a ship.

Secondly, the ship the high school has is much, much, much larger. It was also once a Q-ship. Even with all the weapons gone you would need a large overhaul to hide this fact.

So the kids get the larger ship. That's not a very good comparison.

Ririka may not seem that wealthy, but she has something that is of extreme value: she is the guardian of the heir to the captaincy of one of the original 7 pirate ships. She may not have told Marika about it, but that doesn't mean other people didn't know. Heck, I think her weapon cache in the garage suggests that the authorities were aware of the "special circumstances" surrounding their family and were willing to look the other way about her having heavy weapons for "self-defense". That probably would also play out in enrollment in an elite school.

Think about it this way: If you told someone in the mid 19th century that in 100 years, there would be vehicles that could go as fast as 100 miles per hour, and kids would be taught to operate them by public schools, they would probably thought you were out of your mind! In Moretsu Pirates, it appears that a "large vessel" space piloting license is roughly equivelent to a chauffer's license now. The teacher having one is enough to allow them to take the ship out. Remember, the girls have already learned to pilot small craft and bring them safely to land. If that is the equivelant of a driver's license, then this isn't really that much of a stretch.

dtm42 wrote:

Theron wrote:
This episode is very much about her learning what it may mean to be a privateer ship captain...

Oh, so now she's a privateer?

Historically, a ship captained by an individual with a Letter of Marque was referred to as a Privateer. The people he attacked called him a Pirate.

Well, it is clear that many opinions differ on what they like in a show. Some don't have the patience to watch shows that have little action and take their time to develop the characters and the setting. I personally love shows like that, as long as they have enough episodes to tell their story. This one is listed as having 26, so it should be safe.

I was really pleased with the 2nd episode of Lagrange. I thought that the mini-Heroic BSOD that Madoka had was well done, and the "Stop your Whining!" delivered by her cousin was quite funny. The fact that the Yuki Nagato clone showed a little emotion was interesting. (And I love her little fist-bump "Woof!" thing!) I think Lagrange might keep me through the first season and maybe even make me eagerly await the 2nd half in July. A big improvement over the first episode, when the biggest question it raised is how Madoka's breasts shrink so much when she puts her jersey on! (I mean, really! In the shower they were flippin' huge, but she looks pretty average in her clothes...)
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
Listen to me Girls ep2

You wanna kill off someone, then don't compress that in just less than ten minutes. Its impossible to buy that. Just because they want to get to the main bout doesn't mean you can kill off characters like that in an instant.

The kids didn't look traumatized enough to make me believe that their parents were dead. I believe we'll come to that but the whole situation was so badly handled that all I could do was facedesk.

And yeah, did they even get buried or are their bodies still yet to be found? Oh yeah, they're still missing and for a reason I believe. The last thing we need is that they recover in some unknown hospital suffering from amnesia, losing all identification and coming back in a year or two when they remember who they are while yelling, "Surprise, we're alive!'

spoiler[
Knight in the Area and Symphogear are other examples where they killed off vital characters in the cheapest and most convenient way possible. This is the third show of the season with death.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The girls school having a practice ship for the yacht club that is that large doesn't bother me either. Back when I was in Jr. High, only the very best math students were allowed to take Algebra in 8th grade. The rest of us had to take it in 9th. Now that my kids are that age, Algebra in 8th grade is standard curriculum, and some advanced kids get to take it in 7th. This show takes place several hundred years in the future. I recall an episode of Star Trek: TNG when a kid that was around 8 or so was arguing with his parents about not wanting to study calculus. It stands to reason that top-level prep school in the distant future would have the tools to educate their students and prepare them for life in the galaxy. Learning how to work in space is an important part of that in a space faring society. I also have a hunch that the school was founded by the former captain of the former pirate ship. Smile

Learning algebra is kind of different from piloting a spaceship.

zensunni wrote:
Ririka may not seem that wealthy, but she has something that is of extreme value: she is the guardian of the heir to the captaincy of one of the original 7 pirate ships. She may not have told Marika about it, but that doesn't mean other people didn't know. Heck, I think her weapon cache in the garage suggests that the authorities were aware of the "special circumstances" surrounding their family and were willing to look the other way about her having heavy weapons for "self-defense". That probably would also play out in enrollment in an elite school.

Yes, she's the heir of an important ship. So where's her bodyguards? Where's the people trying to kidnap her to gain leverage over her father? Hmm? And I don't mean right now, I mean for the last fifteen years of her life. It is apparently no secret to the various organisations about who she is, so I severely doubt they just learnt of her as soon as her father died. They probably knew for a while, so waiting all this time before striking is rather silly. And letting Marika grow up without bodyguards was a stupid idea all-round.

Her mother's weapons are at home (so are useless if they get attacked while at - say - the dentist's) and designed to take out armoured vehicles, not kidnappers. She can't protect her daughter when she's walking home from school or at the movies or whatever, which means every hired thug in the surrounding star systems could have nabbed the daughter of an influential man with contemptuous ease.

zensunni wrote:
Think about it this way: If you told someone in the mid 19th century that in 100 years, there would be vehicles that could go as fast as 100 miles per hour, and kids would be taught to operate them by public schools, they would probably thought you were out of your mind! In Moretsu Pirates, it appears that a "large vessel" space piloting license is roughly equivelent to a chauffer's license now. The teacher having one is enough to allow them to take the ship out. Remember, the girls have already learned to pilot small craft and bring them safely to land. If that is the equivelant of a driver's license, then this isn't really that much of a stretch.

Again, learning how to drive is not the same as learning how to operate a spaceship. Besides, Marika was only training in a simulator (don't forget, she wasn't piloting a real craft in episode one).

Also, the height of her piloting ability is to use the planet's atmosphere to slow herself down, A.K.A. aero-braking. You know, like every real-life spacecraft has done when landing on Earth, ever. Show me something impressive and inventive, don't show me her attempting to do something that happens anyway, whether one intends to do so or not.

zensunni wrote:
Well, it is clear that many opinions differ on what they like in a show. Some don't have the patience to watch shows that have little action and take their time to develop the characters and the setting. I personally love shows like that, as long as they have enough episodes to tell their story. This one is listed as having 26, so it should be safe.

Sounds like you're implying something here.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Only reason I'm watching Brave 10 is for Isanami, since she's adorable. I woulda dropped it if it was just nothing but fujoshi bait. You need the token moeblob if you want to have any kind of appeal outside of fujoshi for an anime like that.

No, I think you can have a series with sexy women that don't make you want to smack them every 5 seconds with a pimp stick and still appeal outside of fujoshi. Also, why should an action/adventure series have anything moe in it? Why can't

Same reason moe series often have the token bishounen. A show like Working! wouldn't have done nearly as well if it didn't have that blonde guy who helped sell it to girls. If you can get extra people to watch something with little effort, why not? Its not like its gonna turn off the girls who like to ship all of these guys together in the first place.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Learning algebra is kind of different from piloting a spaceship.

Methinks you're either missing or deliberately ignoring the point of what zensunni was saying.

Quote:
Yes, she's the heir of an important ship. So where's her bodyguards? Where's the people trying to kidnap her to gain leverage over her father? Hmm? And I don't mean right now, I mean for the last fifteen years of her life. It is apparently no secret to the various organisations about who she is, so I severely doubt they just learnt of her as soon as her father died. They probably knew for a while, so waiting all this time before striking is rather silly. And letting Marika grow up without bodyguards was a stupid idea all-round.

Her mother's weapons are at home (so are useless if they get attacked while at - say - the dentist's) and designed to take out armoured vehicles, not kidnappers. She can't protect her daughter when she's walking home from school or at the movies or whatever, which means every hired thug in the surrounding star systems could have nabbed the daughter of an influential man with contemptuous ease.

You do have a point on some of this, but this degree of nitpicking could be applied to just about any anime series (other than pure slice-of-life series) ever made to tear that series' logical structure down, and that includes your beloved RahXephon. So, again, why get so hung up over it here?

Besides, there are other explanations for some of it. For instance, this could be a case where Marika was raised completely incognito for many years (save perhaps for one or two people in authority knowing about her) and her real identity has only recently become known to certain parties (see Scrapped Princess), or this could be a case where she was long watched from afar but attention and security are tightening around her now that her rise to prominence is imminent. We just don't know the full details here, so I see it as pointless to dwell too long on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
You wanna kill off someone, then don't compress that in just less than ten minutes. Its impossible to buy that. Just because they want to get to the main bout doesn't mean you can kill off characters like that in an instant.

What, did you expect them to dedicate a few episodes to developing the parents or something? Since the show is only going to be 13 episodes there isn't really time for that. Besides that's how it works in real life. Everything's all happy and fine one moment by the next you learn some one important to you died suddenly.

vinamara wrote:
The kids didn't look traumatized enough to make me believe that their parents were dead. I believe we'll come to that but the whole situation was so badly handled that all I could do was facedesk.

Everyone shows grief in different ways. Some do it by crying their eyes out, some do it by acting numb. There's no real standard you can hold to it. In this case, though, the older girls and Yuuta are holding in most of it namely for Hina's sake. She's 3 and doesn't understand the gravity of the situation so they have to act strong for her sake.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Listen to me Girls ep2

And yeah, did they even get buried or are their bodies still yet to be found? Oh yeah, they're still missing and for a reason I believe. The last thing we need is that they recover in some unknown hospital suffering from amnesia, losing all identification and coming back in a year or two when they remember who they are while yelling, "Surprise, we're alive!'

spoiler[
Knight in the Area and Symphogear are other examples where they killed off vital characters in the cheapest and most convenient way possible. This is the third show of the season with death.]

at least it tried to do something, I think the girls where in shock enough however be split up after their parents "died or went missing remember there are no bodies but they are just assumed dead". I know that it wasn't handled in the best way possible however for them to at least try in this genre of anime I sill have to give them props for doing it. This isn't a key/visual arts or drama/shoujo series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
What, did you expect them to dedicate a few episodes to developing the parents or something? Since the show is only going to be 13 episodes there isn't really time for that. Besides that's how it works in real life. Everything's all happy and fine one moment by the next you learn some one important to you died suddenly.

Everyone shows grief in different ways. Some do it by crying their eyes out, some do it by acting numb. There's no real standard you can hold to it. In this case, though, the older girls and Yuuta are holding in most of it namely for Hina's sake. She's 3 and doesn't understand the gravity of the situation so they have to act strong for her sake.

Doesn't mean that you could just rush through it haphazardly. 13 episodes isn't a good enough excuse for that. If they want people to be invested in that incident emotionally they could've done better. Their sudden departure could've been better followed by a well executed aftermath. The viewer has hardly been given any time to cope up with the sudden twist, and before the whole thing could sink in, the episode was over.

Its like a major incident was swiftly swept under the rug.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
The viewer has hardly been given any time to cope up with the sudden twist, and before the whole thing could sink in, the episode was over.

Again, just like in life. Look at it from the characters' perspective. Their parents suddenly go missing, then they're told they'll be separated, and now they're going to live with their uncle. I'm sure these developments feel rushed and sudden to them too but that's just how it goes. Sometimes life doesn't give us time to breathe.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
vinamara wrote:
The viewer has hardly been given any time to cope up with the sudden twist, and before the whole thing could sink in, the episode was over.

Again, just like in life. Look at it from the characters' perspective. Their parents suddenly go missing, then they're told they'll be separated, and now they're going to live with their uncle. I'm sure these developments feel rushed and sudden to them too but that's just how it goes. Sometimes life doesn't give us time to breathe.

I'd very much like to view from their perspective but I believe that we haven't been given enough time to bond with any of the characters. Yuuta just plays around them in the first half.

But if you were truly moved by what happened then I'll give in and won't argue.

Regardless, if they do innocuously proceed with the show as slice of life from start to the end and not like some vaunted ecchi show then I'm pretty sure we can get attached to them and we'll feel for them eventually. (Obviously, Usagi Drop comes to mind.)

From the looks of it, the show doesn't seem like it'll be devoid of ecchi, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a couple of more episodes.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Doesn't mean that you could just rush through it haphazardly. 13 episodes isn't a good enough excuse for that. If they want people to be invested in that incident emotionally they could've done better. Their sudden departure could've been better followed by a well executed aftermath. The viewer has hardly been given any time to cope up with the sudden twist, and before the whole thing could sink in, the episode was over.

Its like a major incident was swiftly swept under the rug.

Guess I'm also lost here on how this is all getting "swept under the rug." For an early-series development, I felt that part had sufficient (though admittedly not exceptional) impact and adequate time to sink in. You don't need tons of time to pull of reactions like that, as Cross Game showed quite emphatically. Besides, the aftermath will be ongoing as the series progresses, as was the case with CG.

Personally, I am now very curious to see how the next episode gets handled and will certainly be watching it. Along with BSP, this is increasingly looking like one of my other 1-2 keepers for the new season.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Guess I'm also lost here on how this is all getting "swept under the rug." For an early-series development, I felt that part had sufficient (though admittedly not exceptional) impact and adequate time to sink in. You don't need tons of time to pull of reactions like that, as Cross Game showed quite emphatically. Besides, the aftermath will be ongoing as the series progresses, as was the case with CG.

Personally, I am now very curious to see how the next episode gets handled and will certainly be watching it. Along with BSP, this is increasingly looking like one of my other 1-2 keepers for the new season.

I totally agree with you there. I've seen Angel Beats pull that off. Its all in the storytelling technique and its execution. Every back story in Angel Beats touched my heart because it was beautifully executed.

This series did not, at least it didn't win me over, unlike Angel Beats, which trumped me in two episodes.

That is why, I don't want to think rationally here and say that it was well done and that the so-called Houdini act was like a jack-in-the-box that caught me off-guard.

I did not get emotional and was like what the hell happened the whole time. I want the series to lead me. I don't want to rationalize various aspects and say it had all the right ingredients and was logically faultless.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
I totally agree with you there. I've seen Angel Beats pull that off. Its all in the storytelling technique and its execution. Every back story in Angel Beats touched my heart because it was beautifully executed.

I'm surprised you would admit this in public. Anyone who was touched by the absolute farce that was Yuri's backstory really . . . really . . . hmm. I don't know how to put this without being impolite, so all I'll say is that it was not well executed at all. They came up with the most contrived and ridiculous and moronic backstory ever and laid it on as thick as possible, held a huge sign above it with flashing neon lights which said <==DRAMA, and then were like "ARE YOU TOUCHED YET?! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE TOUCHING!!"

Yeah, that ham-fisted directing is called 'fail'.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The parents going missing is basically the entire premise of Listen to me Girls, so maybe it's just hard for me to look at it from the perspective of someone who didn't know it was happening.

Like, if you were telling someone about the show, I wouldn't consider it a spoiler really. I was surprised they didn't do it in episode 1, actually.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
The parents going missing is basically the entire premise of Listen to me Girls, so maybe it's just hard for me to look at it from the perspective of someone who didn't know it was happening.

Like, if you were telling someone about the show, I wouldn't consider it a spoiler really. I was surprised they didn't do it in episode 1, actually.

Yeah, they could've taken care of that in episode one without wasting time on trivialities. Dunno why they did that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 54