• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legal Question About Digital Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering about this for a while, but can't seem to find a clear answer: when publishers like JManga license a series, do they only obtain the digital rights to their licenses? So, will another publisher like Yen Press be able to still license that same series for print? Or does JManga retain the printing rights as well?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
JManga's been "looking into" print-on-demand, so there's no telling.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Print and digital rights are two separate license fees. So it is possible for other pubs to have one of each... This was the case for Stargazing Dog and Town of Evening Calm (maybe also girlfriends as the timing sure looks like Seven Seas negotiated that before the JManga announcement).

However in both those cases the print version was sold and JManga then released the initial version. Meaning that the print pub either passed on their digital options or were not given the option to begin with (the first is very highly likely since the publishers have practically no digital comics presence).

In the case of most JManga titles they, JManga, have first option. Meaning no one else will likely try to break up the license as a matter of principle and ethics. So they, JManga, could easily pay for print rights if they are available. Whether, they have the staffing, cash and distribution connections to do so is a bigger question.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought with JManga they got most of their stuff by a lot of companies giving them titles with no cost? Like, everyone gets their money with how well the title sells.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, JManga's owned by the Digital Comics Association. Between that and licensing agreements being kept under wraps, there's really no telling.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Well, I know that's how DMG works, everyone gets paid with how well the title sells. I think it's a nice little way to make everyone happy in the end and the company in charge doesn't take a huge risk with a title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1