• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senki Zesshō Symphogear (TV) (5 seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The new antagonists are pretty badass. We got one girl with a deadly sword, a dangerous blue girl who can kill with a kiss, and then that weird witch girl who seems to be their leader with big plans.

Killing with a kiss seems to be something all the robo girls have in common.

So is it gonna be obligatory for any future seasons to have the new antagonist invoke a perviously never mentioned trauma in Hibiki? She mentioned earlier she doesn't have a dad but that never appeared to be an issue for her before.

The new transformation scenes are okay, but I think they're a step down from G's.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So is it gonna be obligatory for any future seasons to have the new antagonist invoke a perviously never mentioned trauma in Hibiki? She mentioned earlier she doesn't have a dad but that never appeared to be an issue for her before.

It did seem to come out nowhere, but it is always good to have her more developed. Although with such a large cast, and I think some resolutions from last season I don't know how likely it is to see dark Hibiki, which was one of the coolest parts.

Anyway, things are set up, things don't look good for our three main heroines. I wonder when we will also have the other three change also, OP shows them all so not too afraid that their powers are stopped.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although with such a large cast, and I think some resolutions from last season I don't know how likely it is to see dark Hibiki, which was one of the coolest parts.

I'm sure whatever's in the box Elfnein is carrying will give Hibiki an upgrade (making her look as she does in the logo). Maybe that'll make her go berserk until she can control it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Beef Straganoff, that was amusing, lol.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Not going to lie, that cooking montage song is still kinda in my head these last few hours. (from the latest episode 3 for the third season)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
That was pretty random, but I guess their school is a music school. Maybe they had to do that for marks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Happy to get some Kirika and Shirabe, well especially Kirika. Also homunculi and fractions.

I am going to have a hard time feeling the villain could be redeemed, she might have a terrible past and be a cute loli, but it is clear she has already pushed up a big body count to power up her dolls. I will say that there are some pretty cool aesthetics with the dolls in how they move, makes me think of a music box with the dancers that spin.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The beef stroganoff song was amazing! It caught me off guard, because it was pretty weird, even by Symphogear standards.

As for the object in the box that is apparently Dain's legacy, according to my vague sources on the mythology (mostly from other ficiton referencing it), spoiler[Dain is associated with Gungnir, so I think Hibiki is going to get a powerup from that.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Dainsleif is a legendary sword that, if drawn, means some one will be slain no matter what. Would be interesting if Hibiki had to rely on such a power.

But right now I gotta say Hibiki's conflict seems so forced. What happened in G wasn't that great either (how does helping people without knowing suffering hypocritical?) but this is even worse. Hibiki's always had a "talk first, use fists if necessary" policy before so why is she only now worried about hurting people?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

But right now I gotta say Hibiki's conflict seems so forced. What happened in G wasn't that great either (how does helping people without knowing suffering hypocritical?) but this is even worse. Hibiki's always had a "talk first, use fists if necessary" policy before so why is she only now worried about hurting people?

The series has been poking at trends in action oriented anime tropes, Hibiki's character dev is certainly not outside such territory for better or worst.
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

It did seem to come out nowhere, but it is always good to have her more developed. Although with such a large cast, and I think some resolutions from last season I don't know how likely it is to see dark Hibiki, which was one of the coolest parts.

Anyway, things are set up, things don't look good for our three main heroines. I wonder when we will also have the other three change also, OP shows them all so not too afraid that their powers are stopped.

Dark Hibiki is literally in the logo for GX
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
GX episode 4:

Poor Maria.

Seems like she and the others aren't making much progress against their enemies.

The part about the Ignite Project this episode was interesting though. I still hope they find out their enemies' true weakness. Hibiki also seems to be in a bit of trouble. Those eyes at the end of this episode almost had a death-like state...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 4

We got Maria using Gugnir, which really was kind of cool to watch in its own. Hibiki really going through a crisis, but her glorious return was indeed glorious. But she lost, things got quite serious. Well at the least it can only go up from here, right?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Hibiki also seems to be in a bit of trouble. Those eyes at the end of this episode almost had a death-like state...

I dunno, they already tried a similar angle last series, and she made it out there. I have what could be two possible theories to this though:

The first would be that the production staff are using this as a fake out, to make it seem like things have gone from bad to worse and will come up with something to keep her alive or something along those lines.

The second would be that the producers made the intro to hide what could be a dramatic plot twist (Hibiki actually biting it). And this may end up happening to the others somewhere down the line.

After all, it's been shown that none of the girls can outlast the dolls in battle, so who knows? I still don't get why they (the dolls, I mean) just can't try and kill them when not powered up though. It'd make their job easier.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Double post, but since it's over a week since the last one, whatever.

Episode 5
Well, seems like I was completely wrong about Hibiki's fate last time, wasn't I? Also, we finally get to see the upgrades outside the intro for the first time. Whether or not it matters in the long run, we'll have to see, I guess.

And speaking of, are they ever going to explain why the dolls can't just simply kill the Gear wielders? Is it because they don't feel like it? Or is it some behind-the-scenes BS where its in the clause of the entire cast that their characters (baring really minor ones, like army guys) can't get killed off? If so, that does explain why no one important from either side can kill each other, kinda.

Still annoyed though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13