• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The word "Bodacious" was never mean boobs. It's 1980's slang like "Awesome" or "Radical".

It means remarkable, noteworthy. But it also means voluptuous, which of course stems from the first meaning, as in 'remarkable breasts'.

Words can mean more than one thing. Do not invoke the awesomeness that is Inigo Montoya when you do not realise such a simple fact.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Bodacious was always meant to mean 80's slang for awesome. It's just today the word has been use describing breasts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Now you're just trolling. A simple Google search tells me that the first known use was in 1832 (although another source claims 1835), and that the word is a portmanteau of 'bold' and 'audacious'.

The more you know.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
A portmanteau you say? This thread is turning into a Reader's Digest "It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power." Or as 504NOSON2 might style it in one of his(?) habitual vernacular eschewments (<-not a real word, but it should be); a veritable cornucopia of etymological munificence of which the benighted hoi polloi remain blissfully nescient. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, let's put this myth of bodacious being an inappropriate adjective to rest once and for all, shall we? From dictionary.com

Quote:
bo·da·cious
   [boh-dey-shuhs] Show IPA
adjective
South Midland and Southern U.S. thorough; blatant; unmistakable: a bodacious gossip.
Slang .
a.
remarkable; outstanding: a bodacious story.
b.
audacious; bold or brazen.
c.
sexy; voluptuous.

And after eppie 2's thrilling ... cyber warfare ... incident - a sequence so fraught with nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat excitement that I almost messed my pants - I think we can all agree that bodacious is an absolutely 100% accurate description of this, one could argue, perhaps too rigorously paced epic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think I agree with you Blood-, she totally should have got into a gun fight by now. She has next no experience with conflict, weapons, makeing combat worthy decisions, what is the deal with having her work up with cyber warfare.

I doubt controling a hightech space ship that that relies on it's computer micro-adjustments for many things, and the chance of any amount of weak points, would need any focus on the importance of cyber warfare. She should get awesome already, what is she some kind of highschool girl?

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Nay, nay, nay DuskyPredator my good spelling-challenged man. Oh some Philistines and a few Filipinos might argue that the cyber warfare extravaganza was a little underwhelming in the goosebumps department, but surely you were emotionally devastated by the reams and reams of character development on display???
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Character development? Can't stand it, going into this I was expecting that she only putting on the act, and preparing for her pirate career, dressing as a maide only so she greatly the weakness of men. The fact she did not cry evident that she already had an agent aboared the crew that poisoned her father, that being all the evidence that from the begining she is a cut throat pirate.

Instead we have mummy shareing her past with her daughter, they could have totally skipped over that with her just decideing to get on her ship so we don't have to get a thorough look at her previous life which is not being a pirate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Exactly!

Wait, what?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I think that's entirely enough of that, you two. Your complaints about the series' pacing are already well-registered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
The dictionary definition of bodacious may make sense as a somewhat interpretative translation of mōretsu and that might be why the Japanese producers chose it, but in actual use, which I think is ultimately the best arbiter of meaning, it ends up being silly to modern English speakers. The word is little used and seldom, if ever, as the dictionary might prescribe. Not that I really mind that inadvertent silliness; it feels like an affectionate nickname.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
There I dealt with it.

There there, denial is just one of the stages of grief. You'll get through this.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah. I think that's entirely enough of that, you two. Your complaints about the series' pacing are already well-registered.

Oh sure, deprive me of my new favourite source of easy sarcasm. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Wait, I was complaining about the pacing, was my sarcasm not strong enough that it was not clear that I was taking jabs at people who were complaining about it being too slow. To be honest I almost actualy started to belive my own bullshit about an alternate interpretation of the MC.

I wonder if I could work my sarcasm into the Another thread.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
If it is helpful at all, DP, I have to confess I had absolutely no idea what your point was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Points are for people who want to compare highscores, I prefer just to play punishment games.

I like the pace it is going at the moment, although you can easily say that nowdays crimes and attacks can be largely done online, in future a battle of information could be even more important.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
There there, denial is just one of the stages of grief. You'll get through this.

I don't have a problem with the name but if you want to act like I do then I'll play along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 27