• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotlight: Princess Resurrection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Princess Ressurection can even be remotely compared to Magikano, Maburaho, or any other such harem show. The violence level is way too high.

That being said, ADV signed it's death note (every pun intended) when it licensed Clannad. This is a much better license; that being said, that doesn't make this show a winner, it just makes it better than the crap known as Clannad. ADV really needs to find a good winner; how about Mnemosyne? I'd buy that in a instant!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
What the hell was this?

An info-mercial article?

Who is Jason Green, the author?... He's not listed on the staff page.

This was put into the "spotlight" article category but reads like a paid-for advertisement written by PR people.
There's nothing wrong with companies using the site to promote their shows, as the current Higurashi banner proves, but this "article" is not marked in any way as advertising, nor is it a "review" of any sort. It's this type of line-blurring that is dangerous for any site that claims to be an impartial news source.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
What the hell was this?

An info-mercial article?

This was put into the "spotlight" article category but reads like a paid-for advertisement written by PR people.
There's nothing wrong with companies using the site to promote their shows, as the current Higurashi banner proves, but this "article" is not marked in any way as advertising, nor is it a "review" of any sort. It's this type of line-blurring that is dangerous for any site that claims to be an impartial news source.

Jason Green is currently writing features for us. He wrote the Gurren-Lagann feature we ran last month. He has also written extensively for Protoculture Addicts.

This is a very standard sort of article; an introduction to the show, who made it, and what you might expect from it. It is nonpartisan, simply an introduction to the series.

This is, at its core, a magazine-style feature. It profiles a show, and that's it. It's absolutely no different from the "preview" features you read in any major video game (or anime or movie) publications, online or in print.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:
What the hell was this?

An info-mercial article?

Jason Green is currently writing features for us. He wrote the Gurren-Lagann feature we ran last month. He has also written extensively for Protoculture Addicts.

This is a very standard sort of article; an introduction to the show, who made it, and what you might expect from it. It is nonpartisan, simply an introduction to the series.

This is, at its core, a magazine-style feature. It profiles a show, and that's it. It's absolutely no different from the "preview" features you read in any major video game (or anime or movie) publications, online or in print.

Okay, well, I'll take your word for it. I still feel like it reads like a PR piece sent out by the company. The last line, especially:
Quote:

If you like your horror served up with just a little bit of a lighter side, be sure to keep an eye out for Princess Resurrection when it arrives this Spring.

The Gurren Lagann piece was a lot better IMO. Even though it was clearly a feature it had a lot of research and interesting info about the origins of the show that made it worthwhile to read. This feature, however, contains nothing other than a (glowing) description of the show itself and a bunch of information that ANN already reported.
If you had included an interview or some kind of new information it would make it seem a lot less like a purely promotional piece.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

The Gurren Lagann piece was a lot better IMO. Even though it was clearly a feature it had a lot of research and interesting info about the origins of the show that made it worthwhile to read. This feature, however, contains nothing other than a (glowing) description of the show itself and a bunch of information that ANN already reported.
If you had included an interview or some kind of new information it would make it seem a lot less like a purely promotional piece.

That's actually very constructive and helpful criticism and I will be keeping that mind next time we do one of these.

And, in spite of my reputation, I am not being sarcastic. You made some very good points here.
JaxsonJaguar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Okay I decided to read the forum posts on this to see what the early buzz was for this show and I must say some of you are harsh. But then this is an anime forum after all.

Since I am a former amature anime reviewer I'll give this show a chance. I'll catch it either on ADV's website and/or on TV to get an initial feel, then when the DVD comes out I'll give it a rent and watch both language tracks so I can come to my own conclusions about the show.

I personally like ADV, (even though I have no desire to watch Clanned, not my cup of tea) and I hope to see them make a come back.
Uthred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The show is quite entertaining in a light hearted way. It was never trying to be a "scary" horror show, the horror is clearly window dressing for the series. That being said if your familiar with classic (and at times obscure) horror tropes then the series becomes much more entertaining, if you arent then a lot of the cleverer humour will be lost on you. Personally I found it worth watching just for the "re-interpretation" of Deep Ones.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the anime isn't on par with the manga (though I forget the last time I didn't hear that from the fandom) but I'm getting this one. The manga is a fun series and I've been very curious about the anime. If I find myself wanting to gouge the optical orbs, I'll stop. (Save my money for Clannad.)
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Uh, wow. It's deliciously ironic to see a feature for this so 'glowing' when both the anime and manga had been slammed heavily elsewhere on ANN. (the manga in Right Turn Only or perhaps a review (I cant remember),and the anime in a new anime season preview guide)
Naturally after reading both of those reviews on the same site it was very hard to take this seriously at all.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:

That being said, ADV signed it's death note (every pun intended) when it licensed Clannad. This is a much better license; that being said, that doesn't make this show a winner, it just makes it better than the crap known as Clannad.

and the quite massive Clannad fan following including the many people waiting to buy it (myself included) disaggree with you. I really don't understand why people conclude something is or will be a failure based on nothing else than "I (a single person) didn't like it." Learn to think and observe people.

championferret wrote:
Uh, wow. It's deliciously ironic to see a feature for this so 'glowing' when both the anime and manga had been slammed heavily elsewhere on ANN. (the manga in Right Turn Only or perhaps a review (I can't remember),and the anime in a new anime season preview guide)
Naturally after reading both of those reviews on the same site it was very hard to take this seriously at all.

Uh, its called different reviewers dude. Its not ironic that this guy had a different opinion than the ones who reviewed the manga and anime back then, its called diverse opinion. Go read the different reviews in the last preview guide and tell me there's no shows there that aren't "slammed" by one person while "glorified" by another. Even between the Shelf Life and regular reviews there's shows that get contrasting reviews, is that "ironic" as well? The ANN staff are not going to have the same opinion on everything, there's no golden rule like that. Sheesh...

Now that I got that out of the way...
They're going to be putting up free episodes (as in more than one), so I'm still checking it out. Even that "glowing" description the article gave tells me that this show will be mindless, farcical fun at best, so in the end, I see no harm in giving it a shot. Plus, the last time they did one of these with an ADV release and countless people swarmed in to bash the show (Coyote Ragtime Show) I ended up liking it quite a bit Razz .
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
all right, i've seen the series and was always hopeing it would come out. looks like that is true, time to start collecting them when it gets released.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
abstract-alchemist wrote:

That being said, ADV signed it's death note (every pun intended) when it licensed Clannad. This is a much better license; that being said, that doesn't make this show a winner, it just makes it better than the crap known as Clannad.

and the quite massive Clannad fan following including the many people waiting to buy it (myself included) disaggree with you. I really don't understand why people conclude something is or will be a failure based on nothing else than "I (a single person) didn't like it." Learn to think and observe people.

That's right. Because a wiser person would see a stampede of animals and quickly move out of the way. And in this case, with Clannad; a bunch of lemmings heading for some watery tomb.

Honestly. What's so great about beating up weak guys who can't fight back; I'll never know. Rolling Eyes
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Uh, its called different reviewers dude. Its not ironic that this guy had a different opinion than the ones who reviewed the manga and anime back then, its called diverse opinion. Go read the different reviews in the last preview guide and tell me there's no shows there that aren't "slammed" by one person while "glorified" by another. Even between the Shelf Life and regular reviews there's shows that get contrasting reviews, is that "ironic" as well? The ANN staff are not going to have the same opinion on everything, there's no golden rule like that. Sheesh...

I'm well aware what 'different reviews' means. What I meant was, this thing here isnt a review, but in the cases where these series -were- reviewed in a 'review context', it got slammed. What is ironic is that the only place on ANN I haven't seen this series slammed is what looks like a propaganda press-release thing.

...oh and Tyrenol, the fact that you are still parroting your misiformed crap about Clannad is depressing as ever. I still dont know why you think its about 'beating up weak guys who dont fight back' when a) said character is not the main character in the first place and b)He brings it on himself which could be called 'fighting back in advance'. I dont see why you think your retarded proganda has any place in a thread that has absolutley nothing to di with Clannad, though.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...oh and Tyrenol, the fact that you are still parroting your misiformed crap about Clannad is depressing as ever. I still don't know why you think its about 'beating up weak guys who don't fight back' when a) said character is not the main character in the first place and b)He brings it on himself which could be called 'fighting back in advance'. I don't see why you think your retarded proganda has any place in a thread that has absolutley nothing to di with Clannad, though.

But this is not just about Clannad. This is mostly the whole Japanese anime industry, and mainly the "late night anime" and the visual novels. They're afraid of doing anything different and non-cliche in that regards.

If "more of the same" is your cup of tea, so be it. But I won't be silent about it.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, I would be Jason Green, the guy who wrote this article. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, sameulp and championferret.

I don't know that i can add much more than what Zac said that this was meant more as an informational piece and an introduction to the show/franchise for people not familiar with it....it was not meant as a review. I've re-read it several times, and while I still can't see where this article qualifies as "glowing" (other than calling the character designer "skillful" and the "if you like this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you'll like"-style last sentence, it's strictly informational), the point is it's NOT supposed to come off as glowing. Something for me to keep an eye on in the future. Again, thanks for the comments!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3