• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Back And Hopefully Better

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
I did not say that Fruit's Basket didn't have character development, I said that it's character development was unrealistic. I'm sorry, but there were definetly examples in that show where a character reformed entire ways of thinking and behaving in a single episode (I point specifically at the episode with the monkey zodiac. Sadly, I can't remember his name...). Now, if Tohru had spent, say, three to six volumes reforming someone's behavior, I'm okay with that, and that would be realistic character development. And in the case of Kyo and Yuki, it is realistic. But not in the case of most of the rest of the characters. With many of them, it just looked completely contrived.

Monkey = Ritsu

Come on now, if they had made Tohru spend that long on "reformation" the series would've TAKEN FOREVER. Anime isn't made to be exactly realistic. Fruits Basket does a good job of accomplishing what it's setting out to do - show a large group of characters whose lives are affected by one person.

Quote:
.....are we talking about the same artist here?

Seriously, it depends on how you look at it. IF you're saying that having big eyes and looking kind of cute is making her unoriginal, I guess that makes sense. But let's say I look at the art of Slayers, Tenchi Muyo! and Prince of Tennis...well, those all look pretty darn similar to me. Tachikawa's characters have very unique looking eyes, and they have much more rounded faces than other characters. The way she draws hair is also much different than either the artist of Da Da Da or Kodocha. Kodocha's characters have very differently shaped faces, and their hair is much stringier.

Ok. We're getting into pure opinion right now. Going back to your original rant. I still don't see where I slammed ALL of her artwork based on looks. I commented more layout and the fact that it was light. As far as opinion goes...you can argue all you want, but everyone has different preferences.

And if you want to talk about generic, let's talk about Takahashi...

Quote:
All of these have alternate universes, but the ones that I have read (which is most of them) do not have DREAM universes, sans PSME. You can't really fault Dream Saga for having alternate universes without sticking your foot in your mouth, because then you're also faulting InuYasha, Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi, which are well-beloved series. I'm not sure that was really your point anyway (lianncoop, anyway) But I thought the idea of dreams was more the point of the originality than the idea of going to an alternate universe.

Even if we throw away the idea of dreams as being unique enough to be considered orginal, I would like to mention that I also find the idea of the dual-identity very original. The idea that people have "other selves" that exist when they sleep at night but who might be very different people with similar traits is not something I've really heard of before. The closest I've seen is "Hime-chan no Ribon", and in that case, they were simply unrelated doubles instead of the same person unaware of a dual existence.

Ok. I'll go with you on the one person sleeping while being awake in an alternate reality is somewhat "original." Already mentioned PSME, but Desert Coral is another one with that concept.

However, I didn't fault Dream Saga for being "unoriginal," I just said it was predictable. Most shoujo are predictable, though.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Come on now, if they had made Tohru spend that long on "reformation" the series would've TAKEN FOREVER. Anime isn't made to be exactly realistic. Fruits Basket does a good job of accomplishing what it's setting out to do - show a large group of characters whose lives are affected by one person.

Yeah, I was thinking of manga when we were in an anime discussion. Later I changed it to "two to four" (which is much more reasonable for an anime series.) I would expect three to six for a manga series (and many manga series do spend that much time developing one character) and two to four for an anime. Depending on how many characters and the nature of the interaction.

Hell, in the case of Ritsu, I think I might have been content with four episodes.

Quote:

Ok. We're getting into pure opinion right now. Going back to your original rant. I still don't see where I slammed ALL of her artwork based on looks. I commented more layout and the fact that it was light. As far as opinion goes...you can argue all you want, but everyone has different preferences.

And if you want to talk about generic, let's talk about Takahashi...

You know, saying that really made my day. I've thought that forever, but I don't mention it because the Takahashi fans would rip my throat out.

Anyway, more in topic, you didn't slam Dream Saga by a long shot. But I do get sick of seeing people rat on everything that I like all the time (Megumi Tachikawa included) and laud everything I hate.

I think the most bitter example of this was when animeondvd.com gave one of my all-time favorite anime, 12 Kingdoms, a B--and gave my least favorite anime of all time, Lain, an A. I mean, if this was a once in a while thing, I don't think I'd be so upset. But after awhile I get sick of seeing series I hate getting great reviews and ones I like getting railed on.

Quote:

However, I didn't fault Dream Saga for being "unoriginal," I just said it was predictable. Most shoujo are predictable, though.

Hell, most anime is predictable. Hell, most everything is, as far as film goes.

Of course, sometimes not being predictable isn't always a good thing. At least as far as Lain is concerned...*grumbles*

Last edited by sailor_titan on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:36 am Reply with quote
*lianncoop is confused by Sailor_titan's latest post*
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Edited. Sorry. hit "submit" too soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
You know, saying that really made my day. I've thought that forever, but I don't mention it because the Takahashi fans would rip my throat out.

Anyway, more in topic, you didn't slam Dream Saga by a long shot. But I do get sick of seeing people rat on everything that I like all the time (Megumi Tachikawa included) and laud everything I hate.

I think the most bitter example of this was when animeondvd.com gave one of my all-time favorite anime, 12 Kingdoms, a B--and gave my least favorite anime of all time, Lain, an A. I mean, if this was a once in a while thing, I don't think I'd be so upset. But after awhile I get sick of seeing series I hate getting great reviews and ones I like getting railed on.

Well, everyone has their own opinions. If you're a fan of something, you'll buy it anyway. As far as people reading reviews of things to decide if they want to buy it or not (concerning my column), I thought Dream Saga was a hit or miss thing. Who knows, someone could read my review and decide to check it out and love it.

As far as Lain goes...it was one of those series that people either liked or didn't. Kind of like Ghost in the Shell. I didn't like it much, but it seems like everyone else does. But, it's just my opinion, and I can handle that.

I appreciate the feedback, sailor_titan, but I'd be so happy if you'd also include some constructive criticism for my column rather than just saying you just disagree with what I write about favorite series.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback, sailor_titan, but I'd be so happy if you'd also include some constructive criticism for my column rather than just saying you just disagree with what I write about favorite series.

I think more than anything I just really needed somewhere to disagree. Honestly, I guess I was hoping someone would pipe up and say "Yeah, I like Dream Saga too!" ;-P

You run a good column, and I think you probably run one the best one on this site, except for maybe Shelf Life.

But I do wish there was a column where somewhere (not even necessarily on this site) where I saw someone diss Evangelion and Lain and laud Twelve Kingdoms and Megumi Tachikawa. ._.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
Quote:

I think more than anything I just really needed somewhere to disagree. Honestly, I guess I was hoping someone would pipe up and say "Yeah, I like Dream Saga too!" ;-P

You run a good column, and I think you probably run one the best one on this site, except for maybe Shelf Life.

Thanks Sailor_titan. It's good to have any criticism, I suppose. Lets me know people are reading. :p
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
I wasn't talking about shoujo anime, for one, I was talking about mahou shoujo anime. And even throwing that aside, Shamanic Princess has nothing to do with dream worlds. Can't speak for X/1999. and continuing on that theme...
I list one anime and you automatically cross out my first two examples? X/1999 Relies heavily on the dream world with the possible future being revealed to the dream seers in it. It also has your magical girls. Sailor Moon gets into the dream world quite a bit as well in the anime and manga version of SuperS. Also, you claim that Shamanic Princess has nothing to do with dream worlds. Sorry, but no. A large portion of the OAV takes place in Tiara's dreams where she's talking with Sara.

sailor_titan wrote:
.....are we talking about the same artist here?

Seriously, it depends on how you look at it. IF you're saying that having big eyes and looking kind of cute is making her unoriginal, I guess that makes sense. But let's say I look at the art of Slayers, Tenchi Muyo! and Prince of Tennis...well, those all look pretty darn similar to me. Tachikawa's characters have very unique looking eyes, and they have much more rounded faces than other characters. The way she draws hair is also much different than either the artist of Da Da Da or Kodocha. Kodocha's characters have very differently shaped faces, and their hair is much stringier.

Now, Nao Yawaza has very generic art. I still love "Wedding Peach", and I do like her art, but I don't think it's unique looking like Tachikawa's art is.

Regardless, saying "all Ribon/Nakayoshi art is alike" is pretty much akin to saying "all Shounen Jump art is alike". Sure, maybe, but on what level? And who are we comparing to?

I already gave you my list of Ribon/Nakayoshi artist I was comparing to. Manga such as Da Da Da!, Kodocha, 13 Nichi, ect. All have very smilar character designs void of any real detail. I find myself capable of seperating drawing styles between manga artist with no problem, no problem that is untill I come across the kiddie-shoujo style, and that's when I become stumped with the generic cutesy curvy style. Most artist have something that makes their style stand out from others, but with artist such as Tachikawa I see nothing. Don't try telling me I'm not looking at them with an artistic eye.

You can try and say that all the shonen-jump art looks the same, but in fact all the shonen-jump artist I've seen have very unique styles that I'd have to be practically blind to mix up with other styles. If you want, I can post examples of the art styles I'm talking about, and the ones under question.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I list one anime and you automatically cross out my first two examples? X/1999 Relies heavily on the dream world with the possible future being revealed to the dream seers in it. It also has your magical girls

X/1999 is a shoujo series aimed at 14+ year-olds. Mahou shoujo is aimed at girls 6-13. Magical girl ≠ girls who use magic. Magical Girl is a genre of anime, and in order for something to really qualify for the genre, it has to be aimed at that age group and feature a girl around that age.

Quote:
Sailor Moon gets into the dream world quite a bit as well in the anime and manga version of SuperS. Also, you claim that Shamanic Princess has nothing to do with dream worlds. Sorry, but no. A large portion of the OAV takes place in Tiara's dreams where she's talking with Sara.

That's not really a dream world. The Guardian World is not a dream world. Yes, there are scenes in Tiara's dreams and related symbolism, but that isn't a dream world, it's a show that features dreams as part of it's plotline. I was referring specifically to a dream world which corresponds to an alternate reality.

Quote:
already gave you my list of Ribon/Nakayoshi artist I was comparing to. Manga such as Da Da Da!, Kodocha, 13 Nichi, ect. All have very smilar character designs void of any real detail.

Yeah, and I'm saying you're wrong. Da Da Da, Kodocha and Dream Saga have artstyles that look nothing alike to me.

Maybe they do to you, but I get the feeling you don't really care. Which is okay. But I don't go around saying, "Oh, everything in Shounen Jump looks EXACTLY the SAME," because that would be mean, and serve no purpose except to piss people off and make them feel crappy about all their favorite little shonen jump manga.

Quote:
I find myself capable of seperating drawing styles between manga artist with no problem, no problem that is untill I come across the kiddie-shoujo style, and that's when I become stumped with the generic cutesy curvy style. Most artist have something that makes their style stand out from others, but with artist such as Tachikawa I see nothing. Don't try telling me I'm not looking at them with an artistic eye.

I'm not saying you're not looking at them without an artistic eye, I'm saying that you don't care, so you don't really bother to make distinctions.

Honestly, I think that Inu-Yasha, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin all have very, very boring artwork with very little to distinquish them from one another, except that maybe their outfits are different.

But then, I don't really care to make a distinction, because I'm not really interested in Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Kenshin or Inu-Yasha. Probably in much the same way that you don't care to make a distinction between Dream Saga and Kodocha, because you feel they are too "kiddie" and "childish".
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
Honestly, I think that Inu-Yasha, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin all have very, very boring artwork with very little to distinquish them from one another, except that maybe their outfits are different.

But then, I don't really care to make a distinction, because I'm not really interested in Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Kenshin or Inu-Yasha. Probably in much the same way that you don't care to make a distinction between Dream Saga and Kodocha, because you feel they are too "kiddie" and "childish".

I think that's an unfair distinction, sailor_titan. You have at least agreed with me that Takahashi's style...compared to her other works look exactly the same. But, YYH, Kenshin, and InuYasha DO have different art styles. I think what you may be looking at is that they are the same genre...slapstick, action, shounen titles.

However, I will argue with you on the fact that their art looks the same.

As far as Dream Saga and Kodocha go...I think that Tachikawa and Nami Akimoto draw the same. But Kodocha doesn't look much like Dream Saga.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:

Maybe they do to you, but I get the feeling you don't really care. Which is okay. But I don't go around saying, "Oh, everything in Shounen Jump looks EXACTLY the SAME," because that would be mean, and serve no purpose except to piss people off and make them feel crappy about all their favorite little shonen jump manga.

Anyone else see the irony here? Anyone? Anyone?

Sailor_Titan, your rants about reviews that disagree with you are dangerously one-sided... your writing has a very "I'm right and you're wrong!" tone to it. It's like you're suggesting that the columnist or critic is ABSOLUTELY WRONG, without any room for error, about this manga. This is ENTIRELY subjective; it's your opinion versus hers. You did this same thing in the now-deleted Answerman thread and I'm a little tired of it. Everyone disagrees with reviews from time to time; someone saying they don't like your favorite show is not a slam on you, it's a slam on the show. If you can't make that distinction then maybe you need to step back and re-evaluate how you're looking at this (or maybe take it and yourself a little less seriously). Otherwise you're going to start flame wars.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
If you put it that way, the same exact argument can be made about Shojo manga. Each genre is going to have similarities. But most mangas have their own uniqueness to set themselves apart from the rest of that genre.
But I will agree on the fact that many mangas in the US have somewhat steriotypical art. There are many mangas in Japan that have art thats like nothing else out there. Things like "Sexy Voice and Robo" and "Mushishi" have some of the best and most unique art I've ever seen, but its unlikely that they will ever be picked up for the US because of their unconventional art and storytelling.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:

Well, that's nicely selective. Again, as someone else said, it's all about opinions and that's what content reviews are, at least for me. It's my own opinion of things. But it shows that either you didn't continue to follow our thoughts on it or just decided to ignore it.

Out of the gate, I didn't think much of Twelve Kingdoms. It was too much too quickly without enough explanations to put some footing to it. I also didn't care for the way the lead character, to me at the time, did not seem to change dramatically like other characters had referred to her. While a B is not a bad grade, it just meant that there were things we liked and didn't like.

If you had looked through the reviews up through volume six, which I think is the last one we've seen so far, it's gone from a B to an A. As we get more into the show, learn more about the characters, setting and plot, the more interesting it got.

Unfortunately, a lot of fans seem to expect everything to be great out of the gate. If it doesn't meet their expectations within the first five pages or five minutes, bam, it's dropped and labeled the worst thing in the world. I'm in the rare position of even if I don't like something I'll watch it till its over for the most part so I'll either hate it all the way through or find some grudging respect for it. Some will change my opinion completely. Saint Seiya looked like a joke really in the first volume but now up in the higher episodes I'm like a junkie with it.

Of course, it's all peoples money (mine included) being spent on all this so it's their perogative to drop it if they don't think it meets their expectations right off the bat. But everyone is going to find things to be different. I have a general distaste for the shows and manga that rely heavily on the various Three Kingdoms tales and other Chinese mythology and history so those tend to take awhile for me to get into and I generally won't care for them much at first.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
About your anger over 12 Kingdoms/ Lain: Tough. Everytime I come on the forums I see something written that I don't agree with. If I let that piss me off, I would have punched my moniter a long time ago. If you want a forum where everyone likes exacally what you like go to a fan forum for that particular manga. Otherwise your gonna have to get use to the fact that people are not always going to agree with your views.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
About your anger over 12 Kingdoms/ Lain: Tough. Everytime I come on the forums I see something written that I don't agree with. If I let that piss me off, I would have punched my moniter a long time ago. If you want a forum where everyone likes exacally what you like go to a fan forum for that particular manga. Otherwise your gonna have to get use to the fact that people are not always going to agree with your views.

I'm not talking about "not always agreeing with my views" I am talking about NEVER agreeing with my views. Ever. And if I happen to *GASP!* want to express my opinion (like I'm doing *now*) people either say "OMG HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT LAIN/EVA SUCKS!" or "Nobody cares what *you* think, anyway."

Here's a crazy idea. What if I'm some person who reads the column to see if I want to read/see a manga/anime, and I come onto shelf life or animeondvd or right turn only, and I say, "oh, that looks kinda cool...but she rails on it really bad." Personally, were I in that situation, I would look at the comments and see, "gee, I wonder if anyone posted and said 'hey, I like that series!'? Then it might have some redeeming qualities." Hell, I do that a lot myself, because most mainstream reviewers do not agree with me. Okay, so all mainstreaming reviewers do not agree with me. In fact, I have yet to see a column that doesn't trash most of my favorite series, or at least give them average grades, and then proceed to laud the benefits of a great deal of series I dislike.

Of course, people are entitled to their opinons. But I'm entitled to mine, too. And I happen to disagree. And I would happen to want other people to know that I disagree, so that they aren't automatically biased from one person's review. I don't think that's terribly too much to ask, especially since I didn't come on saying "I HATE YOUR COLUMN, YOU SUCK, DREAM SAGA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!OMGOMGOMG11!!"

I think it's not too much to ask that I have a right to vent a bit when all the series I like get bad reviews, especially if I'm decently polite about it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3