• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Back And Hopefully Better

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
I think it's not too much to ask that I have a right to vent a bit when all the series I like get bad reviews, especially if I'm decently polite about it.

Relating back to Right Turn Only...the thing is...
I didn't give Dream Saga a bad review and you even said that I didn't. You just wanted to basically voice that you liked the series a lot.... I can't "compete" with a Tachigawa fan, and I don't try. I just put it where I call it as a neutral reader.

Soo....I'm glad you read my column and have comments/criticism (as we've discussed in previous threads), but please start your own thread up if you want to debate the pros and cons of other series of your preference.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quote
Ok, first off don't listen to animeondvd.com. I have never seen them give anything a bad score. If you listened to their rating system you would have bought nearly every anime DVD release in America. And that B for TK was only the first domestic DVD. The later disks have gotten reviews in the A range. I'm a big fan of TK, but I admit a B for the first 5 episodes is fair. I don't think I have ever heard something negative about Twelve Kingdoms, and Lain is hated by almost as much people as it is loved. And since this Megumi Tachikawa person gained what seems to be noteriety (seeing that people recognise several of her works), then she must enjoy some degree of popularity. My point is that your not alone in your opinions.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'd also like to point out that:

A) a B is not a bad rating.
B) "middle placement" in a column is not a bad placement.
c) no reviewer will ever please a "fan" of a particular series or artist.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:07 am Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:

I think it's not too much to ask that I have a right to vent a bit when all the series I like get bad reviews, especially if I'm decently polite about it.

You aren't "Decently polite" about it. You express your opinion as though it's a fact; as though the author is wrong and you are right. You also have this victim complex thing going on where you insinuate that you're *entitled* to good reviews of shows you like and oh how awful your suffering must be to endure bad reviews of shows you love.

If you were "decently polite", you'd say "I respectfully disagree. I think (whatever) is a great show and here's why" and you'd list the reasons why and that would be great. That would be much better than whining and gnashing of teeth and lashing out at column authors.

You also have no "right" to vent here. You have the right to say what the moderators approve of you saying. There is no free speech on a forum, you are entitled to nothing, so you may want to go back, read the rules, and lose the entitlement attitude.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You aren't "Decently polite" about it. You express your opinion as though it's a fact; as though the author is wrong and you are right. You also have this victim complex thing going on where you insinuate that you're *entitled* to good reviews of shows you like and oh how awful your suffering must be to endure bad reviews of shows you love.

Did you even *read* my original post?

Quote:
love Megumi Tachikawa. Her art is beautiful (some of my favorite manga art, ever) her characters are adorable (the MeimixAsuka Jr. Romance is my favorite, ever) and I actually think that Dream Saga's premise is arguably pretty orginal. Sure, the "girl goes to another world" premise isn't, but the idea of the Dream World is. Moreover, most series with this premise don't use traditional Japanese mythology as their premise. Besides, there's nothing original about "Escaflowne", "Fushigi Yuugi" and "Magic Knight Rayearth", but that doesn't stop people from fawning over them.

"arguably pretty original?" "I love megumi tachikawa?" how is that "expressing my opinion as though it's fact"? Certainly, I don't preface every sentence with "I think", but if you've ever taking a class where they talk about essay writing, you're not supposed to do that (it's *assumed* that you're talking about your opinion when it's an opinion) and moreover, it's rather rude--prefacing arguments with "I think" only sounds like you're arrogant enough to believe that because it's your opinion, it's automatically more important than everyone else's.

Quote:
If you were "decently polite", you'd say "I respectfully disagree. I think (whatever) is a great show and here's why" and you'd list the reasons why and that would be great. That would be much better than whining and gnashing of teeth and lashing out at column authors.

*goes back and reads it*

Uhh...that's what I did. I said I thought it had nice art, that it had an arguably orginal premise, and--like a good, polite essay author--I even conceded a point, that the "girl goes to another world" idea is hardly original.

Quote:
You also have no "right" to vent here. You have the right to say what the moderators approve of you saying. There is no free speech on a forum, you are entitled to nothing, so you may want to go back, read the rules, and lose the entitlement attitude.

Although I said "right" I was using it more as figure of speech, namely, using it comparatively. As in:

I have a right to vent politely, but I DO NOT have a right to scream and rant and call people names like a little girl, the way you're impling I am but actually am not at all, if you had read my original post.

Of course, *technically*, I don't have a right even to vent politely, since most posting contracts say "we can kick you off for no reason at all if we want to", but I think that calling posting here a "privledge" is a bit too illustrious of an adjective, although I do enjoy it and appreciate it and all.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for a good discussion in a thread. However, this thread seems destined for the path of *ranting* and has kinda veered off course of feedback/comment for the column.

Feel free to start up your own thread(s) if you would like to *discuss* issues you have with particular series and/or how people feel about them.

Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3