• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Murphy's Laws

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
Animated_Lady wrote:
I would just like to say "Thank you" to Ms. Answerman for defending 4Kids in her column. I appreciate it immensely. Very Happy

Personally, I'm holding off judgment until I see One Piece.

Same here. 4Kids' seems to have done a fairly decent job with Shaman King, I've seen a few eps dubbed and subbed, and really couldn't find anything that wasn't in the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon Return
Sailor Moon Romance

SMR1 (Return)

Where do you get this? The memorial song box says R stands for “Romance, Rondo, Return, etc.” but I've never seen anything about parts of the season having different names.

Hardly a big deal, but I think this is another fan rumor.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:

SuperS is about the importance of having dreams but not letting them get in the way of growing up.

awwww jon you're so cute!
Akisora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Akisora wrote:
Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon Return
Sailor Moon Romance

SMR1 (Return)

Where do you get this? The memorial song box says R stands for “Romance, Rondo, Return, etc.” but I've never seen anything about parts of the season having different names.

Hardly a big deal, but I think this is another fan rumor.

No, it's not a fan rumor, it's stated fact that Takeuchi wanted to catch the manga up to the series. Thus Doom Tree was created to give her the time she needed.

I've known this for years. Ail and Ann are never mentioned inthe manga, either.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
No, it's not a fan rumor, it's stated fact that Takeuchi wanted to catch the manga up to the series. Thus Doom Tree was created to give her the time she needed.

I've known this for years. Ail and Ann are never mentioned inthe manga, either.

I wasn't disputing that; I'm talking about the season names.
Akisora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
SMR1 I recall it as being "Return" and not "Rebirth" as I've seen elsewhere on fan sites.

I own the Guardians of Order "Sailor Moon" RPG which covers facts about the series and Takeuchi herself.

On page 12 of the book, second coloumn, bottom paragraph, it states the folowing:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon enjoyed five successful seasons on television:

1992 Sailormoon (Episodes #1-#46)
1993 Sailormoon R Part I (R=Return, Episode #47-#59)
1993 Sailormoon R Part II (R=Romance, Episodes #60-#89)
1994 Sailormoon S (S=Super, Episode #90-#127)
1995 Sailormoon SuperS (Super Super, Episodes #128-#166)
1996 Sailor Stars (Episodes #167-#200)

Yes, I have too much time on my hands sometimes . Razz
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that it conflicts with the memorial song box...
Akisora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Interesting that it conflicts with the memorial song box...

Quite honestly I don't know anything about hte memorial songbox. I haven't so much as seen Sailor Moonin something like six years.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
In Shaman King they renamed Tao Ren (cool name) to "Lenny" (lame), Ryo to Rio (giving him an aweful mexican accent in the proccess), Manta to Morty, Haro Haro to Trey, need I go on? They changed the name of Harusame to "sword of light" too, and changed the solid opening song to "shaman king!", as if kids are incapable of remembering a show unless you repeat the name a few dozen times in the opening credits, and as if that actually matters.

OH, and "Best Place" to what "Ultimate HANG"? or somethng? What's up with that?

Yugioh is much worse, in that all the blood, violence, and drama of the anime is made extremely G-rated, in addition to the poor voice acting and name changes. Super Weak.

I understand that they totally gave up on the teen/adult market on those titles, and that their descisions made since for the arguement that they decided to target, but I cannot give them a pass on that because they should NOT have targetted an audience that was different than the Japanese versions. There is no justification for censorship or "localization" of anime.

I wouldn't mind them if they ran "proper" versions of their programs on Cartoon Network, with Japanese names, appropriate voices, and more or less unedied content, but they don't, so I can only judge them by the travesties that they DO release.

It actually pains me that THEY are releseing One Piece, because that show has plenty of characters with names that are different from 5 year old Americans and will probably be changed, and it also has a significant amount of blood, violence, and adult themes which will probably also be whitewashed. Bah. Getting picked up by 4Kids is significantly worse than never getting picked up at all. They're evil, and all that they touch is brought unto ruin.
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
SMR1 I recall it as being "Return" and not "Rebirth" as I've seen elsewhere on fan sites.

I own the Guardians of Order "Sailor Moon" RPG which covers facts about the series and Takeuchi herself.

On page 12 of the book, second coloumn, bottom paragraph, it states the folowing:

Okay, all that part I and part II of the second season stuff makes sense...but isn't it supposed to be:
Sailormoon
Sailormoon "Return"
Sailormoon "Romance"
Sailormoon "Stars"
Sailormoon "Super Stars"
Sailormoon "Sailor Stars"

Now I can see how Sailormoon S could be Sailormoon "Super" and not "Stars"...but not Sailormoon SuperS being Sailormoon "Super Super"
Akisora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Pandemonium wrote:
Akisora wrote:

Okay, all that part I and part II of the second season stuff makes sense...but isn't it supposed to be:
Sailormoon
Sailormoon "Return"
Sailormoon "Romance"
Sailormoon "Stars"
Sailormoon "Super Stars"
Sailormoon "Sailor Stars"

Now I can see how Sailormoon S could be Sailormoon "Super" and not "Stars"...but not Sailormoon SuperS being Sailormoon "Super Super"

Yes, it's redundant. It's not names "Stars" because the Sailor Stars were only in Season 5, hence it being called Sailor Stars. I can't give a reason for SuerS being called such, since I don't know.
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
Yes, it's redundant. It's not names "Stars" because the Sailor Stars were only in Season 5, hence it being called Sailor Stars. I can't give a reason for SuerS being called such, since I don't know.

Took a quick look on a Sailormoon site with plenty of info (seemed accurate enough) and they have Sailormoon S as Sailormoon Super, and Sailormoon SuperS as...Supers...suppose it makes sense
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Normally I try not to get in on the arguments, but I simply had to state, while I don't like all the editing 4Kids does, nor the name changes, I do not think there voice actors are that bad.

I have met quiet a few of them personally and they have rather outstanding resumes and are just all around great people to talk to.

I think they take what they are given and make the nost out of it. Even with the VERY corny lines they are forced to deliver at times Wayne Grayson (Joey on Yu-Gi-Oh) and Mike Sinterniklaas (Trey on Shaman King) always manage to make me laugh.

I don't understand why everyone attacks the voice actors so often. I remember being at a panel at Animenext last years and someone literally verbally attacked the 4Kids voice actors because she was angry about Shaman King and that 4kids owned the rights. The voice actors were calmly trying to explain to her that they had nothing to do with what shows were owned by the company but she was very rude.

Just ranting I suppose....

*laughs*
astra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the premise behind the Answerman column is great- its fun to read someone knowledgable answering obscure questions about anime. Lately, however, the column seems to have become more of a rant space written by someone who doesn't seem to like her job.
Yes, the writer Monique sounded like an over-reacting fangirl, but the answer she received was much worse. It was pure, acid tongued, holier than thou, know it all otaku mega-geek style.
I like reading the column for the information it provides. For example, I did not know that the Yu Gi Oh movie was created with Americans in mind. But instead of providing the answers, as the column implies it will, I read a lame rant against fangirlishness instead of, say, information on how, why and who produced the movie. In the question about the names of the Sailor Moon shows, the answer began with the author's speculation instead of real information that could have simply been found with a quick google search, had the author wished to actually do some research. The column just doesn't seem informative at all; its merely a space for an angry person to write half assed answers to certain questions and then spend the majority of the article ranting.
Akisora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:46 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
I think the premise behind the Answerman column is great- its fun to read someone knowledgable answering obscure questions about anime. Lately, however, the column seems to have become more of a rant space written by someone who doesn't seem to like her job.
Yes, the writer Monique sounded like an over-reacting fangirl, but the answer she received was much worse. It was pure, acid tongued, holier than thou, know it all otaku mega-geek style.
I like reading the column for the information it provides. For example, I did not know that the Yu Gi Oh movie was created with Americans in mind. But instead of providing the answers, as the column implies it will, I read a lame rant against fangirlishness instead of, say, information on how, why and who produced the movie. In the question about the names of the Sailor Moon shows, the answer began with the author's speculation instead of real information that could have simply been found with a quick google search, had the author wished to actually do some research. The column just doesn't seem informative at all; its merely a space for an angry person to write half assed answers to certain questions and then spend the majority of the article ranting.

I completely agree with you. While I canunderstand frustration at receving the same kinds of questions a million times over, being acid tongued and poorly opinionated and at times attacking the author of the original question is going completely too far.

The column has gone downhill and become less informative.

Perhaps ANN should issue a fact that is strictly for the Answerman column that lists (at least in a general way) the kinds of questions that have been asked before, and links to the responses. That may help cut down on some redundancy, however there will always be stupid people out there, though my thought is if the FAQ is highly noticeable, it will cut down on repetitiveness.

Just a thought.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4