• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Murphy's Laws

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:

Perhaps ANN should issue a fact that is strictly for the Answerman column that lists (at least in a general way) the kinds of questions that have been asked before, and links to the responses. That may help cut down on some redundancy, however there will always be stupid people out there, though my thought is if the FAQ is highly noticeable, it will cut down on repetitiveness.

Just a thought.

Oh, you mean like the highly visible and required reading of Teh Rules that you must do when signing up for the forums. Yeah, we see how well that one works, as evidenced by the large number of people who still come on here asking for bootlegs or starting up pointless list/game threads.
Akisora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Akisora wrote:

Perhaps ANN should issue a fact that is strictly for the Answerman column that lists (at least in a general way) the kinds of questions that have been asked before, and links to the responses. That may help cut down on some redundancy, however there will always be stupid people out there, though my thought is if the FAQ is highly noticeable, it will cut down on repetitiveness.

Just a thought.

Oh, you mean like the highly visible and required reading of Teh Rules that you must do when signing up for the forums. Yeah, we see how well that one works, as evidenced by the large number of people who still come on here asking for bootlegs or starting up pointless list/game threads.

Don't look at me, I've read the rules. I was referring to teh majority. You know, the people who never read TOS' or rules when signing up for forums.

Fact of the matter is, I was referring to making a FAQ list MORE noticeable - such as in the navigation area or a link at the top of the Answerman column itself. While I admit that I'm sure it would be a hassle to set up, in the long run it would probably be worthwhile.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
I know what you were getting at. My point was that people would just ignore it like they do everything else dealing with rules and such. Sure it would cut down on a few of the mindless repeats or plainly stupid questions, but with the sheer number of them that Rebecca gets, it would be like trying to dam the Mississippi River with a 2X4.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
I think Answerman's been going too far, too. I'm beginning to not want to read the column at all, even though it does have some good tidbits of info. Even if I don't usually agree with Right Turn Only and the DVD column (forget it's name ><) I find the reviews much more enjoyable to read and less in your face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Not to mention bad taste. Wink (I'm kidding)

Emerje

Uh, I would say that and not be kidding. You're the first person I've ever heard of who liked Sailor Moon SuperS.

Even hardcore Moonies don't like it.

I agree and this coming from the guy whos watched all of sailor moon even sat thru the musicals [puke] and is watching the live action (its so cheesy its good!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
I completely agree with you. While I canunderstand frustration at receving the same kinds of questions a million times over, being acid tongued and poorly opinionated and at times attacking the author of the original question is going completely too far.

I'm going to assume you guys are newbies who weren't blessed with the column when Zac was running it. Believe me when I say Rebecca is a lot more polite.

Geeze, people don't seem to understand that half the fun of reading the Answerman column is laughing at the stupid questions. Usually readers of the column KNOW they're risking ridicule when they submit a question. People are taking this too seriously.
mizushimo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay guys, lets clarify the QUESTION sent to MsAnswerman about the movie:

Quote:
The YuGiOh movie is coming out on the 13 of August, and I know its going to be a complete atrocity because of 4Kids. It's already been shown in Japan, and I was wondering if there was a way I could get a subtitled version of it now. Better yet, do you know if indeed, its going to be screwed up like the show? (as in the dialogue and cutting up various scenes in the movie, of course)

The two questions asked were:
1.) Where can I get the subtitled version?
2.) is it going to be screwed up(i.e. the original content edited) like the show?

No where does the questioner ask any information about who directed it, or anything specific besides 'is it going to be screwed up?' Since the new Yu-gi-oh movie hasn't even been released anywhere, how is she of supposed to of seen it to even give a critique? I agree that she should have maybe reiterated that she couldn't properly answer question #2 somewhere, but otherwise she answered the 2 main questions as best she could.

Remember guys, she selects certain questions to answer from the multitudes she gets every week/2 weeks. There are specific reasons she picks the ones she does(i.e. the question would be interesting to others, to say something she wants to say or many people are asking the same question).
Akisora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Akisora wrote:
I completely agree with you. While I canunderstand frustration at receving the same kinds of questions a million times over, being acid tongued and poorly opinionated and at times attacking the author of the original question is going completely too far.

I'm going to assume you guys are newbies who weren't blessed with the column when Zac was running it. Believe me when I say Rebecca is a lot more polite.

Geeze, people don't seem to understand that half the fun of reading the Answerman column is laughing at the stupid questions. Usually readers of the column KNOW they're risking ridicule when they submit a question. People are taking this too seriously.

I've been reading the news and columns since 2002, and I've read the back columns of Answerman. I'm not saying she isn't a lot more polite, and I'm not saying that she isn't tired of stupid questions.

What's being said here is that the column in and of itself seems to have degrade. That may be becuase of some of the questions, but things have become less informative as well, and there is also a lot of ranting and what seems like personal attacks.

that's all that's being said. At least when I speak, I'm referrinf to the column and the attitude portrayed therin, NOT Rebecca herself.
What's being
Akisora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
I think Answerman's been going too far, too. I'm beginning to not want to read the column at all, even though it does have some good tidbits of info. Even if I don't usually agree with Right Turn Only and the DVD column (forget it's name ><) I find the reviews much more enjoyable to read and less in your face.

I've only ever had one problem with the Right Turn Only column, and I stated my opinions in the forums about it at that time, I'd never bothered to register for the forums before that point.

And I believe the DVD column is called "Shelf Worthy".
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:

Shelf Life.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:

Close. Shelf Life. Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:

I've been reading the news and columns since 2002, and I've read the back columns of Answerman. I'm not saying she isn't a lot more polite, and I'm not saying that she isn't tired of stupid questions.

What's being said here is that the column in and of itself seems to have degrade. That may be becuase of some of the questions, but things have become less informative as well, and there is also a lot of ranting and what seems like personal attacks.

that's all that's being said. At least when I speak, I'm referrinf to the column and the attitude portrayed therin, NOT Rebecca herself.
What's being

Except the column IS Rebecca so you CAN'T backpedal and try to say that you're aren't attacking Rebecca, you're attacking the column. By your logic, Rebecca isn't attacking the questioner, she's attacking the question. You're being highly hypocritical here.

Frankly, I'm sick of it. People can come in here and whine and complain and say that the column sucks now because HOW DARE Rebecca HAVE AN OPINION on something. HOW DARE she express that opinion. HOW DARE she take some jerk to task for saying stupid things or being lazy. Whenever we as journalists say something the public doesn't agree with, they all get out their pitchforks and try to prove that it's our standards or our writing quality or our journalism experience or whatever that's wrong, when the fact of the matter is, you just don't agree and you're so arrogant about it that it couldn't POSSIBLY be a matter of subjective opinion, it HAS to be that the columnist is a moron or a jerk. You people have NO right to sit here and tell Rebecca how she's supposed to write her column. You disagree, argue the points, but don't come here and pretend you're all journalism experts or you know what the column is SUPPOSED to be because, and I hate to break this to you, you know NOTHING. If you disagree with what she says, disagree with what she says. Don't attack her for not making the column what you think it should be. That is stomach-turning arrogance.

Don't like my tone? Deal with it. You kids are going way, WAY over the line here.
Akisora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Akisora wrote:

Shelf Life.

Well I was close Smile
Akisora

SakechanBD wrote:
Akisora wrote:

Close. Shelf Life. Very Happy

Razz Very close.
Akisora

Zac wrote:

Except the column IS Rebecca so you CAN'T backpedal and try to say that you're aren't attacking Rebecca, you're attacking the column. By your logic, Rebecca isn't attacking the questioner, she's attacking the question. You're being highly hypocritical here.

If I wanted to attack Rebecca directly, I would have done so, not just talk strictly about the column. I've never reffered to her as a person, I don't know her, so I wouldn't attack her directly. I'm attacking the ATTITUDE that's been the COLUMN lately. But whatever. I didn't think that was so hard to understand.

Zac wrote:
Frankly, I'm sick of it. People can come in here and whine and complain and say that the column sucks now because HOW DARE Rebecca HAVE AN OPINION on something. HOW DARE she express that opinion. HOW DARE she take some jerk to task for saying stupid things or being lazy. Whenever we as journalists say something the public doesn't agree with, they all get out their pitchforks and try to prove that it's our standards or our writing quality or our journalism experience or whatever that's wrong, when the fact of the matter is, you just don't agree and you're so arrogant about it that it couldn't POSSIBLY be a matter of subjective opinion, it HAS to be that the columnist is a moron or a jerk.

I'm entitled to my opinion, just as much as you are entitled to yours. Columns are for opinions, so are forums. I am not discussing the style of writing or any experience. And I would like to simple point out that I am not the one doing the name calling.

Zac wrote:
You people have NO right to sit here and tell Rebecca how she's supposed to write her column. You disagree, argue the points, but don't come here and pretend you're all journalism experts or you know what the column is SUPPOSED to be because, and I hate to break this to you, you know NOTHING. If you disagree with what she says, disagree with what she says. Don't attack her for not making the column what you think it should be. That is stomach-turning arrogance.

I haven't said anything about telling her how to write the column. I'm not pretending to be an expert in anything, and I'm not saying that I am.

I know plenty of things, don't say I know nothing. I am not being arrogant, I and others have been pointing out that the column has become less informative than it used to be.

Zac wrote:
Don't like my tone? Deal with it. You kids are going way, WAY over the line here.

I don't see how I'm going over the line, when I've merely been stating my opinion, the same as everone else. I'm obviously not the only one who thinks the same thing, yet you're not saying anything to them, just directing everything mainly towards me.

Where have I been the one to be rude and call people names or done any attacking? I don't see where I've done it, but I'm sure you'll happily point it out to me, and ignore your owne attacking, name calling and rudeness.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4