• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking: January 2-8

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Manyū Hiken-chō Director's Cut #4 1,411

GODDAMN IT, JAPAN!!!!! Mad
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Sales reflect the quality really.

- Small cast of females compared to similar shows
- Breasts so stupidly big they are a turn-off

Only positives for me were the OVA's and picture drama's.
Problem is, if the main show is poor, then no one is going to buy the DVD/BD's to watch the show.

Don't think we've seen the end of this show though.
I think the only way forward is a couple of episode length OVA's.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Bullshit! 1400 units is far too much for this drivel.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Sales reflect the quality really.

- Small cast of females compared to similar shows
- Breasts so stupidly big they are a turn-off

Only positives for me were the OVA's and picture drama's.
Problem is, if the main show is poor, then no one is going to buy the DVD/BD's to watch the show.

Don't think we've seen the end of this show though.
I think the only way forward is a couple of episode length OVA's.

I have a feeling some didn't want to pay for the DVD/Blu-rays when they were able to watch the 100% uncensored webstream and some were probably satisfied just watching it 80% uncensored on AT-X.

Though you already mentioned this by implying the main audience was too poor to buy anything (and in my point also being cheap).

Seeing as it didn't sell well in Japan I guess one positive is that any R1 company (Funimation? Sentai? Media Blasters) probably won't have to pay much to get the license and will make a huge profit.

Yeah it's borderline hentai in some scenes but ecchi sells well in North America and it will be licensed eventually. Same with Seikon no Qwaser.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
There is no "maybe Funimation or Sentai" - it's only hope is Media Blasters or some upstart that wants to specialize in the super hardcore ecchi (ever thought of that Blood-?). The other two get some risque stuff, but if this show is put in the same breathe as SnQ, it's too much for even them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
There is no "maybe Funimation or Sentai" - it's only hope is Media Blasters or some upstart that wants to specialize in the super hardcore ecchi (ever thought of that Blood-?). The other two get some risque stuff, but if this show is put in the same breathe as SnQ, it's too much for even them.

It's only a few scenes where it enters Qwaser territory, besides that it's actually pretty tame.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Manyuu sales actually were worse than I expected. These boob shows typically seem to do in the 5-6k range... maybe showing boobs as it aired hurt its potential sales.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
These boob shows typically seem to do in the 5-6k range...

Proof??
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Proof??

Freezing - http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/フリージング?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

Queens Blade (Though this one did over 10k its first season) - http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/クイーンズブレイド?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

Qwaser - http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/聖痕のクェイサー?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

Strike Witches (This is in the 13-15k range) - http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/ストライクウィッチーズ?sid=64d778040154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191

Boob shows generally sell VERY well. Its just that when you get bad artwork or give boobs as it airs (Qwaser 2 also flopped by having an uncensored webcast) is when they start to struggle.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Since when is Strike Witches a boob show? It's the exact opposite of boob show.

I'm not saying anything against what your point, but it's amusing how you threw in SW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Proof??

*6,684 - Gakuen Mokushiroku Highschool of the Dead
*6,522 - Seikon no Qwaser
*6,156 - Motto To LOVE-Ru
*5,854 - Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~
*5,305 - Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls
*4,367 - Ladies Versus Butlers
*4,197 - Ikkitousen Xtreme Xecutor
2010 average show sales
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Since when is Strike Witches a boob show? It's the exact opposite of boob show.

I'm not saying anything against what your point, but it's amusing how you threw in SW.

I meant boob show as in a show with lots of boobs. Barely any episodes don't have a topless girl somewhere.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
It's only a few scenes where it enters Qwaser territory, besides that it's actually pretty tame.

Are you kidding? Compared to Manyuu, Qwaser is freaking One Piece.
This trash didn't even attempt a story line or character development. It was disgusting to look at, the breasts were hideous, and hideously used as well. One women ATTACKS WITH HER BOOBS. Her boobs were capable of independent movement. The premise is stupid, as well as the "Stealing breasts technique". And there are maybe a total of 3 characters what are not complete not-so-nice-people.

Say what you will about Qwaser, but in season one, the characters did evolve, there was a narrative, and say what you will, the battles were pretty interesting. Please don't compare Qwaser (season 1) with this filth.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with Hiro here. Manyuu is nothing but a higher budget hentai without sex. Qwaser was actually a semi-competent battle shonen, with some really well developed characters like Katja and Sasha. It had good artwork too, something Manyuu doesn't.

The main girl in Manyuu was okay early on, but by the point she had boobs the size of watermelons is when I dropped it. It was absolutely disgusting.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I know it will never be released but I can just imagine if did get released having a sales person try to explain this show to someone.

Best Buy salesperson who knows about anime: "Can I assist you with something today"
Person: *Holds up the BD for the show* "I'm interested in this show can you tell me something about it"
Best Buy: "Well the cast here uses techniques to steal the breast from other women"
Person: *With a confused look on their face* "Okay, thanks" *Leaves store in disgust.*

I am actually looking to watching more of it, once the rest of the BD fansubs come out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2