• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Waiting in the Summer

Streaming at Crunchyroll and scheduled for a sub-only DVD by Sentai Filmworks.

Plot Summary wrote:
While testing his new 8mm camera at night, Kaito Kirishima is caught amid a mysterious explosion in his small town. Strangely, Kaito wakes up the next day perfectly fine, but with no recollection of what happened exactly the day before. Unfazed by what seems to have been just a dream, he heads to school not giving much thought to the incident. Discussing with his friends about the camera, they decide to make a movie during summer break. They invite two upperclass students to participate in the project: recently arrived Ichika Takatsuki and the odd Remon Yamano. In a strange twist of fate, Ichika starts living with Kaito as his sister has to work overseas. Summer days are about to get exciting for the small film crew.

Episode Index
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12 FINAL

Last edited by The King of Harts on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 am; edited 13 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It's definitely from the creator of Please Teacher, that much is obvious from the feel it has and the characters in it.

This was my most anticipated show of the season and I'm really digging it so far. I'm not a huge fan of Please Teacher or Twins, but with Tanaka's designs and Nagai's directing, I think this could turn out much better than those two. I found this first episode to have some funny moments, interesting characters with good chemistry, a bit of drama thrown in at the end, and I like how Ichika doesn't know much about how to act on Earth. At first blush it seems pretty cliche with how Ichika ends up staying the night (and probably longer), but I like how the situation arose because Ichika really doesn't have anywhere to stay - she was going to pitch a tent - and Kaito does it out of pure kindness, and I liked that. They could've stuck with the whole "OH NO IT'S A MISUNDERSTANDING"-thing and forced the situation, but they chose to go with sympathetic reasons.

I also really like Katio for that reason. I mean, it's cool enough that we have a male lead who wears glasses that isn't socially awkward or really weird, but to have one that feels so...human is nice. His little delusions were amusing as well and very Aikawa-like from Zombie desu ka?. As a whole, though, Kaito reminds me a lot of Tsutomou from Birdy the Mighty Decode with how he's very normal. In fact, now that I bring that up, the whole show feels like Birdy because all the characters feel so real, even the ones from outer space. The only exception might be Mio, but I can't quite get a read on her. Down-to-Earth, I think, is a good way to describe the setting.

Now, the ending of the first episode was a little cliche, but I don't think it was eyeroll worthy. I mean, did Ichika have to take a shower and did Kaito have to collapse when she was naked and was kissing needed and did big sister and Kanna have to come home at the exact same time? No, but I liked the tenseness of the moment when Ichika was saving Kaito and was amused by the other girls' reaction. Plus, Kaito was unconcious the whole time, so they avoided any nosebleed-hijinks that could've possibly happened.

I'm really looking forward to watching this little seed grow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Ok since I suck at makeing threads that mine got locked I will post mine in The King of Harts's one. You put the effort of having an index and writing more, while I am pretty lazy with mine.
myself wrote:
I would say that it kind of criss crosses between being the usual type pf romance commedy, and something more, although it will probably take a few episodes to see how it might use these tropes. One thing was that the girls red hair actually gets her a lot of attention, as you would expect in Japan, though they have only said her hair is red, nothing about her not looking oriental.

My favourite bit was when he had a god awefull imagine spot where he was sterotypicly telling the mysterious girl spoiler[she could stay at his place. But when daydream ended he was in the very same scene, and apparently talked out loude and invited her.] The character I find most interesting is actually Lemon (I think that is right), I actually could have sworn she was being voiced by Rie Kugemiya, but instead she was voiced by Yukari Tamura (Nanoha).

Well based on first episode it seems pretty obvious that Ichika is spoiler[actually an alien, and she has been trying to act "normal".] Though not knowing why she is actually getting attention

Perhaps I should learn to do that Index thing? Now I am starting to feel a little depressed from my poor writing, poor use of spoilers, etc. It is bad enough I have to keep writing my opinions on a new show in a way that does not make it sound like I have awefull taste compared to everyone else. Screw it I am just saying what I think now.

Anyway rant over, I do like what I am seeing, though some of the animation leaves me in doubt of whether I will keep interest or not, I have a bad habit of not having a lot of love for retro content (like the camera). I am kind of reminded of Asobi ni Iku yo, but please I hope thear is anything near the same amount of fan service.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Now I am starting to feel a little depressed from my poor writing, poor use of spoilers, etc. It is bad enough I have to keep writing my opinions on a new show in a way that does not make it sound like I have awefull taste compared to everyone else.

Seriously, don't even worry about that. With this being a forum, and by definition a place to air opinions and views, you don't need to convince anyone of anything. The great thing about taste is that everyone has a different sense of it. No-one's judging your posts (well, some probably are, but the problem there lies with them, not you) so don't worry about putting across a million words or an in-depth analysis of how an anime made you feel, simply for the sake of winning others over. Personally, I appreciate it when people's opinions come across as genuine and honest, and not fabricated to fit in with the herd mentality. I've always found your posts to be both genuine and honest, so we're golden.

The King of Harts wrote:
Lots of stuff relevant to the anime in question

Oh, right, the anime. Yeah. I enjoyed it. I'm definitely digging the character designs, they were a large part of why I enjoyed AnoHana and the same rings true here. The artwork on the backgrounds was pretty lush in places as well, really conveys the feeling of a warm summer's day, which I assume is the intention.

I like the characters we've met so far and BOOMspoiler[ love triangle] right off the bat. This scores bonus points with me. I did, however keep imagining what it would have been like if the alien angle wasn't present. It's obviously an important plot device in the grand scheme of things but it felt a bit... Unnecessary? here. If Ichika had just been a foreign transfer student, someone unfamiliar with Japanese ways, that would have worked just fine. Aside from the bit at the very beginning and the very end, obviously. That was my issue, I think... The alien thing was tacked onto the start and the end, almost an afterthought. The middle bit was the bit I enjoyed most and there was none of this UFO nonsense there.

Yeah, definitely keeping this one on the go.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode, but I have to admit I usually do not like characters with glasses and then I see 4 of the characters having glasses sort of got me down. But they are not your typical nerdy otaku type of glass wearers that animes usually have, which I hate. Anyway you can easily tell this is the same director from Please Teacher and Please twins, with the animation style and the similar characters. Like in please twin the main guy's friend is a player, and so is the the main guy's friend in this one as he charmed a teacher for information. Not to mention Lemon from Ano Natsu is exactly like the student president in the other 2 anime. They probably have the same voice actor too as she had the same weird "hahaha" laugh as the president.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't this more active? It's getting good preview ratings and is even the preview banner. It's not even getting talk in the talkback thread for it.

@dirkusbirkus
I don't agree with it being tacked on, but that's probably because I don't think it's supposed to be a big part of the show anyways. It's like they're telling us that while this will have aliens, this IS NOT a sci-fi show, it's a slice-of-life romance. Clearly Ichika being an alien and her using alien technology to revive Kaito will be very important, but it's not what they want the show as a whole to be about. It'd be very much like Please Teacher in that respect, which I think is the point. That's my take, anyways.

Also, I want to point out something Key said in his preview:
Quote:
The musical score is also low-key, and the background art almost photorealistic at times, though the character designs are not as sharp.

I strongly, strongly disagree with the bolded part. That is all.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Mm, I haven't seen either of the Onegai anime, so I'm not as familiar with the 'slice-of-life romance with alien angle' formula (It's probably cropped up in other stuff I've watched, but never been the main focus). Perhaps the fact it felt it out of place is just a sign of me adjusting. I maintain my point that take out the alien stuff and the episode loses nothing, but we both agree it's going to become a more important aspect later on.

I'm also sad this thread is inactive, it was a great first episode.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
In my case I only watched it last night. If it has a legal stream on Crunchyrool, where I'm a member, I might as well wait the couple days to watch it there. It gives me something new to watch on a wednesday too, often a dead night of the week for some reason. Others may be like me but didn't watch it the first available day, still other non-members might watch it next week.

Unfortunately my mind refused to turn off enough to enjoy it on its own and I kept trying to think of the similarities between it and Please Teacher and consider what it means for the show. It seems obvious that familiarity with the previous show is completely unnecessary, but becasue I was familiar with it, I kept thinking about it.
First scene, check. Most of the supporting have corresponding counterparts, check. Alien is a new teacher, no, she's a new student. spoiler[Mysterious sleeping sickness that means our hero is actually legally 19], no check- yet (but becasue it's possible I put it in spoilers) . Interesting, as that was a plotline that, IIRC, was never explained in the show and would be something that could be solved if this were to be formally connected to that show. Of course, if he's not spoiler[19...] and she's not an "adult" that means the other big plot point of the Please Teacher series probably won't be occurring either.

I think I'm going to have to rewatch the old show this weekend in order to better remind myself and clear my head of wondering. I wish they would have made it more clear if this really is supposed to be a formal reworking or if it's just taking a section of it for inspiration... and similar characters... and similar setting. No, it's a reworking- just how much of it is similar is a small question.

But I realize I shouldn't get hung up on that, Anime does reworkings. My Favorite franchise, Tenchi Muyo, did so regularly and every non-Tenchi show by that creator still heavily borrowed aspects from it. It didn't stop me from enjoying those. It will just take some time.

I did love the way she was invited to the house though, I liked many small moments.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. My favourite bit was the part where Katio thinks he's just daydreaming about inviting Ichika to stay with him and then discovers it's actually happening. Laughing

I'm in.
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
i really liked this, i enjoyed Please Teacher and AnoHana so i'd hoped this wouldn't disappoint and it didn't, although i guess i can see how you might find it more of the same, either because of the similarities to Please Teacher or just because it another high school romance series

Firstly, the whole spoiler[alien girlfriend] theme seems to be the driving force behind this series too, although personally i don't see why that should be a problem, just because something is similar to something else doesn't mean it isn't good
Secondly, some character designs do resemble other characters, mainly Kaito has a vague resemblence to Jintan from Anohana and Yamano has a similar design to Ichigo from Please Teacher, although some may not agree i just thought they looked somewhat similar

as for the episode itself, i really enjoyed it, it didn't show a whole lot but it set up nicely the rest of the series, with the characters all being introduced and spoiler[getting together to make the film], along with a little mystery with spoiler[what exactly happened to Kaito that night and what does it mean for the rest of the series].

so overall, AnoNatsu had a far from groundbreaking start, in fact it's possibly one of the least groundbreaking starts i've ever seen, but at the same time it executed better than most and had an upbeat, happy feel

i give it a 9/10 start because i don't hold its similarities against it, i actually enjoy similarities between series cause lets face it, you don't copy another series' idea unless its good right? if you don't enjoy similarities and are looking for the next unique, groundbreaking series, it's probably about a 6/10 at best
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Slice-of-life anime doesn't break ground... It sits on the ground, rolls a picnic blanket out, unpacks the bento boxes and muses about days spent with its friends Wink
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Only in anime will a older sister and guardian allow a stranger to live alone with a boy Very Happy . I am loving this Remon girl, she is exactly like the student president in the 2 please series. I bet her drink had alcohol in it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Remon rocks, her laugh brings a smile to my face, she sounds like an evil Nanoha. Her unrealistic movie ideas, and her funny joke on choice of drink, though none of them realised that she did not drink any. At least drunk they barely cared about the strange alien creature, though for some reason Remon did not care either.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
aww, now this is why i really hate it when i watch ongoing series, i really love this series, it may not be original but it keeps me wanting more and now i have to wait 7 days again!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Request: Can whoever posts about the next episode use Episode # before each post? It helps with the indexing.

Not too different from the first episode, but that's not a bad thing at all. There's definitely romantic tension in the air, but it seems like Ichika doesn't want to explore that, which I respect since she probably won't be in the same galaxy for very long. Tanigawa's jealousy is also very cute. It annoyed me at first because she was so aggressive about it, but she's really grown on me now.

I do wonder now what Ishigaki meant when he said, "No, I'm the idiot" and why Mio looked so depressed. I think Tanigawa's jealousy is going to be the main source of drama for this series, and I'm quite curious how the whole thing with all the characters and their feelings will play out.

I'm also wondering what Remon's true goal was with getting everyone drunk. She's too conniving to do it for shits and giggles, so I want to know what she wanted.

This show is sooooo good so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9