• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
So, is there a concept of "awkward-moe"?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I liked the Highschool of the Dead bit, made me warm up to the series a bit since the time period kind of alienates itself from me a bit. But putting a fairly recent anime as a live action movie in.... I am not sure when it is set, I am 21 so it just looks old to me Laughing .

There's been a lot of talk about where the show is set. Is it the 80's, 90's, before Please Teacher, after Please Twins? But I think one pretty obvious thing lets us know what the time frame is: Their skirts are really short. That right there tells me it's in about present time, so that excludes the 80's or 90's, at least to me it does. Now, whether or not it's before or after Please Teacher is still up to wonder, but it doesn't seem to be way in the future or the past, so it's probably just an alternate storyline that doesn't have much in common with the Please franchise, other than being very, very similar to them and setup and characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else get the feeling that spoiler[Remon's "playfulness" is a cover for her own feelings for Ichika? Or perhaps my yuri goggles are messing with my mind again.]

And King of Harts, I may be confusing my anime (I'm watching way too many shows right now) but aren't there cell phones in this anime? spoiler[My own theory is that Ichika is somehow related to the couple in Onegai Teacher, who has been taken offworld sometime in the past, and the place she is seeking is the town that both Onegai series took place in which she lived in as a child.]

Yttrbro: I think the original moe was probably awkward-moe, like Usagi from Sailor Moon and any number of clumsy girls in the bishoujo shows of the late nineties and early aughts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
There's been a lot of talk about where the show is set. Is it the 80's, 90's, before Please Teacher, after Please Twins? But I think one pretty obvious thing lets us know what the time frame is: Their skirts are really short. That right there tells me it's in about present time, so that excludes the 80's or 90's, at least to me it does.

But isn't the camera like old, cars are older, I can't remember any mobile phones being used, he could have used it to find the girl when they became seperated instead of saying he looked for her.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
There's been a lot of talk about where the show is set. Is it the 80's, 90's, before Please Teacher, after Please Twins? But I think one pretty obvious thing lets us know what the time frame is: Their skirts are really short. That right there tells me it's in about present time, so that excludes the 80's or 90's, at least to me it does.

But isn't the camera like old, cars are older, I can't remember any mobile phones being used, he could have used it to find the girl when they became seperated instead of saying he looked for her.

I've not paid enough attention to comment on the cars but I don't think that the camera being old is really all that relevant to nailing the time in which this series takes place. I don't believe that even in Japan, a high school student would have the top of the line, brand new fully featured HD camera. Especially not an orphaned youngster like the lead in this story. I'd point out that Tamayura feels like it takes place in the "now" and the lead character in that uses an old appearing 35mm camera. Also, I feel like the fashion being worn by the girls in this series doesn't seem dated.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
They also have a pretty modern fax machine, hot water dispenser, bathtub, and Remon talks about her script involving a lot of CG. The very revealing clothing Manami wears is also something pretty recent, I think. I believe the rural setting is just making it seem further in the past than it is. I don't know how many of you live in rural areas, but I live in a very rural one and it can seem like they're frozen in time.

The setting isn't all that important, but I do find myself wondering what the time frame is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Yttrbro: I think the original moe was probably awkward-moe, like Usagi from Sailor Moon and any number of clumsy girls in the bishoujo shows of the late nineties and early aughts.
Maybe, though that's just clumsy. Ichika's incredibly awkward attempts at dealing with situations she's clearly unequipped to deal with, right down to the way her eyeballs swim, is really working for me.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Maybe, though that's just clumsy. Ichika's incredibly awkward attempts at dealing with situations she's clearly unequipped to deal with, right down to the way her eyeballs swim, is really working for me.

I think the word you're looking for is flustered. Again, I think this has been a part of the moe all along, but more typically comes out as the girl being tsundere. The tsundere girl is tsun cause her inability to express herself finds an outlet in more violent behavior.

This is my theory, of course, and I could be wrong.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

And King of Harts, I may be confusing my anime (I'm watching way too many shows right now) but aren't there cell phones in this anime? spoiler[My own theory is that Ichika is somehow related to the couple in Onegai Teacher, who has been taken offworld sometime in the past, and the place she is seeking is the town that both Onegai series took place in which she lived in as a child.]

I think that would be a really cool way of connecting the two franchises. As for the show being dated, i never really got that feeling at all. The camera being that small to me seems to suggest the show would be happening around the present or near future if anything. A camera that size would not be something i would think would exist 10 or 20 years ago. If anything the feeling i got from the show was more of the story happening in a very rural/ segregated area of Japan. Also Kaito's sister having a job that would have her travel around would suggest she is somewhat successful and doesn't have a job that i would think a young woman would have had 10 to 20 years ago. I might be mistaken though.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about the time period, myself, but I could have sworn that I saw what looked like a current model Prius in one of the episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I believe the Onegai shows were set roughly "10 years in the future"... 10 years ago (although that timeline didn't completely make sense as it was set roughly 20+ years after a failed mission to Mars), so if the show is present day now it is actually set in the same time period.

Not that they put much thought into the future setting on the show back then- it had to be in the future to fit the plot point about the Mars mission but they treated everything as if it it were their present day- computers (and the main character in Twins was a programmer) and phones, and fax machines were all circa 2002- they made zero effort to predict technology advances even of the most minor level.

It's a little funny that I speak about this now because up until this episode I was very hung up on comparisons between the old shows and this one but this episode was the first where I was almost completely able to appreciate it on its own level and appreciate the characters as they are currently portrayed and not as counterparts to the previous shows. there's no mystery sickness, no similar forced situation, it's a much more straight-forward situation and I like what's going on. Although I'm guessing the pairings may end up in the same ways... although if they were to replicate that faithfully then then they need to introduce one more guy pretty soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Episode 4

Sister was hot.

Um, no. Sister was SUPER-FREAKIN', UNBELIEVABLY, OH-MY-SWEET-JESUS, hot. Apparently, animated Japan is just rammed with hot "older" women who enjoy nothing more than teasing young high school guys. At first, I thought Mamma Mia Manami was going to turn out to be Kaito's aunt, as these sultry teasers tend to be, so I was kind of surprised she wasn't a blood relative.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Oh Tetsurou spilled the beans thatspoiler[
Tanigawa is in love with Kaito. I have a feeling he might explore that option since he has a gut feeling that ichika is going to leave one day. Also since Ichika heard it she also might be even more careful not to lead on Kaito. I hope it works that way, as I am rooting for Tanigawa to win.]

Lemon definitely somehow knows that Ichika is an alien, as the movie's script is exactly the current life of Ichika living with a person who is in love with her but doesn't know that she is an alien.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Remon definetly seems clued on to Ichika's identity, even down to Rinon's purpose, I am almost up to the idea of her not being human.Well the reveal spoiler[to Kaito that Kana likes him should save some trouble of him figuring it out himself, or her confessing.]

An really what is the deal with Mio sitting naked in her room, do we have confirmation of her being a nudest, or does she just really like plushies.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
An really what is the deal with Mio sitting naked in her room, do we have confirmation of her being a nudest, or does she just really like plushies.
both perhaps? definitely like plushies but nude in the middle of the day? i was willing to put the first time down to just going in/got out of the shower when phone went or something like that since it was late evening but now i'm thinking twice about that assumption
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9