• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Tokyo ESP (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, mystery, romance, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: espers

Plot Summary: The science fantasy story Tokyo ESP begins with Rinka, an extremely poor high school girl who lives with just her father in modern Tokyo. One day, she is going home from school when she chases a "flying penguin" to the top of New Tokyo Tower—only to have "fish swimming in the air" suddenly appear before her. One of the fish goes through Rinka and gives her extraordinary powers beyond those of normal humans, particularly the ability to slip through solid objects.
----------------------------------

Fun premise there and this is from the author that wrote Gai-Rei. I see promise if it delivers the comedy I remember along with the action. The first CM was released earlier today as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
An ESP spoiler[rebellion]?
They have pretty cool powers too.
The attacks looked rather well organized.
Seems like they have opposition.
This should be interesting.
Hopefully it'll have a nice drama-action balance.
Will give it a try.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
So this is basically Tokyo X-Men. Which is cool. I really liked the first episode. Great, dynamic action sequences. Solid, energetic music that definitely helped pump up said action. Very nice art design. Lots of black, heavy shadows but lots of nice splashes of color here and there. In general, just such an energetic show that it was tough not to get caught up in it. Damn cool villains. The "Professor" has immediate gravitas and screen presence. It's basically neat just to watch him and his crewspoiler[ launch their attack on the city.]

Mind you, this episode was a little awkward at times because they didn't give us much introduction and covered a lot of different characters but honestly, if it's a choice between this and info dumping I definitely find this way more enjoyable. It really wasn't too hard to get what's going on anyway. They do a nice job of setting up that we are indeed coming in right in the middle of things. What with the spoiler[tanks and blockades and the general lack of surprise when Parliament takes off], its clear that spoiler[espers exist in this world and have been a source of ongoing strife.]

Meanwhile, spoiler[our rag tag team of good espers show up to fight them. I like them by the way. They're a neat pair, with the powers of future sight and psycometry they're placed in an interesting role as observers, quite informed of what's going on put perhaps lacking the actual power to do much of anything.] Hence, I gather, their interest in the mysterious White Girl who has helped people in the past but evidently is MIA at the moment (Did anyone check Starbucks?) Really, the only part that tripped me up was the guys in the orange jumpsuits. I guess they're a 3rd party? Some kind of spoiler[anti esper team?] Probably would have made sense to wait to introduce them until after the actual good guys.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Was pretty good, a bit jumble and seemingly random, and I feel like the girl in red was in something else before, so it kinda feel like it's a second season, wonder how many people they'll lose because of that.

A bit disappointed that they use the same trick that all the ESP show use, where the ester somehow have a "stupid aura" which make all the normal human forget how gun work, sometime going so far as making them forgetting they have them. spoiler[Like the orange jumpsuit guy, instead of just shooting at her (which would kill her, she can teleport but that doesn't mean she can avoid a bullet, those things travel fast) he decide to shoot at the bike (which would take the same amount of time as shooting her) so that maybe the explosion will occur and maybe that'll take her out, he was lucky too since she decided to jump over the bike instead of just teleporting away... Or the giant guy, sure he's giant, now he's just an bigger target...] It just kinda take away from the whole "normal human are powerless", when there not, they just choose to do nothing.

Oh and I so hope they don't try to do a moral and talking about how human should accept different people. There's a huge difference between being of a difference sexual orientation/race and being able to kill thousands of people with your mind at any time. It makes no sense to try and separate people when there exactly like us, no more or less dangerous. It make complete sense to try and separate people when they're a billion time more deadly than us.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Why's she gotta be a white girl?

ikillchicken wrote:
Really, the only part that tripped me up was the guys in the orange jumpsuits. I guess they're a 3rd party? Some kind of spoiler[anti esper team?] Probably would have made sense to wait to introduce them until after the actual good guys.
Their first episode record is not so hot... waiting to introduce them later would probably be a bad idea.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
I hope that this show is doing the same thing that Ga Rei Zero did (the previous show based on this guy's manga), which was to have a first episode that had nothing to do with the rest of the series.

For those that read the manga, this storyline should be the first season finale, but none of this material was directly out of the manga, it would be a side story taking place at the same time as the main story, featuring numerous original characters (like the orange jumpsuit guys), presumably to get into the big action quickly and show off how big things will get, because if episode two jumps back to the beginning of the manga then it will have a slightly slower build.

Of course they could just ride it out and continue on to Part 2 of the manga instead, which would be disappointing since I liked Act 1 a bit better. I was really looking forward to this series, and now I don't know quite what to think of it, but I remain hopeful.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, the first episode was felt similar to Ga Rei Zero. Oh well, we should be getting to the main plot from ESP soon with that ending there. I hope this adaptation will have some decent comedy too.

The action is great so far imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Very Happy <---my face when I saw Kagura and Yomi and PDCH officers

Dang, this is all kinds of different than the manga, but I love it lol they probably will jump back to how Rinka met all the others though, which is fine as long as they hurry through it.

First episode was great, has a lot of good action and her signature attack call (PSY-KICK!!!). If that ending song is the intro to the rest of the series, can't wait to see the animation they place with it Smile Definitely as good as I thought it would be
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So teleporter girl can kill entire teams of well armed professional soldiers, but spoiler[she was having trouble against one guy in a jump suit who then teamed up with a woman on a motorbike]? I though maybe she was just spoiler[humouring them since she seems badass that she could kill him in a second]. Wondering if this is all playing into the Japanese fear of spoiler[another force taking over their country, making some good ESPers and thus X-Men] might take a little out of those fears.

Personally the villains looked pretty cool, totally liked the visual flair for teleporting. And the idea of spoiler[tricking armed people into shooting their selves out by making them think each one is them] is like a dream I had for a super hero. I like to think of some pretty dark super heroes okay.

I kind of like the presentation of the episode, but how it will handle a more thorough exposition or feel out for the characters may be important.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So this is basically Tokyo X-Men.

Yeah, so far this is the anime form of the live action X-men flicks for better or worst.

The issue is that when it comes to "a world with super powered people" the concept is hardly unique in anime.

We haven't been introduced to the "mysterious white haired girl" yet so I will give it a chance to see what kind of person she turns out to be (hopefully it will be a good surprise but I won't holding my breath)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I will say, those who have read the manga know that it definitely IS the "anime X-Men," the creator of the series makes no bones about that, with the girl in white being spoiler[Kitty Pryde], her partner being spoiler[Nightcrawler], and her dad being spoiler[Wolverine]. I love it though, because it's such a wacked out version of the X-Men, and so much better than Western attempts at making a Japanese superteam like Big Hero 6 or Super Young Team.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this follows Ga-Rei Zero's style spoiler[most everyone just introduced will be hamburger by episode 3 and then we'll get a completely different plot.] The plot of this was all kinds of different from what I was reading as far as synopsis for this show. I also didn't know that this and Ga-Rei shared an author so I had to check I was watching the right show when spoiler[Kagura and Yomi appeared along with other familiar faces.] Confused
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit surprised they started out right at the climax, but doing so is hardly uncommon. The next episode title is "Girl Meets Boy," so that means we'll be going back to the beginning.

spoiler[Kagura and Yomi] having a cameo was a given, but I didn't expect spoiler[that dead squad from episode one] to show up in that capacity. I'll try to avoid thinking too hard about how the timelines match up.

Also, I was pretty sure Murasaki was a lot younger than how she's shown here. Did they age her up?
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
...oh okay... so this "first" episode is near/is the end and they are going to basically start for the beginning some time soon.

That makes sense, as I was watching it I just felt so lost and had no idea what was going on. If they do start from the beginning soon and actually explain what is happening that might make this show more enjoyable.
Daolong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ga-Rei Zero started with some of the best anime Trolling of the viewers I have ever seen. If your not familiar with what I am talking then go back and watch the first few episodes of Ga-Rei Zero again.

If you haven't watched Ga-Rei Zero then shame on you. Go watch it while you wait for the next episode.

Since the author of the manga Tokyo ESP and Ga-Rei are the same, I would have been very surprised if a bit of "original" content didn't make it into the first episode or three. The real question is whether or not Tokyo ESP will actually follow the manga or if it will be a side story/spin-off/prequel.

Needless to say Tokyo ESP is probably the series I am most excited for this season, and thats saying something considering the shows its going head to head with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10