• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Lays Off 60% of Its Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
well i love media blasters have have most of their releases on DVD.. including kite, mezzo forte etc however it seems that anime on physical copies is going to the wayside. I really need to get some extra money to support the license companies as much as possible... I hate not having damn job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Squid Girl on bluray? When did this get announced? First I missed Spice & Wolf, now this. Double-dip, here I come.

By the way people: Ramen Fighter Miki is $10.

$10!

You probably spent more than that on lunch today.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well i love media blasters have have most of their releases on DVD.. including kite, mezzo forte etc however it seems that anime on physical copies is going to the wayside. I really need to get some extra money to support the license companies as much as possible... I hate not having damn job.
I know that feel, I know that feel so much. If I had one, this collection would be much bigger.
http://bigonanime.dvdaf.com/owned
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I've always had the 'teetering on the edge' feeling with Media Blaster, so I'm not surprised to see this. I feel for all those who lost their job and I hope they can rebound quickly.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to what the state of anime will be like in NA this time next year seeing as how 2012 isn't off to a great start at all
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
I'm curious as to what the state of anime will be like in NA this time next year seeing as how 2012 isn't off to a great start at all
This should give a good idea, probably more decline (2011 probably was more decline.). Unfortunately, JETRO puts out those reports once every two years, so we won't see the next until early 2013.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/america-2009-anime-market-pegged-at-us$2.741-billion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel really bad for Media Blasters, I have always felt they listened to the fans and just tried harder then other anime companies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see another anime company circle the drain.

The only Media Blasters release I have is Giant Robo, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:
This should give a good idea, probably more decline (2011 probably was more decline.). Unfortunately, JETRO puts out those reports once every two years, so we won't see the next until early 2013.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/america-2009-anime-market-pegged-at-us$2.741-billion

Also note that while the chart makes it looks like the anime BD/DVD market is pretty steady from 2007, 2008, 2009 before taking 1/3 slice off in 2010 ~ looking at the top sellers suggests that is probably deceptive, since in 2009 they are counting Resident Evil: Degeneration and Final Fantasy 11,034 (OK, so I don't remember what number it is) as anime titles, so its more realistically a slide from around $300m in 2008 to around $200m in 2010 and setting aside what are really part of Videogame / Movie franchises, likely a chunk of that slide actually took place in 2009.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
And here we go again
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Downloading anime illegally has contributed to the current climate, but it isn't the only cause. People can't afford to buy anime because of the economy. I haven't been able to buy anime for awhile.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:

Also note that while the chart makes it looks like the anime BD/DVD market is pretty steady from 2007, 2008, 2009 before taking 1/3 slice off in 2010 ~ looking at the top sellers suggests that is probably deceptive, since in 2009 they are counting Resident Evil: Degeneration and Final Fantasy 11,034 (OK, so I don't remember what number it is) as anime titles, so its more realistically a slide from around $300m in 2008 to around $200m in 2010 and setting aside what are really part of Videogame / Movie franchises, likely a chunk of that slide actually took place in 2009.
Though one thing that is clear regardless, the market here has shrunk so much since the glory days of the anime boom, and when the media was onto it quite a bit. The market is much smaller than when I really got into this stuff 3 years ago.

Also kinda of off-topic, but I would say one reason for the decline in 2008-2010 is singles disappearing. Companies while they sell more copies of shows don't make as much money as singles make more money. Other factors include entitled fans ("No dub and no Blu-ray? **** that!"), piracy, bad business decisions, and (I consider it not all that big of one.) the economy.

I'd say Media Blasters downfall (Well the start of one anyway.) right here would be mainly due to bad business decisions because really, how many titles do they have that a lot of people want to buy that'll earn them the kind of money Sentai and FUNi does?
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well at least they'll still release new titles, unlike Bandai Entertainment.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I'd feel more sorry if they weren't holding Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Hostage.... They weren't doing anything anyway. Getting paid to sit at a desk and do nothing.

Yeah, but Media Blasters haven't license the 2010 OVA anime Queen's Blade: The Beautiful Warriors yet.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

This report is skewed like a parallelogram. Much of the data consists of Pokemon and Dragonball sales.

I'm not confident the anime market was strong to begin with. Had FUNimation not acquired Dragonball, it would be a much different company than it is today.

One would have to be mad if they think we anime fans could ever generate $300 million in sales without the Pokemon/Dragonball sales.

Numbers don't lie, but they do mislead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7