• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Lays Off 60% of Its Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mangajunky wrote:
Speaking as a former employee, For those of you thinking that MB is going under, remember that 5 or 6 employees is how the company started. It's a plucky company and they've got some great licenses.

Thank you for this reminder.

It's nice to see a ray of hope amidst the naysayers around here.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised I get all my legal anime from crunchyroll now anyway.

There's really no point in buying anime now as rewatchability no longer has any meaing with the sheer amount of media, anime or otherwise cheaply available.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Am I the only one who feels the panic over this is a little reactionary? Yes, it sounds scary to hear that Media Blasters lost 60% of their staff. It's a little less scary when you read the article to find they only had 15 non-freelance employees to begin with, have offered to let the 9 or 10 people who were cut to continue on freelance and have no plans to decrease on releases. It's not unusual nowadays for companies to operate with a bare bones full-time staff supplemented by freelancers.... I'm reluctant to take it as a sign that Media Blasters will be gone within the month.

Agreed. Companies are always looking at the bottom line and often the number of freelance or contracted employees versus full-time employees will decrease or increase depending upon economic conditions or job description. As pointed out by mangajunky, five or six employees is what the company started with.

Mc-Taz wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
I have always felt they listened to the fans and just tried harder then other anime companies.

I can vouch for this myself. They are the only anime company that has actually responded to emails that I have sent in to them. And what impressed me even more was that they responded within minutes of me sending the email. Granted this may not be the case everytime, but I feel Media Blasters is great when it comes to customer service.

I had a good customer service experience with them, as well. One of my Teknoman discs from the Complete Collection wouldn't play past a certain episode. Early the day after I'd sent my e-mail, they responded with an offer to replace the volume with the problem disc and full instructions for sending the affected volume back to them.

I don't have a lot of titles from MB, but I was always appreciative of them picking up Moribito. Though not standard, I liked the cases and artwork that the DVDs were released with. I even double-dipped when they released that title on BD.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
See this?

I think this kind of news for this industry will be commonplace. The only way for this kind of bleeding throughout this industry to stop is to hope & pray for congress to pass SOPA and PIPA swiftly this year!

Well maybe you should unsubscribe your ISP because once those bills have passed all you are about to see on the Internet is...nothing. Most of the legit sites will be taken down like bystanders from a lunatic's shooting rampage, these laws will without a doubt become easier to be abused by lunatic companies.

Aside from my suggestive rant, it's really sad to see those companies cutting down on staff and work, but I do feel in a sense of optimism something good will come out in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7