• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Stream Naruto on Naruto.com Within 1 Week of Japanese Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news, and I'll be perfectly happy to watch the free subbed version available through a LEGITIMATE source. Very Happy The one-week thing is probably a calculated move, the news post just above this on on the front page said TV Tokyo will have episodes released about an hour afterwards for a monthly fee, right? So they probably have an agreement for Viz to wait so as not to take buisness from that. (TV Tokyo will also do the 'free after a week' thing too.)

I really hope people will cooperate and make this work, Viz is really and truly trying everything in their power to work with the fans and still make it work for their wallets too, we should be helping them not thwarting them! Ultimately we've got the same goal, right? We both want Naruto (or really whatever anime it is) to succeed.

[EDIT] Ack, can't believe I said Funi, not Viz. *headdesk* Ah well, thanks to the person who pointed that out!!!

Last edited by Dahling on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh what a supirse, legal method, legal red tape magicaly denying me the chance to watch anything.

Here's an idea, the fansubsers arn't bound to this utter nonsence and nether should they, given it's the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I hope this plan fails.

And so it begins.

Anyone who has checked out Hulu.com knows that streaming can be surprisingly high quality these days. Is it the same thing as a well-encoded H264 video? Not quite, but it's getting close at this point. I also feel the issue may be moot as a lot of the fansub consumers are watching on Youtube and similar sites which re-encode/downscale to such a degree that it'd be hard to find something worse looking.

Of course if Hulu.com/crunchyroll/whoever doesn't want to give me the time of day because I'm in the UK, then it's all a moot point now isn't it?
Or, hell, it's even worse now because no one will freakin' touch the stuff on hulu fansubs wise (as they shouln't, of course) so I'm up the creak with no paddle.

All I'm saying is when forging the path to awesome, don't screw your customers over just because they don't happen to live in the mother land.

My hand is streched out with the money on thier, ether they take it now or I go over to my bittorent client and get the shows that way. It's one or the other. Because I will frech kiss a shotgun well before I concider "Just be happy that america has it" to be a valid option.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Of course if Hulu.com/crunchyroll/whoever doesn't want to give me the time of day because I'm in the UK, then it's all a moot point now isn't it?
Or, hell, it's even worse now because no one will freakin' touch the stuff on hulu fansubs wise (as they shouln't, of course) so I'm up the creak with no paddle.

All I'm saying is when forging the path to awesome, don't screw your customers over just because they don't happen to live in the mother land.

My hand is streched out with the money on thier, ether they take it now or I go over to my bittorent client and get the shows that way. It's one or the other. Because I will frech kiss a shotgun well before I concider "Just be happy that america has it" to be a valid option.

That is one of the more legit issues people bring up time and again, but as always it really boils down to this. "You won't give it to me, so I'm going to steal it." I'm not saying "be happy because America has it." What I am saying is just because something exists doesn't give every internet anarchist the right to take whatever they please. Again, if this was YOUR prized creation and YOUR job to sell it, you'd probably be heartbroken to find people were stealing especially in such quantity.

Furthermore, if such business models are successful in America (outside of Crunchyroll who is going legit and worldwide), then more services and websites will follow. It's only a matter of time.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Conan-san, wouldn't your passion here be more constructively directed at telling a licensing company in your own country to try to do the same thing than being angry that it's being done in another country?
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
I bet on day one all the fansub snots will have at least a million new excuses. Don't like the fonts, no karaoke opening text, a week is too long, not stealing ruins the "rebel-without-a-clue" factor, must be mistranslated because the F-Bomb is missing, isn't on a pirate website with the community they love... Did I miss anything? ... ingrates.

I agree. The first thing we're going to hear from those selfish-brats is nothing bitching and moaning. Seriously, fan subbers are the most winiest people ever.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:
I bet on day one all the fansub snots will have at least a million new excuses. Don't like the fonts, no karaoke opening text, a week is too long, not stealing ruins the "rebel-without-a-clue" factor, must be mistranslated because the F-Bomb is missing, isn't on a pirate website with the community they love... Did I miss anything? ... ingrates.

I agree. The first thing we're going to hear from those selfish-brats is nothing bitching and moaning. Seriously, fan subbers are the most winiest people ever.

No, the people who WATCH fansubs are the most whiny. The fansubbers themselves aren't whiny at all, they're more, um... full of themselves?

In any case, I really can't see much of a reason for them to continue subbing these shows now. Sure, the fansub watchers will bitch and moan, but I can imagine the fansubbers doing these shows might face a bit of a motivational problem when 50% of their audience disappears suddenly.

The news about crunchyroll removing all user uploaded content is the big new here.
I can only assume that they have some kind of secret loophole they are planning and/or have been forced to do this under threat of a crushing lawsuit Smile. Either way, it's good for anime in the long run, and once they remove the infringing content I will remove my general dislike of them.
Sure, they may have made their initial money from fansubs, but now they are getting things moving in the right direction on the Japanese side. Kind of like myself, actually...
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
So Viz has confirmed that they're releasing up to volume 44 of Naruto now? That's great news =D Even if I have to wait 3 months in between releases, I'm more than happy to on account of being caught up with the Japanese.

And since Viz is going to air Shippuuden to be caught up with Japan, does that mean that the games will be caught up, too?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
HOLY *BLEEP!* THIS IS MAJOR!

Does this mean Shippuden is licensed now?!
braves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
JediJaina wrote:
Maile posted on her MySpace on October 28th that she has started recording Shippuden so they will not be changing the English VA for Naruto. It's not a hint, they've already started.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=44647860&blogID=444489228

Yes! Cool From what few episodes I've seen of Naruto Shippuden, it isn't that great compared to the first series (though the manga is just as solid), but I would drop it entirely if the main English cast were not to come back.

Even though I'm not interested on the Crunchyroll thing, I might give this one a shot....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
that good news i just hope that they dub it when they put it on dvd
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
that good news i just hope that they dub it when they put it on dvd

Maile has said on her MySpace that they are going to dub it using the same cast as Part 1.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
HOLY *BLEEP!* THIS IS MAJOR!

Does this mean Shippuden is licensed now?!

Seeing as how things are with this news, I would say it's a safe bet that Naruto Shippuuden is definitely licensed by Viz.

I, for one, think this idea is groundbreaking. I will watch both the official subbed version and the dubbed version when they're released.

Does this mean that they're going to be showing both version at the same time when they're at the same point in the anime timeline?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool, but I wonder what the point of companies complaining about fansubs is then, if they're going to do the exact same thing. What, is the only difference advertisement? Why can't they just use the fansubbers and have them display their sponsors' ads? It'd be cheaper than hiring translators and subbers themselves, and let's face it, people watch fansubs for the speed AND for the subbing style, and these official subs aren't going to have extensive liner notes or whatever.

Oh well. I'm not complaining. It's a step in the right direction.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Conan-san, wouldn't your passion here be more constructively directed at telling a licensing company in your own country to try to do the same thing than being angry that it's being done in another country?
Why go tell some stupid smuck who can't blasted well release something as damn simple as Yu Yu Hakushou Properly to get the licence, get it put through the ringer by the BBFC and all that nonsence so that I can buy it at astronomicaly inflated prices when I can go to crunchy roll, hand them my £1.50 and get my High Quality Tower of Duraga episode within a week of it being out?

Not to mention the fact that Not a lot of people would probably buy uncut Digimon or Fist of the North Star so no amount of telling said smuck to get his finger out will get me any closer to geting my At-ta-ta-ta-ta on.

The point here is, I want it and will give them money for it. They're not giving me it and hence they are 100% in the wrong for it.

Last edited by ConanSan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeXT_Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty cool, I guess I'll have to check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7