• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Stream Naruto on Naruto.com Within 1 Week of Japanese Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey Conan!!

Probably they've just decided it'll be quickest to aim it at Americans first because they seem to have alot of power in this market and they know that their Naruto franchise is doing pretty well there. I'm sure if your just a little patient once they've decided this works (and the fans support it!!) then they'll focus on moving to other countries.

ALSO: VIZ IS NOT IN CHARGE OF UK RELEASES.

It's Manga Publisher, who may very well be sitting on their haunches and waiting to see what happens to Viz after this. Regardless bitching to Viz about not getting UK streams is going to do noone any good because they don't have any licensing power in the UK![/b]
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
This just better have good quality and no dubbing.But after all if there is no dubbing and they make naruto shuppiden uncut dvd box sets then buying the dvds might be almost useless.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
wangyamaki wrote:
This just better have good quality and no dubbing.But after all if there is no dubbing and they make naruto shuppiden uncut dvd box sets then buying the dvds might be almost useless.

Well, considering these are coming out 1 HOUR after broadcast, I don't think you need to worry about dubbing. Rolling Eyes Although, I don't really see how the box sets would be useless since it'll get dubbed eventually, and I don't see dubs as a reason to stay away from something as cool as this.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
That's pretty cool, but I wonder what the point of companies complaining about fansubs is then, if they're going to do the exact same thing. What, is the only difference advertisement? Why can't they just use the fansubbers and have them display their sponsors' ads? It'd be cheaper than hiring translators and subbers themselves, and let's face it, people watch fansubs for the speed AND for the subbing style, and these official subs aren't going to have extensive liner notes or whatever.

Oh well. I'm not complaining. It's a step in the right direction.

It's simple. Fansubbers are piracy distributors they can't control. They had no permission and have been asked to stop many times. They arrogantly lie and say "if we are asked to stop, we will". They never do until they get a legal notice or simply just don't stop. They add personal messages in, occasionally add or change things because they think they are "funny". They are more harsh language for no reason. Imagine with this level of arrogance and lack of control... The agreement would work for a week until they had creative difference or the fansubbers realized there is no incentive not to break the law other than the law and respect of the company who owns it.

The difference is they own it, they need to control it. That said, it sounds like "within 1 hour, worldwide" is the crunchyroll deal for paid users, and "within 1 week" is for the various other sites. These stories seem to imply Naruto Shippuden is coming to hulu, joust, naruto.com etc, etc. Yeah ads may be a part of it, so you know... they can be paid for their work. But there will be other differences, mostly related to control and professionalism.

Sorry kiddies, I don't expect the F-Bomb to make anymore repeat appearances.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
minakichan wrote:
That's pretty cool, but I wonder what the point of companies complaining about fansubs is then, if they're going to do the exact same thing. What, is the only difference advertisement? Why can't they just use the fansubbers and have them display their sponsors' ads? It'd be cheaper than hiring translators and subbers themselves, and let's face it, people watch fansubs for the speed AND for the subbing style, and these official subs aren't going to have extensive liner notes or whatever.

Oh well. I'm not complaining. It's a step in the right direction.

It's simple. Fansubbers are piracy distributors they can't control. They had no permission and have been asked to stop many times. They arrogantly lie and say "if we are asked to stop, we will". They never do until they get a legal notice or simply just don't stop. They add personal messages in, occasionally add or change things because they think they are "funny". They are more harsh language for no reason. Imagine with this level of arrogance and lack of control... The agreement would work for a week until they had creative difference or the fansubbers realized there is no incentive not to break the law other than the law and respect of the company who owns it.

The difference is they own it, they need to control it. That said, it sounds like "within 1 hour, worldwide" is the crunchyroll deal for paid users, and "within 1 week" is for the various other sites. These stories seem to imply Naruto Shippuden is coming to hulu, joust, naruto.com etc, etc. Yeah ads may be a part of it, so you know... they can be paid for their work. But there will be other differences, mostly related to control and professionalism.

Sorry kiddies, I don't expect the F-Bomb to make anymore repeat appearances.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's much easier to control people who actually work for the company then somebody who would likely be using this as an additional source of income. It's pretty unlikely that a fansubber would be offered enough to be able to live off of, so they wouldn't feel as compelled to follow company directions as an actual employee.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:

Anyone who has checked out Hulu.com knows that streaming can be surprisingly high quality these days. Is it the same thing as a well-encoded H264 video? Not quite, but it's getting close at this point. I also feel the issue may be moot as a lot of the fansub consumers are watching on Youtube and similar sites which re-encode/downscale to such a degree that it'd be hard to find something worse looking.

Yeah, Hulu is actually good quality. The quality is equal to the low grade divx files that Dattebayo releases.

I watch Fringe on Hulu and I can stream it in better video quality than what a SD broadcast looks like on my HDTV. The same for Shikabane-Hime. I have Naruto boxsets that look worse on my tv than the stream of that show on Hulu.

If they are seriously going to start showing pisodes where the Japanese show is at (which is in the 80s) i'll stop watching the fansubs. If Crunchyroll offers Hulu video quality, i'll do the option where you pay for it.

My issue was always that the US version was so far behind that you had to rely on fansubs or basically wait like 2 years for Naruto to finally catch up. I never had an issue with paying to watch a show that I like. Even with a minimum wage job, one hour of work can get you almost 3 episodes per week assuming its like $1.99 an episode.
Greed1914 wrote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's much easier to control people who actually work for the company then somebody who would likely be using this as an additional source of income. It's pretty unlikely that a fansubber would be offered enough to be able to live off of, so they wouldn't feel as compelled to follow company directions as an actual employee.

I can't imagine legit company ever paying fansubbers. They may do quality work but they are totally untrustworthy.
I'd feel like they would leak the shows 100% of the time... mainly because they have ZERO history of not leaking shows to the public. The whole concept of fansubbing is based around that principle.
Narutotard12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Are they dubbing Shippuden? I went to the website and watched the trailer and they have english voices!
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Narutotard12 wrote:
Are they dubbing Shippuden? I went to the website and watched the trailer and they have english voices!

Not yet, but Maile is working on recording at the moment, according to her blog on Myspace (although, I question if she even has Myspace).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkrunner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, all that complaining and carrying on finally got somewhere. This was exactly what was being petitioned for in all the "fansubbing and the industry" discussions throughout the last year: legal English releases significantly close to the Japanese release date.

To the folks who said that companies should hire fansubbers: would you hire people who steal for fun? Whether it's fair or right, we do not have legal access to those shows. And how do you know the fansubbers translate better? They could just as easily throw in expletives so people will watch. Unless you speak fluent Japanese, you can't judge accuracy of subs, and if you speak Japanese, why do you need subs to begin with? Get the raw releases or BUY THE JAPANESE DVDs. It's not a cheap option, but it IS an option.

Conan-san wrote:
Well excuse me for wanting to buy something.

Hell, when I even mentioned BTing the shows, that's not even going to be an issue anyway because most fansubers, opposite what people might belive do leave things alone when they're licenced and airing uncut.

So realy I'm just up the creak.

But whatever, the US has it yay the us, leave us Europeons with our faces to the ground and stamp the back of our heads into the mud with your gloromeican boots.

So are you demanding them within a week of airing, or do you just want episodes in general? If you're willing to spend the money to download, again, you could always buy the Japanese DVDs. Europe is R2, just like Japan, so there's no problems there. I would think they'd have English subs, though if not, that would certainly be a problem...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I only know about this because I seen a blog for Derek Stephen Prince, he stated that they were finishing up the final episodes of Naruto, before the transition into Shippuden.

xD Though I'm probably going to wait for the dub since I don't necessarily watch anime online at all.

I like my TV. =D
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
tempest wrote:
There are definitely fansubbers and fansub consumers who whine and moan excessively. But I'm pretty sure Datebayo, which is the only fansub group that really matters when it comes to Naruto, will cease working on the title in the very near future.

*sigh* I was thinking this too. Kudos to them for sticking to unlicenced series, but if DB stops fansubbing Shippuuden, what happens to those of us outside the US/Canada region? Sad

They can start their own fansubbers. Laughing
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I had to calm down a bit before posting... I can't believe this is happening. It's like the one of the best dreams comes true. Viz, of all companies, is doing everything right (with Naruto). I'm just so happy right now, you have no idea...

Just one question. It seems like they'll have only streamed the first 16 episodes before they get to 90-whatever on January 15. So, are we supposed to already know the story between episodes 16 and 90? Will Viz's release of the manga be at the equivalent of Shippuden episode 90 or so by January 15?

EDIT: Also, just checked out Naruto.com. There's a preview for Shippuden with... the dub voices? What? Why? I guess they just dubbed the two lines there, but still, that's kind of weird, since the episodes they'll be streaming will be subbed. Confused
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Dahling wrote:
This is fantastic news, and I'll be perfectly happy to watch the free subbed version available through a LEGITIMATE source. Very Happy The one-week thing is probably a calculated move, the news post just above this on on the front page said TV Tokyo will have episodes released about an hour afterwards for a monthly fee, right? So they probably have an agreement for Funimation to wait so as not to take buisness from that. (TV Tokyo will also do the 'free after a week' thing too.)

I really hope people will cooperate and make this work, Funimation is really and truly trying everything in their power to work with the fans and still make it work for their wallets too, we should be helping them not thwarting them! Ultimately we've got the same goal, right? We both want Naruto (or really whatever anime it is) to succeed.

Do you mean VIZ and not FUNimation?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I had to calm down a bit before posting... I can't believe this is happening. It's like the one of the best dreams comes true. Viz, of all companies, is doing everything right (with Naruto). I'm just so happy right now, you have no idea...

Just one question. It seems like they'll have only streamed the first 16 episodes before they get to 90-whatever on January 15. So, are we supposed to already know the story between episodes 16 and 90? Will Viz's release of the manga be at the equivalent of Shippuden episode 90 or so by January 15?

EDIT: Also, just checked out Naruto.com. There's a preview for Shippuden with... the dub voices? What? Why? I guess they just dubbed the two lines there, but still, that's kind of weird, since the episodes they'll be streaming will be subbed. Confused

From what I read Viz will be putting Shippuuden on its official site until it catches up. Then I'm guessing they'll let Hulu and Friends handle it. So yeah, I guess they expect viewers to already know if they're going to just jump in, and for those that don't they will have to use Viz's site.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
In all likelihood,we'll probably watch the first dubbed episode of Naruto Shippudden in August 2011.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7